• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearing Windshield Wiper Marring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing Windshield Wiper Marring

This seems to happen if you use your windshield wipers with a lot of dust or dirt on them, or from worn out rubber lining in the wipers, but they'll create a marring that marks the path the wipers took on your windshield.

Very visible and ugly in daylight.

Can the M105 combo or another product with a DA be used to get rid of this? Or does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Clearing Windshield Wiper Marring

Here is what happened to me the other day...

Clayed my windows, so of course there was some QD smearing. On the windshield, it really highlighted the wiper path, and wouldn't wipe off.

Then I tried the Nxt Glass Cleaner, and could still kind of see the path.

Wasn't sure what to do, but figured I'd put my RainX on and see, since I have had RainX help remove water spots before. Sure enough, the highlighted path just disappeared. Windows are all perfect again, at least till it rained today.

Is the path still there, will it come back, I dunno. But I cant see it at all, so it works for me.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have used ScratchX 2.0 on windows lately.

seems to help get rid of water spots too.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
        Can the M105 combo or another product with a DA be used to get rid of this? Or does anyone have any recommendations?
        I have used M105/PC to remove heavy oxidation, some marring, and chemical staining as seen here:

I have also had success with Ultimate Compound by hand to remove heavy water etching and light marring as seen here...

Before (after wash/claying glass)...

After...

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
          I have used M105/PC to remove heavy oxidation, some marring, and chemical staining as seen here:

I have also had success with Ultimate Compound by hand to remove heavy water etching and light marring as seen here...
          Thanks for the reply, it was actually your topic that inspired mine.

I guess my question is more concerning a possible difference in the glass for the windshield as opposed to other glass on the vehicle.

Particularly visibility and safety.

After using UC/M105 how clear is the windshield in the morning/evening when the sunlight shines right through your windshield? Any traces left behind? Naturally you may not notice these as much as you would on the rear window.

I also have many small rock chips in my windshield, it's "sandblasted" as we call it here in AZ. Not dents or all the way through the class just small rock chips that show up when the sun hits them at the right angle.

Curious if they're a risk for applying M105/UC with a DA, or if they won't have a negative infect and will just "improve" and make things better.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, it was actually your topic that inspired mine.
            Cool...

I guess my question is more concerning a possible difference in the glass for the windshield as opposed to other glass on the vehicle.

Particularly visibility and safety.
            There is a difference in the physical makeup of windshield glass over side glass. Current automotive windshield glass is typically two pieces of glass with a laminate layer in between. You need to be careful if working by machine to avoid heat buildup. Side glass does not contain this "sandwiched" laminate material and is substantially thinner.

After using UC/M105 how clear is the windshield in the morning/evening when the sunlight shines right through your windshield? Any traces left behind? Naturally you may not notice these as much as you would on the rear window.
            I made very sure to remove all trace residues of oils and polish from the surface. Glass is porous so the oils are forced into these pores and micro-abrasions and comes out over time unless properly removed. After polishing I did an IPA wipedown. Followed up with a Dawn wash and then a final cleaning/wipedown with NXT Glass Cleaner.

I also have many small rock chips in my windshield, it's "sandblasted" as we call it here in AZ. Not dents or all the way through the class just small rock chips that show up when the sun hits them at the right angle.

Curious if they're a risk for applying M105/UC with a DA, or if they won't have a negative infect and will just "improve" and make things better.
            The chipping will improve very slightly. You either need a professional glass chip repair kit or a new windshield. Polishing it will improve scratches, micromarring, water deposits, and hazing but won'y remove deep scratches or chips. I'd give it a shot because with the proper technique you'll only improve the appearance and functionality (even if only a little).

Comment

Good that's what I like to hear!

Only one rock chip was bad enough to need to be repaired professionally, as it was cracking. The millions of others are just little chips off the surface, enough to catch the light and show up (so they're invisible at night)

I figure my windshield will probably need replacing, but this may help and even fix everything.

I'll just watch our for the heating then. Thanks

On a side note, my side windows are pretty strong. Someone tried kicking them in before with no luck (good thing for me). Figured maybe they were two layered?

Edit: Quick question, I've bought some UC, should I just use that with a DA, or invest in some M105? If you use M105, did you follow with M205?

Comment

Edit: Quick question, I've bought some UC, should I just use that with a DA, or invest in some M105? If you use M105, did you follow with M205?
                Nope...the results of that thread on the rear windshield were after one pass of M105/CCS Orange via PC7424. No follow-up. The pics above were one application of Ultimate Compound via foam applicator also with no follow-up.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');