• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working with rubbing compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with rubbing compound

I just recently used the deep crystal paint cleaner and tried the scratch X, along with deep polish and deep crystal carnauba wax on my black civic...the lighter swirls were gone but alot we're still there.
    (Long story short my sis washed my car for my birthday with the green side of a dish sponge) the swirls looks like the one on this bmw, I was wodering what was used on it to get the result on the right???
    I was considering a rubbing compound or the Meguiars Ultimate compound....and suggestions???
    thanks

Re: Working with rubbing compound

Rubbing Compound you will want to avoid like the plague. It will open a whole new can of worms.

As for your car, given what you have already tried, my thoughts are that Ultimate Compound is likely in order.

Just to double check, can you describe your process and technique? Believe it or not the majority of the time it isn't the product that needs to be considered, but the technique to get the results you are after.

Bottom line, when you are removing fairly severe swirls or scratches you will want to use a foam or terry applicator and quite a bit of force, while working in small areas. Often times people treat ScratchX and similar products like a wax and just spread them over the paint, which does not allow the product to work at all.

Comment

+2 for the Ultimate compound. It should take care of your swirls.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I used a foam applicator and worked in small areas, pretty hard...my right arm is sore this morning :P I spent about and hour or more just on the hood...but i'll give the ultimate compound a try.

Comment

'Don't let your sister wash the car again'

Comment

Firm believer in M105, the stuff is amazing !

Comment

if you're working by hand, you're going to expend a LOT of elbow grease to get a finish approaching anything near that which you would get via a DA or rotary buffer. And if you're working on black, you'll see every single flaw in the proper lighting.

I suppose it can be done, but it's going to take time & patience.

Good luck.
              R. Smith
              Santa Clarita, CA

Comment

When using the compound what pad would be the best to use it with? I tried it by hand and the swirls are still there.

Comment

By hand you could use foam or terry. Terry would be more agressive, and thus more likely to leave behind some marks.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');