• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound vs. Wet Sanding Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound vs. Wet Sanding Marks

My brother in law has had his 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Turbo in my garage all winter while he slowly rebuilt his motor and worked on a few other things. He even started wet sanding his car in preparation to paint the entire car black. Well now that the weather is nice again and his engine is built and ready to be put back in the car he has changed his mind and now he wants to drive the car and put off painting it until next winter. So now half of his car is wet sanded and he wants to try and polish it out so that he does not have to paint it right now. He told me he tried some wax on it and he thinks that he may have sanded through the clear. Knowing that rubbing some wax on wet sanded paint will not bring it back, I told him I have some other products that I will try on it.

So last night I started working on the trunk.

Here is the left side of his wet sanded trunk. I have the halogen light shining directly on it and you can not see any reflection. (As would be expected) It was hard to capture a good picture, but you can see the dull finish and some of the sanding marks.

I taped it off in order to do a test spot to see how good I could bring the paint back.

This is after polishing the bottom portion with the G100 and several slow passes of Ultimate Compound on a W8006 polishing pad. I used as much pressure as I could apply while still making sure to keep the pad spinning. You can finally see the halogen light reflection. I split the halogen light with half in the wet sanded area and half in the polished area.

Here is the Halogen light fully in the polished area.

This is a different angle of the same polished area for comparison. You can see the metallic flake again.

Here is the whole section polished.

And here is a reflection of the old light hanging on the ceiling of my garage.

I was really impressed with what I was able to do with the G100 and multiple passes of Ultimate compound. I probably spent an hour or more on the entire trunk, but I think it turned out really good. Unfortunately I do not have any good pics showing the entire completed trunk.

And just a disclaimer. The G100 and Ultimate Compound did not remove 100% of the sanding scratches. If I shine the light on it and look at the paint at a certain angle, I can still find a few random deeper scratches left from the wet sanding process, but it is definitely more than 90% scratch free. It is more than acceptable for what he wanted.

Now I have to do the rest of the car.
    Brian

Re: Ultimate Compound vs. Wet Sanding Marks

That's incredible that you did that with a G100, I would have never thought that... I've not had the opportunity to use the Ultimate Compound yet, and I know it's a tad less agressive than 105, but how easy is it to remove and does it dust much?

Very nice work on the sanding marks and I bet BIL was impressed!

Comment

I would never have thought you could bring the finish back to this level, with the G100. I guess you never know until you try. Great work on the trunk. Way to go.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
        I've not had the opportunity to use the Ultimate Compound yet, and I know it's a tad less agressive than 105, but how easy is it to remove and does it dust much?
        Ultimate Compound is a breeze to remove. It is easier to remove than 80. It does dust some though, at least in my experience on the 2 vehicles that I have used it on.
        Brian

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');