• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This guy needs MOL!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy needs MOL!!!

I happened to catch this video and I thought I'd share it with you. (Nobody had better get mad at me, I'm trying hard not to bash anybody here.) This guy is using Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (ooooh, rubbing, that sounds good! ) to remove some paint transfer off his black, yes black, car.

Watch how this guy applies this stuff and takes it off. At the end, you can see the paint transfer is gone, but the paint is really hazed (which is not too surprising considering he rubbed off the residue with a paper towel ).

I'd like to see his paint up close and see just how many swirls and scratches he created. Cheers!

accidentally scraped a pole, i was so impressed by turtle wax rubbing compound i just had to share it with everyone

My point is, it's important to know what you're doing and to use the right product(s), not whatever happens to be $2 or $3 at Wally World (which is seriously what this stuff costs). Pay the extra bit of money and do it right.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: This guy needs MOL!!!

YIKES!!!

He's using shop towels to rub it in and buff it off. I don't even use those things on my windows, let alone BLACK paint. It looked pretty hazed up after that.
    Alex C.

Comment

I think he needed to use a little more.............

Never underestimate the power of the paper towel!!!!!!!!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
        YIKES!!!

He's using shop towels to rub it in and buff it off. I don't even use those things on my windows, let alone BLACK paint. It looked pretty hazed up after that.
        I couldn't tell what the first towel or whatever was made of, but that second one sure looked like a paper towel. Could of been like those shop rags that come in a box or like a paper towel roll. Whatever the case, I sure as heck wouldn't have used it on my car!
        Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Yeah, they were those blue Scott shop towels that come in the box or roll. Anywho, how big was that pole?! Notice at the beginning he says how the fender was all scraped up as well.?
          Alex C.

Comment

Let's keep in mind our Forum Rules

Maybe someone can share with them the link to this forum where they can learn more about proper techniques?

Pay it ahead...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
              Anywho, how big was that pole?! Notice at the beginning he says how the fender was all scraped up as well.?
              Yeah, and it was also all hazed up as well.
              Shane

Comment

Sorry Mike, not trying to break any rules here, just pointing out that he could have gotten fantastic results had he bothered to use the right product and tools. I wanted this to be more of a warning to people who didn't know better than as a bashing of this product. My apologies if it came across as a bashing.
                Shane

Comment

YUCK!!
                  He needs to use another product, to get rid of the hazing, something less aggressive.
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                  "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                  '99 F-150

Comment

I saw this video a couple months ago

Maybe give him some props, it does look a LITTLE better..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      Maybe someone can share with them the link to this forum where they can learn more about proper techniques?
                      I wish that person were a MOL'er so they could be pointed in the right direction. Alas, I think they were just some misguided soul. Wish I could point them this way so they could see the light!
                      Shane

Comment

Originally posted by fe91 View Post
                        Maybe give him some props, it does look a LITTLE better..
                        Well, I'll give him props for wanting to fix the problem. I think I just feel sorry for him for not knowing better.
                        Shane

Comment

I've done things wrong in the past and I'm pretty confident I'll do things wrong in the future and who knows, maybe this person was doing what they think is right?

Sometimes you don't know better until someone shows you differently. We have hundreds of people go through our Saturday Detailing Classes and sometimes after attending the class people find out they've been doing something wrong all their lives.

Just as important, if the person in that video finds the "Meguiar's" online discussion forum we be here as a resources to help them, help themselves. I'm not sure they would get the right idea if they found this forum and then found this thread.

Sometime when wearing the Admin Hat you have to take a bigger picture pint of view.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You're right as usual Mike. Hats off to you!

I'm not saying he was wrong, I just think he wasn't doing the job the best way. I know before I joined MOL I did stuff and now it's like what was I thinking?
                            Shane

Comment

Hi ciera,I think a lot of these people think they are heroic for some reason.There is an awfull lot of nonsense on youtube. Those paper towels are the kind you find it toilets,to dry your hands.(colored kitchen paper).

There is no way that paintwork was gouged or scratched at the begining of the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');