• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do after removing masking tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do after removing masking tape?

Hello All,

Sorry if this has already been covered, I could not find the answer to my question (probably did not search correctly).

But I was wondering what you do after removing the masking tape? If you were to tape off all the little gaps like those between the hood and fenders, doors, etc. Then do all of your cutting/swirl removing and eventually polish with a DA machine.

After removing the tape, wouldn't there still be swirls on the areas that were covered by tape?

If so, would it still be noticeable even after cleaning it up by hand? or would it be wise just to only cover the plastics, vinyl, weather stripping, etc- and just clean out the polish/wax from the cracks after?

Thanks
    Round House Kick...

Re: What to do after removing masking tape?

I tend to just cover my trim.

Product getting into the gaps doesnt seem to be a big problem, at least no more than by hand.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      I tend to just cover my trim.

Product getting into the gaps doesnt seem to be a big problem, at least no more than by hand.
      Great- Thanks!

I am a little on the edge about it, as I've never really fully detailed a car before besides clay and wax (not even polish). So little things such as the question about the taping really had me wondering.
      Round House Kick...

Comment

Well, others have done a lot more cars than me, but I just seem to dust along the trunk/hood edge, open the doors and wipe, and a towel down any seams. Same as I would do by hand.

I am sure there are some cars that prove more difficult, or products that make it harder. Maybe a rotary, I dunno.

Comment

Throw it out. lol Just kidding. I agree with Murr. I just tape off the trim. I use those fowm detailing sticks to remove the product from the seams and gaps.

Not trying to antaganize anyone. That was the first thing that popped into my head. Once again, Just kidding.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Yes, detailing sticks is where it's at. I used to use q-tips but these are sooooo much better.

Alex C.

Comment

If your taping off between two panels and want to make sure to remove swirls on the whole surface, including the very edge. You would need to tape off on one panel and polish the other panel to the edge. After finishing the first panel, remove the tape from the second panel and tape off on the first/finished panel to protect it now. It's a slow process to be sure, and most would not do it this way. It is a way to protect the panel edges and insure your polishing to the edges of each panel.

This would be too much work for me. I only tape off trim work on a car and tape between two panels that are not "level" to each other to avoid burning the edges(Rotary work).

Polishing "over" gaps is messy and dangerous, don't do it!

Originally posted by Mudman View Post
              Hello All,

But I was wondering what you do after removing the masking tape? If you were to tape off all the little gaps like those between the hood and fenders, doors, etc. Then do all of your cutting/swirl removing and eventually polish with a DA machine.

After removing the tape, wouldn't there still be swirls on the areas that were covered by tape?

If so, would it still be noticeable even after cleaning it up by hand? or would it be wise just to only cover the plastics, vinyl, weather stripping, etc- and just clean out the polish/wax from the cracks after?

Thanks

Comment

what are these detailing sticks you speak of?

I should be working on my buddie's car next week. My car is white and it's really hard to see the progress.
                Round House Kick...

Comment

Basically a q-tip on a long wooden stick.

Comment

Basically a q-tip on a long wooden stick.
                    ah okay. Thanks

So has this subject been covered before? as far as the left over areas that were covered by tape? I am wondering why my "search" methods are so inefficient.
                    Round House Kick...

Comment

There is a link or two on How to Tape a Car, with some pics, etc.

Not sure if they talk a lot about the gaps, etc in it.

Comment

There is a link or two on How to Tape a Car, with some pics, etc.

Not sure if they talk a lot about the gaps, etc in it.
                        correct, I have read those and seen no mention of the covered areas. Maybe I'm making it to be a bigger deal than it really is.
                        Round House Kick...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');