• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Results from 1st rock chip repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from 1st rock chip repair

So I was feeling ambitious and decided it was time to tackle some rock chips that were bothering me. Since this was my first attempt, I chose one that was in a less noticeable spot than the hood. This was a particularly nasty offender that was down to bare metal over the rear wheel well. I decided the nab the blemish just above the chip at the same time.

To prep for the paint layers, I cleaned the chip with some light sanding, rubbing alcohol swab, and some primer. I put 3 or 4 coats on, letting them sit a day between coats. When I was happy with the layers, I let the spots sit a few more days until I could finish them up. Here's a shot of the bigger chip before sanding:

And his baby brother:

I wet-sanded the spots with some 1500 grit, followed by some 2000 grit to make the paint level again. To minimize the extent of the sanding marks, I made some tiny sanding disks using a hole punch, and glued the sand paper to the tops of some erasers.

Post-sanding (and a moment when I wondered if I would regret my decision to start this in the first place)

To clean up the wet-sanding marks, I used several applications of UC. I did 3 by hand (just to see how well it would come out), followed by a 4th with the DA to remove and last trace of the sanding marks.

The result came out better than I had expected. Now I'll think about getting some of the chips on the hood.

Re: Results from 1st rock chip repair

Nice work, looks great!

Comment

To me it looks like a seamless repair!!
      Nice Job!!
      Sweet Reflections!!
      Keep Up the Great Work!!
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I'll keep you all posted when I get around to fixing some more blemishes.

Comment

That came really good.
          I've done the same process a few times myself.It's amazing how they can be hidden,known only by you.Others don't notice.

Comment

Nice job!
            Glad to see you tried it and it worked.

Comment

nice work.. i really gotta try wet sanding one day.. hope the results are like yours..
              Ganesa,
              Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

looks awesome! i am awaiting my courage to grow before i try it on my truck lol.

Comment

Thanks again for all the comments!

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
                  nice work.. i really gotta try wet sanding one day.. hope the results are like yours..
                  When you do, I would highly recommend gluing some sand paper to pencil erasers. It provided a nice backing and also kept the sanding area small.

Originally posted by fzr confused View Post
                  looks awesome! i am awaiting my courage to grow before i try it on my truck lol.
                  I know you can do it

Comment

When you "I cleaned the chip with some light sanding," what grit sandpaper did you use?

Comment

to be honest.. i cant even find the chips hahahah, that means youve done an amazing job!
                      - Markito -

Comment

Originally posted by newcar2009 View Post
                        When you "I cleaned the chip with some light sanding," what grit sandpaper did you use?
                        I used 1500 grit to clean. The chip was still pretty clean (i.e. no rust) so I just wanted to make sure it was good to go and didn't want to damage the surrounding paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Learnin View Post
                          to be honest.. i cant even find the chips hahahah, that means youve done an amazing job!
                          Thanks!

Comment

Did you brush the new paint on like the rock chip repair paint brush things, or did you spray it back on?

Comment

Great repair. You can't tell anything was done. Way to go.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');