• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

random orbital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random orbital?

Is a "random orbital" machine found in Autozone or Advance Auto Parts different than a DA?
    mujjuman

Re: random orbital?

Yes. The only thing orbitals are good for are spreading waxes. They have no correction capabilities whatsoever.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

That stinks for me, lol. I knew something was not right when I bought it a few years ago. i just wish i returned it way back then.

Thanks for explaining
      mujjuman

Comment

Also, is there a difference between "rotary buffer" and the DA? What is the difference? and porter cable?
        mujjuman

Comment

Originally posted by mujjuman View Post
          Also, is there a difference between "rotary buffer" and the DA? What is the difference? and porter cable?
          A rotary buffer is also referred to a high speed buffer. They are the most powerful, and also carry the most potential for harm (of the buffers). They use a forced, circular rotation to do their work and often run from 900 RPMS to over 3,000 RPMS.

A DA, or dual-action buffer is a safer option for three main reasons: 1.) It uses a safety clutch that will disengage the spinning if too much pressure is applied 2.) It works at much lower speeds making it virtually impossible to 'burn' with them 3.) They use an orbit type pattern rather than a perfect circular motion which helps to auto-correct some potential light scratching as the machine works, eliminating the risk for 'holograms' or buffer trails.

There is more information about the different types of machines out there HERE

That link will clarify this, but to directly answer you, a "PC" refers to a Porter Cable, typically the PC7424, which is a DA buffer.

Comment

Thanks so much for the information Mark! The link and your post was very helpful.
            mujjuman

Comment

Originally posted by mujjuman View Post
              Thanks so much for the information Mark! The link and your post was very helpful.
              You are most certainly welcome! Don't be bashful, we are here to help!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark Kleis;331267]A rotary buffer is also referred to a high speed buffer. They are the most powerful, and also carry the most potential for harm (of the buffers). They use a forced, circular rotation to do their work and often run from 900 RPMS to over 3,000 RPMS.

A DA, or dual-action buffer is a safer option for three main reasons: 1.) It uses a safety clutch that will disengage the spinning if too much pressure is applied 2.) It works at much lower speeds making it virtually impossible to 'burn' with them

Hi Mark,I've only used a rotary in the past.I've never owned a DA. What is the range of rpm on a DA?

Comment

To answer the original poster's question, the typical polishing machine found in an autoparts store pales in comparison to a G110 or PC7424XP. Don't get too caught up in terminology of random orbital, dual action, etc as they are typically misnomers anyway and used incorrectly far too often.

For defect removal you're looking at three basic categories...1) polishers like the G110 or PC7424XP, 2) a dual action machine like a Flex, Festool, or Metabo, and 3) a rotary buffer.

My recommendation would be get a G110 as it's basically equal to a PC72424XP but you've got hundreds of users here ready to help or offer advice for your specific tool.

One of these days I'll get around to posting a thread for all the newer detailers on the dfferences betwen the three and their seperate actions...just have to find the time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                    I've only used a rotary in the past.I've never owned a DA. What is the range of rpm on a DA?
                    The rpm range of a dual-action polisher (with two distinct movements) is typically between 300 and 500 rpm's of forced rotation with the secondary orbital action from 1000 to 9000 obm's.

For comparison a rotary has anywhere from 1000 to 3000 rpm's and a random orbital polisher has a range of 1000 to 6800 obm's.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone, I am learning alot of information because of this site and I really appreciate everyone going out of their way to help me understand these things.

Probably the most helpful forums I'm part of.
                      mujjuman

Comment

For many years I used a Sears orbital for polishing my car and RV. Last summer I purchased a G110 and was blown away!! at the difference in results. I also wore out 3 Sears machines in just a couple years and they are not able to be repaired.
                        Barry

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');