• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting wax off of plastic parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting wax off of plastic parts

how can I best get wax off of my (unpainted) door handles, bumpers and rubber trim between the doors??? I had someone else wax my xterra for the first time and he did a good job getting the scratches out, but did not do a good job of keeping the was off the non-painted parts....

thanks

Re: getting wax off of plastic parts

I used Back to Black on those trims this past week on an 01' Xterra. Not a meguairs product sorry to say, but this Xterra drinks the stuff up!

2003' Ford SVT Cobra
    2007' Honda S2000

My Cobra: http://0-1320feet.com/other_mycar.html

Comment

I need to get some of that, but will it take wax off of the handles???

Comment

Hi,A dab of vegetable oil on a cloth will take away the wax streaks on your bare plastic parts.

Comment

Originally posted by xterranole View Post
          I need to get some of that, but will it take wax off of the handles???
          Yes...I accidently took the tap off on one of the door handles thinking i was finished with applying #26 on the doors. So rather then take the time to re-tape it, i just told my self becareful...not!

Got the wax right on the door handle. Plus ive used it on mustang cowls with success. Just make sure to wait a little for it to dry and wipe it off.
          2003' Ford SVT Cobra
          2007' Honda S2000

My Cobra: http://0-1320feet.com/other_mycar.html

Comment

I know that #39 takes off NXT wax (haven't tried it on NXT 2.0) off of plastic.

Comment

I have had problems with not tapping off areas. I recently use Black Magic Tire Wet, it worked really well.
              Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Originally posted by xterranole View Post
                how can I best get wax off of my (unpainted) door handles, bumpers and rubber trim between the doors??? I had someone else wax my xterra for the first time and he did a good job getting the scratches out, but did not do a good job of keeping the was off the non-painted parts....

thanks
                If you're looking for a Meguiar's professional line product go with M39 or M40. If you want something over the counter from your local auto parts store go with Mother's Back-to-Black.

Comment

I use M40 to clean up wax residue on trim and it really works great. Check your auto part's stores (Napa O'reilly's etc) I'm sure you can find it locally.

Comment

I use back-to black as well, mostly because of the restorative qualities of the product on fading trim.
                    M39 and M40 work very well too, but I like the slight shine that Back-To-Black gives the trim after application. I'd hazard a guess that HyperDressing or ASD would work as well.
                    When you use BTB, make sure you wipe it down after it dries, otherwise the next time it rains you'll get oily streaks down any paint below the trim (down the door if you apply it on the door handle)
                    If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Just keep in mind that a lot of "dressings" without cleaning agents will darken the plastic and mask the wax residue, but may not fully remove it.

I like to use a small scrub brush, or toothbrush and either M39 or M40. I prefer M39 since it is a pure cleaner and I know it is removing, rather than masking.

All-purpose cleaner and APC+ also usually work quite well with the same method.

Then follow with the dressing of choice like M40, Gold Class Trim Detailer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        Just keep in mind that a lot of "dressings" without cleaning agents will darken the plastic and mask the wax residue, but may not fully remove it.

I like to use a small scrub brush, or toothbrush and either M39 or M40. I prefer M39 since it is a pure cleaner and I know it is removing, rather than masking.

All-purpose cleaner and APC+ also usually work quite well with the same method.

Then follow with the dressing of choice like M40, Gold Class Trim Detailer etc.
                        Good call, I had forgotten about that. I don't have much black trim on my current vehicle, and none of it is prone to being waxed, so I haven't had to use anything to remove wax from trim in a long time.

I used to use a toothbrush with Orange Clean for removing wax from black trim, then BTB to shine it up again.
                        If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

what would a guy use to remove that sticky glue that comes from masking tape?

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
                          My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                            what would a guy use to remove that sticky glue that comes from masking tape?
                            If it's bad, I would go with Goo-Gone. UQD might work too.

Comment

I tried UQD, it just smears it.. I tried a spot with W-d40 and that works but. I dont wanna get any on the paint. Would just a simple wash take it off.. I am not sure.. or else like m40 or trim detailer?

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
                              My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');