• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffing single stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing single stage

Ok here's the skinny:

I'm working on an small Nissan truck that had a new Imron single stage paint job about 1.5 years ago. I believe its a polyurethane enamel.

The problem is this:

After the truck was freshly sprayed and was still wet, it was pulled outside at dusk. Overnight, the humidity and dew settled onto the roof and flat areas of the paint, which was not completely dried yet. This resulted in the loss of the majority of the gloss. The paint looks more satin/flat.

My question is if I buff this with a DA polisher and compound can I cut the top layer of paint and restore the gloss that it should have? I wonder how aggressive of a compound I would need? Aren't single stage paints supposed to be softer than bc/cc?

I'm still out of town so thats why Im posting and not outside getting my hands dirty. I'm curious to try this, but do you think it will work?

Here's the truck... Not the sunniest day but pics serve their purpose.
    Pay attention to the lack of gloss on the roof, and the lack of true gloss near the upper portions of the bedsides where moisture settled.

Front of the truck looks good because it was painted at a seperate time and was not introduced to any moisture or high humidity when wet--

IDEAS?

By the way, truck is FOR SALE. PM me if interested.

Thanks!

Re: Buffing single stage

Imrom is a great paint. not sure if it meets EPA regs anymore but no matter.

Might be a little tough with just a D/A but give it a try with some 105 and red cut pad.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');