• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different foam applicator pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different foam applicator pads

Hey everybody,

I have a question re: different brands of foam applicator pads. Being from Canada (Southwest Ontario), certain Meg's products are not sold up here - - specifically, Meguiar's soft foam applicator pads (or at least I can't find them in my travels to about a half dozen different stores that carry Meg's items).

As an alternative to ordering from Autogeek (which can bend us over on brokerage fees & shipping from Florida --> Ontario) or eshine.ca, there are other brands out there that are sold at Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc. ...brands like Simoniz and one by Sundance. There are also other types of pad 'surfaces,' such as microfiber and terry cloth. This thread is specifically about soft foam applicator pads and not terry cloth, microfiber, etc.

Their price-point is similar to that which the Meg's foam applicator pads are sold (Simoniz: $7 for 4; Sundance: $5 for 3)

Links below
    Simoniz: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...C%2B4-pack.jsp
    Sundance: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...pplicators.jsp

All things being equal (working on a clean surface, using the right product & technique, etc.), would one expect the same "results" from products if applied by applicator pads other than Meg's (i.e. won't scratch the clear coat, will remove defects such as scratches/swirls/etc.)?

Also...other Canadians (or other users in the know), if you don't use Meg's soft foam applicator pads, what alternatives do you use that can be picked up at stores here?

Don't get me wrong...I'm (virtually) a 100% Meguiar's user but I just want to see if there're other similar products out there that're more easily accessible to us Canadians

Re: Different foam applicator pads

I've seen those in Canadian Tire, but haven't tried either. I have been fortunate enough to find several sources of the Meguiar's pads in various shops in Ottawa.
    You can try the pads, but make sure you do it in a test spot to see if they leave any hazing. Some of the ones I saw seemed to have a hard seam where the two pads met, almost like the foam was melted together for too long. Seemed to be a little to aggressive looking for my liking.

Go to Meguiar's Canada and look up the dealer listings to see if there are any in your area. I know you'll never find them in Walmart of Canadian Tire (unless you get the Gold Class or NXT kit), but several of the paint shops seem to have a decent selection available, that is where I got mine.

If you can wait, I know a Canadian seller that is willing to ship them to you (not sure what the costs would be though, but can't be that much).

Jamie

Comment

Well, the pads are listed at meguiarscanada.com and so someone should have them available, perhaps Mequiars Canada can help locate a stocking dealer near you?

As for the other brands of applicators, no idea... I tend to steer clear of the cheap products handled by the mass merchants that are not also carried by the serious suppliers. In the case of applicators though, I've always used 100% cotton terry towels cut up into smaller bits for that chore. Not sure what your problem might be with eshine.com as they are located on our side of the border, so there's no issue with brokerage charges and such. Autogeek ships via USPS to Canada so again, there is no brokerage, only the $5 fee charged to offset the costs incurred by Canada Post in collecting/handling the actual taxes/duties due as imposed by Customs Canada.

Regards

Christian

Comment

Thx for the info guys

JamieR: I'll try the paint shops here in town and see what's up. Thx for the offer about knowing a Cdn seller...if anything I'll likely try in town or order from eshine.ca. I briefly emailed back and forth with Chris there about products and what not.

kaptain_zero: I'll contact megs canada and see if they can locate somebody here in town that stocks the pads. I don't have any issues with eshine per se. I was just testing the waters to see if anybody who has used other applicator pads wanted to chime in and give their 0.02. If I can't loate anywhere here in London I'll likely order a bunch from eshine. Oh, as for brokerage fees, I got about $23x.xx shipped from autogeek back in April and it was about a $92 brokerage fee (likely b/c both boxes weighed 70 lbs total lol 7 bottles of Meg's detailer line products). The amt of $ I had to fork over was shocking to say the least :-\

And to both of you --> thanks for the advice on tending to avoid other, cheaper products generally sold by the larger chain stores.

Comment

Hmm... I was sure I read that Autogeek shipped via the post office rather than UPS which does charge a rather hefty brokerage charge. I suppose it was the Detailer line chemicals that prompted that move as the Post Office considers a lot of these things as hazardous. I got a bunch of samples from ADS myself but as I live about a one hour drive from the border, I just had ADS ship it to a parcel handling service just across the border so I just drove down and picked it up and brought it across myself on a Saturday morning.

Let us know what you get for a response from Megs Canada, eh?

Regards

Kaptain "One way or the other" Zero

Comment

I'm surprised you can't get the meg's applicators in Canada.You mentioned Simoniz.They make not bad stuff.They are pretty popular over here.So if you can't get the Meg's,try them.Do a small spot first to see if they work well.
            Last edited by Eddie6th; Jun 6, 2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

No problem. Can't blame you about going local, nothing drives me nuts faster than waiting for something to show up in the mail...

Good luck!

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by JamieR View Post
                No problem. Can't blame you about going local, nothing drives me nuts faster than waiting for something to show up in the mail...

Good luck!

Jamie
                Most people do a lot of mail order today.I'm just the type of person that prefers to walk into a store,grab it off the shelf and pay.Years ago,(before I started using Meg's),I used simoniz for a while,and found that most of their products were fine.At that time there were no foam applicators like today,so I can't tell you how good they are?

Comment

Ah! The dreaded brokerage charge! I feel really bad for the Canadians! That is SO unfair!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');