• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Can I Use to Clean/Protect Matte Black Wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Can I Use to Clean/Protect Matte Black Wheels?

Recently put some matte black wheels on my car. I have All Wheel Cleaner but I'm scared to use it on these wheels. I've only been using a wash mitt with NXT soap to clean them. What else is can I use? Also, what should I use to protect them?
    Thanks

Re: What Can I Use to Clean/Protect Matte Black Wheels?

Originally posted by 05Goat View Post
    Recently put some matte black wheels on my car. I have All Wheel Cleaner but I'm scared to use it on these wheels. I've only been using a wash mitt with NXT soap to clean them. What else is can I use? Also, what should I use to protect them?
    Thanks
    After you have them clean, wax them.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
      After you have them clean, wax them.
      Well yea........

Maybe I should rephrase my question to which wax will look the best on matte black?

Comment

Cleaning them with car wash soap and water with your wash mitt is good, if your looking for a gentle wheel cleaner then try one of these products:

or if you can find it:

As for protection, NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 is a good choice.

Are the wheels clearcoated?
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I would not wax your wheels since they are matte black, im not positive for wheels but I know for paint it will make them glossy and not the matte color anymore. So I would probably advise againsnt waxing them, a gentle wheel cleaner should be okay or the soap and water is fine if it is getting everything.

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
            I would not wax your wheels since they are matte black, im not positive for wheels but I know for paint it will make them glossy and not the matte color anymore. So I would probably advise againsnt waxing them, a gentle wheel cleaner should be okay or the soap and water is fine if it is getting everything.
            I was actually just thinking that could be the case.
            Wasnt sure though if they were just black or actually matte.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I would just wash clean them with car soap
              You might mess them up if you use stronger products
              Most rim cleaners have some sort of acid in them

Can you post some pics so we can see exactly what your working with?

Comment

Thanks for the input so far.

Here are the rims

Comment

This is not a suggestion: I just wanted to ask if you walked about 300 feet downwind from your car and sprayed a small sponge with a "dry" silicone spray (flinch) and carefully applied it to the wheel, rubbed it in, waited a few minutes and wiped it down with a dry microfiberf........?

Can I still post here?
                  Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                  by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Those wheels look more semi-gloss than matte to me. If that's the case wouldn't M21 or NXT work as long as you don't use any pressure at all, just wipe it on and wipe it off? Any pressure will cause some spots to be shinier than others especially on a matter finish.

Comment

Originally posted by 10degreesbtdc View Post
                      Those wheels look more semi-gloss than matte to me. If that's the case wouldn't M21 or NXT work as long as you don't use any pressure at all, just wipe it on and wipe it off? Any pressure will cause some spots to be shinier than others especially on a matter finish.
                      They look like that on their website, but here's a shot of what they actually look like on the car.

Comment

Yeah I think I would just play it safe and keep using soap and water, I think the wax might make them glossy.

Comment

How about Optimum No-Rinse? Has polymers for protection and if you just dry it gently it shouldn't "polish" them. If you don't like the look, just wash it off with some car wash. You have to dry them using a microfiber anyway, right? Or do you use air?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');