Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you repair a rock chip with a touch-up paint pen?

Registered Member

Re: How do you repair a rock chip with a touch-up paint pen?

Okay so I'm confused, what exactly is the tough up paint for if not for small chips?
    Well...its for touching up chips.

But using the touch up paint on a rock chip (for most folks on this forum who, if I'm reading correctly are very exacting (not to say obsessive )) is like asking a symphony conductor or audiophile to listen to an MP3 version of Beethoven's 9th.

Its going to sound close, but not perfect. (Frankly until you get over 256Kbs most MP3s sound like MP3s on my Sennheiser 580s..and nothing is as good as vinyl 'cept live).

Same with the touch up paint. It will be "good enough" for most folks...and will most likely keep the spot from standing out like a sore thumb or worse yet, rusting. But that's if you apply it slowly and a little bit at a time- the big blob mentioned previously WILL stand out. (I wonder if clay will pop it off?)

But for the pros, semi-pros and anal-retentives it won't be perfect.

I'm thankful for this thread though as there's a long scratch in the Desert Mica on my 2005 Corolla that I think I'll leave alone. The chip on the hood though I'm going to fix...but with the matchstick, not the touchup pen.

Pray for our country rusty bumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpc9886 View Post
    But using the touch up paint on a rock chip (for most folks on this forum who, if I'm reading correctly are very exacting (not to say obsessive )) is like asking a symphony conductor or audiophile to listen to an MP3 version of Beethoven's 9th.

Its going to sound close, but not perfect. (Frankly until you get over 256Kbs most MP3s sound like MP3s on my Sennheiser 580s..and nothing is as good as vinyl 'cept live).
    Them's fightn' words!

Registered Member

Okay, my other question is, when touching up the rock chipped bumper with touch up and a toothpick, do I just leave it or put some kind of clear coat on it? Where would I get the stuff to begin with?

Thank you

They will sell clear coat pens/bottles at a regular car care store.

You dont have to, but I think it sometimes helps the area blend in a bit better.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lingor View Post
    Hey Eddie,

Yes, you are right we do not know and that is the problem. No offense, but we do not even know what your level of experience is and if your advice is based on years of experience in actually doing it yourself or not. See what I mean? You may have years of experience, in which case, please post photos of the various cars/trucks/SUV's etc and show us some of your work! I love seeing photos of other people's work!!!

The internet is full of Keyboard Commandos who simply read posts elsewhere and then re-post it makiing people think/believe that they are the ones who actually have the experience when that is not the case. Moreover, watching a few videos or hanging around with an actual Pro is different than doing it yourself. Again, I am not referring to you, but rather people in general.

So, how do you deal with the fact that metallic flakes when touching up paint will lay differently than sprayed metallics? This difference is very visible and yet no one has mentioned that fact.

If a person sands down the touch-up paint that has metallic flake, it will stand out, usually brighter than the rest of the paint as the metallics will not be distributed the same as when being sprayed. It will create a visible dimpled effect that looks terrible if several spots are done on say a hood for example.

Secondly, in the examples I have seen lately, how do we know if a person has gone down below the maximum accepted loss .3 -.5 mils of clear coat that surrounds the touch-up spot? You have to level the paint to match the repaired spot or again, you have a dimpled effect. If you go below that accepted maximum, clear coat failure may occur in those areas fairly quickly.

Thirdly, while I have seen a lot of people saying that they can remove sanding marks with a PC, I have yet to see it done with 100% perfection. Under halogens you may not see it, but in the sun and a critical eye, you can spot the sanding marks that are often remaining. Now before I get jumped for that, new products like M105 with the SMAT abrasives are changing that fact, but I still have not seen it done on OEM paint to 100% perfection. Factors such as paint hardness etc all play a major factor in the success of wet sanding mark removal. Have you ever tried to remove sanding marks from an OEM painted Vette or newer MB, or BMW? It is NOT easy at all. It does not matter if someone has all of the drive in the world, if you do not have the tools, products and knowledge, those sanding marks are not coming out.

Finally, what about doing a touch up and sanding it in the center of a hood of a black car? Have you seen waves in paint caused by arbitrary sanding of paint in spots only?

While we all had to learn some how, it is haphazard to suggest to anyone to wet sand their paint as there are so many variables that must be considered. If the advice is taken by someone who has a Vette and they can not remove the sanding marks, and/or waves or flat spots are created, they will not be happy. Bad advice can also lead to legal liability issues even over international boundaries. Just something to keep in mind.

Tim
    i bought a two year old black kia sorento and jumped head first into wet sanding and detailing in general and im glad i did, i got rid of the wet sanding marks on my car but i only used 2000 grit gently, i did a good job on the big gouges in the back but i still have road rash, i know i have lots to learn but im glad i tried the wet sanding just for the experience regardless of results. i have no where to go but up as far as getting better at it

Registered Member

my clearcoat/basecoat pen comes with both but it says right on the pen that do not recommend using it for touch ups.

edit its from the factory

Registered Member

The example about the Black hood.Touch ups with a paint stick are a cheap solution.You either leave it alone,touch it up or have the whole hood resprayed.Unfortunately,top surfaces show any imperfections that might be disguised on a side surface,whether it be touch up or blending.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information