• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Chip and Scratch repair!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Chip and Scratch repair!

Hi there guys, hopefully i dont get flammed to bad in this thread! I have been hand waxing and washing cars for a lonnggg time now and few months ago bought a da buffer and loved it! Now I want to tackle chips/bad scratch repair and blending.

I got an excellent camera, to bad the batterys are dead so this afternoon/evening I will have new updated pictures for this thread!

My plan is to tackle this by hand, than do the whole car afterwards by clay and da buffer. Than invest in a air rotary polisher.

So, my list of things I have are..

-NXT 2.0 Wax
    -LOTS of Terry Clothes and Application Pads
    -Tape
    -2000 Grit Sandpaper
    -M Glaze 2 Fine-Cut Cleaner
    -DA
    -Claybar Kit
    -Touchup Paint

I have been reading LOTS on how to do this and looking at pictures. Locally there isn't any good places to get products to use really So i hope the Fine-Cut Cleaner (which can be done by hand) will be good enough to go over after filling in scratchs/chips and sanding than my regular stuff ontop of that.

Advice, maybe return the Fine Cut for a heavier or lighter cut solution? Tonight I will post pictures of the car and scratches and chips to give you guys a better idea.

Thanks!
    Casey

Re: My First Chip and Scratch repair!

Originally posted by meehan View Post

Advice, maybe return the Fine Cut for a heavier or lighter cut solution?
    Return the M02 Fine Cut Cleaner and get either M105 Ultra Cut Compound or Ultimate Compound, both will work to remove sanding marks by hand.

Most important thing about doing this kind of work is to clean the chipped area as best as you can any way you can, (cotton swabs with rubbing alcohol?), and then apply your touch-up paint.

Now... let it dry for at least a week, if you can park your car in the sun. You want the paint to completely dry before you start sanding and rubbing on it. If you rub to soon you can actually pull the blob of touch-up paint right out of the chip.

Also, experiment with one or two chips before tackling all the chips.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: My First Chip and Scratch repair!

Would it be a good idea to do the whole car is 105 first? From what I read 105 shoud fix a lot of light to medium kinda scratches.

Than locate the chips and scratches, clean, mask off, fill. Wait a day or two, 2000 wetsand, take off the tape and do 105 than finish off with a good wax?

Also, what's a good technique if the chip is about the size of a quater? Shld a larger blend be used, such as wetsanding the area, and using a clearcoat amongst the panel and buff to a shine? (Like how shops repair dents)

Thanks!

Casey

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');