• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 White BMW 540i - Really Nice People!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 White BMW 540i - Really Nice People!

I really enjoyed meeting this couple and their daughter. They were so friendly, kind, trusting (they left me at their house while they were all at work, let me use their garage, full access to ice water, soft drinks, loo) and when they came home and saw their baby they were extremely appreciative! I ended up going way beyond what they wanted and paid for, but it was worth it. They could not thank me enough and immediately started planning who to tell. They were actually a referral from the black Jeep Commander Limited owner. Someone's signature here says..."Quality creates its own demand." Sorry, can't remember who, but right on!

This 2002 White BMW 540i was really scratched, but not too dirty. I barely got anything on my clay and later saw where he had some Meguiar's clay on the shelf. Pretty much all Meguiar's exept a barely used bottle of Zaino Show Car Polish! It was an exterior only express service (I turned into a 75% defect free exterior detail). I just could not fill these scratches with wax and call it a day. Now it shines like crazy! Total time: 9 hours, total buffing time 6 hours.

Procedures and products:

1) Checked paint thickness just because I have a new PTG. Everything averaged 110 microns / 4.3 mil except the hood just in front of the driver's windshield where it curves upward. It was only 95 microns / 3.9 mils. Not a big difference, but that paint seemed thin to me and may have been buffed before? There were, of course, bad scratches in the thinnest area as well. (When finished I had only removed an average of 10 microns / .4 mils. I hope that's a good, safe number, right?)

2)Wash with ONR - took 4 gallons - used water was on the dirty side.
    3)Clay - very little on the clay.
    4)Quick rinse with pressure washer on paint, trim, wheel wells, tires, wheels.
    5)Dry with air and MF.
    6)Wet wheels with leftover ONR water and soak with Dp Gel, spray wheel wells with Hyper Dressing.
    7)Wipe paint with 50/50 IPA to see exactly what I had taken on. It revealed deep swirls, more like scratches than swirls really. Further apart and deeper.
    8)Brushed wheels and rims behind spokes (ultimate brake dust machine?)
    9)Rinse wheels with pressure washer, wipe inside rims, dry wheels with compressed air.
    10)Pull inside.
    11)Tape trim, emblems, headlights, chrome and cover wipers/windshield with towel.
    12)Test spot - right rear quarter panel using Flex, M205, Soft Buff yellow polishing pad, not aggressive enough, CCS Orange M205, M105, eventually settled on purple foamed wool with M105
    13)Speed 5 for defect removal, 3-4 passes with light to medium pressure on a small area at a time (12x12), burnish on speed 3 with a few drops of M105 on PFW, 2 passes to bring up gloss using medium pressure. Polish headlights and taillights along the way.
    14)Remove tape, wipe entire vehicle with 50/50 IPA
    15)Apply M21 to paint, door pillars, headlights/taillights and wheels.
    16)Treat trim with Gold Class Trim Detailer
    17)Buff paint and wheels with MF (not the same one)
    18)Polish stainless exhaust tip (almost forgot)
    19)Accent spray on front and rear spoilers, wipe excess and any over spray.
    20)Clean and polish door jambs with QD, treat weatherstripping quickly with HD.
    21)Brush around emblems, gaps, etc, polish chrome.
    22)Clean exterior glass.
    23)Pull in sun to check shine!
    24)Owners come home from work, give praise...awww shucks)
    25)Take pictures.
    26)Edit and post pictures!
    27)Enjoy job-well-done experience...zzzzzzzzzzz

Took a few before photos, only one turned out right, I just couldn't wait to get going either. The entire vehicle was like this...

Afters! ~75% correction overall, 90% on hood, deck lid and sides above trim.

I love it when a plan comes together! About the only thing I didn't do myself to get this business started (besides getting very valuable advice and tips from Nick Chapman along the way ) was physically print the decals and shirts. Man, am I tired! Not bad for an old country boy from KY.

Another satisfied customer!

Re: 2002 White BMW 540i - Really Nice People!

awesome work! its always good to do a little more... customers appreciate that! ive always loved those years 5 series
    - Markito -

Comment

Looks great man! You made that white really pop! Sounds like the extra work was well worth it or a nice family that will probably send work your way! Great job!

Comment

Wow! You really made that thing glow! Fantastic job!

Quote: "I love it when a plan comes together."

Ever watched The A-Team?
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Good job,10deg!Nice looking car.

Comment

Always good when customers are happy, car looks good

Comment

Your work looks great!! I bet the lady was more than happy with the results, probably even looked better than the day she purchased it!
              Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Now that is what white is supposed to look like!
                -James
                2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I'm sure I've seen your work here too looking just as nice.

If not...start shining! It's good for what ails you.

Yes, CieraSL, I've watched the A Team. Used to be my brother's favorite show back in the day. I'm know I'm old, and you must be too to remember that show. Missa T...fool! (hee hee)

Regarding the BMW job, not only should I have gotten more before shots, but also weighed myself before and after. I was sweating from 7am until 6pm when I got in the truck to go home and blasted the a/c. I must have lost at least a few pounds. It was HOT yesterday!
                  Last edited by 10degreesbtdc; Jun 18, 2009, 05:18 AM. Reason: sumpin' else

Comment

Great work. The BMW looks fantastic. The paint really pops.

In th e long run I am sure you will get more referrals from these people.That will more then offset the extra work you put into the BMW.

Once again great work, way to go.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      Great work. The BMW looks fantastic. The paint really pops.

In th e long run I am sure you will get more referrals from these people.That will more then offset the extra work you put into the BMW.

Once again great work, way to go.
                      Thanks J.A.! As a matter of fact, the owner called me this morning to thank me again! She said her husband, whom she had this car done for as a Father's Day present, called her and said he just had to stop on his way to work and take some photos of it with the glow from the sunrise hitting it just right. She also told me, again numerous times that she has already told people and plans to tell a lot more. I went to bed last night with a smile on my face and woke up this morning with one. After her call there's no doubt I made the right decision to spend extra hours on that car. Now, "Their Car Shines".

My Car Shines Custom Detailing
                      Clearwater, Florida

(ok, a shameless plug)

Have to say, I couldn't and wouldn't have done it without this forum's members influence.
                      Last edited by 10degreesbtdc; Jun 18, 2009, 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Your 27 step process blows the old 5 stepper out of the water! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                          Your 27 step process blows the old 5 stepper out of the water! Congrats!
                          Thanks CC! I know that members here do the same thing every day. Probably in a much more efficient manner than I did!

Comment

Great work! May i ask, what does IPA mean?
                            "Every moment frontin and maxin
                            Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                            "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                              Great work! May i ask, what does IPA mean?
                              isopropyl alcohol. Some detailers wipe down a cars finish with IPA following a wash and sometimes after polishing to expose paint defects.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');