• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting wax off of plastic parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: getting wax off of plastic parts

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
    I tried UQD, it just smears it.. I tried a spot with W-d40 and that works but. I dont wanna get any on the paint. Would just a simple wash take it off.. I am not sure.. or else like m40 or trim detailer?
    Since I remove all tape...and deal with any residue...immediately after polishing I simply use the same IPA bottle and give it a quick spritz then wipe away with clean microfiber.

Comment

what does IPA contain

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
      My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

what does IPA contain
        IPA = isopropyl alchohol....the stuff you find at Walgreen's or CVS. It is used after completing a polishing step to completely remove all oils, lubricants, and "fillers" left behind by the polish so you can get an accurate picture of defect removal. It also works well on gummy residues like tape or glue and is safe if some gets on the paint.

Comment

what does IPA contain
          It's a bitter drink made from fermented wheat, barley, and hops. Most people like it, I really don't...I much prefer Heffewiezen style beers, but to each their own.

I think he's talking about Isopropyl Alcohol though - rubbing alcohol. It contains Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen:
          C3H7OH
          If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Just keep in mind that a lot of "dressings" without cleaning agents will darken the plastic and mask the wax residue, but may not fully remove it.

I like to use a small scrub brush, or toothbrush and either M39 or M40. I prefer M39 since it is a pure cleaner and I know it is removing, rather than masking.

All-purpose cleaner and APC+ also usually work quite well with the same method.

Then follow with the dressing of choice like M40, Gold Class Trim Detailer etc.

thanks mark, that was what i was looking for. Can I get m39 at an autoparts store?

Comment

I would call ahead to your local parts store. On my side of Florida chain stores do not have the same inventory. A couple of calls will save you a lot of running around.

I also like #39 for this purpose.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by xterranole View Post
                thanks mark, that was what i was looking for. Can I get m39 at an autoparts store?
                Down here it's almost impossible to find at an autoparts store but there are plenty of PBE stores in our area that do carry a full line of Meguiar's professional line products.

Comment

Erasers work well at removing wax residue. I have a big pink eraser in my detailing arsenal, just for this purpose. The eraser debris can get a bit messy, but that's easier to deal w/ than dry wax is.
                  1999 Ford Contour SVT
                  Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
                  1966/2760

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                    Down here it's almost impossible to find at an autoparts store but there are plenty of PBE stores in our area that do carry a full line of Meguiar's professional line products.

pbe???

Comment

Originally posted by xterranole View Post
                      pbe???

PBE= Paint, Body and Equipment stores. If you look in the Yellow Pages, you should see a listing for body shop equipment and supplies.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');