• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grit Guard Fit???? Does anyone else have this problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grit Guard Fit???? Does anyone else have this problem??

So I finally bought two Grit Guard from Rick at ADS and then I went to Wally World and bought two five gallon buckets. The Grit Guards took a couple of days to get here and I used the buckets twice before they arrived. Well when the Grit Guards arrived they didn't fit all the way down in the buckets. My questions are :

1. Does anyone else have this problem?
    2. Will they still do their job if they are about 4 inches from the bottom?

I know the design of the Grit Guards are to prevent the vortex of the water from bringing the grit upwards. I am thinking they should be fine, just curious to see what the group thinks.
    RG Curtis
    U.S. Navy Silent Service

Re: Grit Guard Fit???? Does anyone else have this problem??

You should be OK. If you're really concerned, $6 will get you a pair of buckets from Home Depot that will fit with the GG's.

Comment

yes that's fine
      it's just there to keep your mit from getting to the bottom of the bucket

Comment

Thanks fellas. That's what I thought. Just didn't want to take steps backwards. BTW I love them.
        RG Curtis
        U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

It happens, and some of the 5 gallon (and other gallon sizes) will be a little more narrow than others toward the bottom. My grit guard doesn't go down all the way down on my 4 gallon bucket and sits about an inch (or less) above the bottom, it's not a big deal...

Comment

I actually want mine 10" from the top
            So I can rub my mit on it easier

Comment

Yeah you are fine I actually took mine to Home Depot when I bought my buckets to make sure I liked the way they sat in the bottom. I really like the grit guard buckets and the dollys for them but I they arent cheap

Comment

One of my buckets lets the guard fit 1/2 way down itself. As a result, that one is my rinse bucket. I could easily take off one "layer" so to speak but I prefer it this way. It also helps air dry my wash medium better
                Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                  ...the dollys for them but I they arent cheap
                  You can make your own....
                  Homemade Wash Dolly

Comment

Originally posted by rgcurtis View Post
                    I know the design of the Grit Guards are to prevent the vortex of the water from bringing the grit upwards. I am thinking they should be fine, just curious to see what the group thinks.
                    Prior to purchasing the Gilmour Foam Gun I used the 2-bucket method with Grit Guards in each. When I transitioned over to the Foam Gun/1-bucket Method I had an extra Grit Guard.

Put both in the same bucket and like it better. Allows my wash mitt to come into contact with the Grit Guard without having to delve so deep into it and gives me added protection from contamination by increasing the distance from the dirt at the bottom. You'll be fine...

Comment

Its wierd.. mine tend to float when the water is warm.... give it 5 min, and then they sink like the shoud. Who knows?
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I bought one of my buckets from Advance Auto. The guard fits perfectly in it.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                          I bought one of my buckets from Advance Auto. The guard fits perfectly in it.
                          That is funny you say that, I also purchased the buckets from Advanced, and mine only go down about half way. I would like mine at the bottom so it would keep the water from swirling too much, and keep the containments more at the bottom, and not all around when dunking your wash media in the bucket, thats just me though..
                          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Thanks guys. Like I said I was curious to see what the group had to say. Again great sound advice from MOL!
                            RG Curtis
                            U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

I think the 3 gal buckets I have will have the same issue, that your having. But might go ahead and buy the ones from home depot

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');