• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help:Windshield problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help:Windshield problem...

Several weesk ago, I got nasty waterspot on my windshield. It creates white fog layer on the outer side that really annoys me when driving at night. So I goes to a local detailer that claims his "stuff" (he called it premiun waterspot remover) can effectively remove the waterspot, safe and non-abrasive. He use yellowish powder and water sprayer, and begin to rub the windshield using hand. After 2 hours, result is amazing. All waterspot are gone.

Later at nite it was raining. I notice when the wiper wipe the windshield, it leaves white fog for 2-5 seconds before dissapear. I thought he miss some waterspot. So I got back to the detailer next day. He redo everything. Later at night, It was raining again. no white fog. But the water seems not beading anymore. A week later, it was raining. I notice the white fog comes back and even worse. It's like waterspot, but not visible when it dry.

So I do research on the net and realize this premium stuff is actually cerium oxide. Now that i have this white fog that driving me nuts and my windshield does not beads water anymore. I suspect the cerium oxide remove the original protective layer (?). Not to mention he also left me some micro scrathes that visible at certain angle of sunlight.

My questions are:
    -How to remove the micro scrathes? Should I use the cerium oxide again for the third time? What about glass compound?
    -How to remove the white fog?
    -What to do so my windshield beads water? I know about rainx but it doesnot last long.

fyi. my car is 4 month old.

Sorry for the long post. But this really annoys me. Should have sue this st*p*d m*r*n.

Re: Help:Windshield problem...

Try claying the windshield, use some Ultimate Compound, and then use Ultimate Quik Wax on it and see if that helps at all. It's very hard to remove scratches out of glass unless you can get get a glass polishing system, so I would try Ultimate Compound instead. A couple of other options might be white vinegar and water mixed 1:1, or chrome polish. Read through this thread and see if this helps:

By the way, to MOL!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Chrome polish works great on glass. After you fix it, try something like: http://www.autogeek.net/rain-repellent.html
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Just curious, what did he remove from my windshield. Now water just sheeting off, not beading at all. As I recall this did not happen when the car is brand new. I suspect it causing the windshield prone to the white fog waterspot. The other windows glass bead water. Not as bead as rainx though.

Is it supposed to be some protective layer from the factory?

Comment

Are you sure this isnt just condensation or fog on the windshield? When it rains if you have the AC on it will fog up...

Comment

Originally posted by ca_999 View Post
            Is it supposed to be some protective layer from the factory?
            That is an interesting question. I have not read anywhere of a protective windshield layer on new cars, but I'd like to know.

In any case, it really doesn't sound like the detailer did anything wrong. Even if the factory applied some sort of sealant to the windshield, it would not have lasted indefinitely, and it would have been removed by any kind of serious glass polishing. If you want the water to sheet off the windshield, you need to apply RainX, Aquapel, or some equivalent product. I know that some folks here on MOL are also having good luck using the new Ultimate Quik Wax on their windshields, though it is not officially recommended by Meguiar's.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

It sounds like to me, it's just condensation/fog on the inside of the windshield. If you are recirculating the air your car, or running AC This happens. And yes it comes off/away when the wipers are on. When sitting in the rain the car can fog up as well.

You just need a Coat of RainX or UQD/UQW for beading.

Good luck with Microscratches. It's nearly impossible to remove them.
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Red View Post
                Are you sure this isnt just condensation or fog on the windshield? When it rains if you have the AC on it will fog up...
                Nope, not condesation. If it does condesation or fog, the wiper would have wipe it clean. I'm very positive it is waterspot. I'm able to remove it using the "premium stuff". But as soon as it exposed to rain, and I leave it dry, the waterspot will comeback. And very dificult to remove. Very contrast with side and trunk window glass, they bead water and new waterspot were easily removed.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  That is an interesting question. I have not read anywhere of a protective windshield layer on new cars, but I'd like to know.

In any case, it really doesn't sound like the detailer did anything wrong. Even if the factory applied some sort of sealant to the windshield, it would not have lasted indefinitely, and it would have been removed by any kind of serious glass polishing. If you want the water to sheet off the windshield, you need to apply RainX, Aquapel, or some equivalent product. I know that some folks here on MOL are also having good luck using the new Ultimate Quik Wax on their windshields, though it is not officially recommended by Meguiar's.
                  I'm pretty sure there was something on the windshield before. Now the water sheet off, as like when your car paint does not have wax. But when you apply wax, then the water beads.

The deailer has a website forum. One of his customer also asking why after he use the stuff, his windshield easily get waterspot. Same problem.

I'm going to buy aquapel. After I remove the waterspot, I will use it on my windshield and see if it help.

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                    It sounds like to me, it's just condensation/fog on the inside of the windshield. If you are recirculating the air your car, or running AC This happens. And yes it comes off/away when the wipers are on. When sitting in the rain the car can fog up as well.

You just need a Coat of RainX or UQD/UQW for beading.

Good luck with Microscratches. It's nearly impossible to remove them.
                    It is not condesation. The white fog is outside the windshield. And it appear and look like water spot the moment after I wipe the windshield.

*sigh* the car is relatively new. If the micro scrathes can not be removed, i think i just try to live with them.

Comment

It is not condesation. The white fog is outside the windshield. And it appear and look like water spot the moment after I wipe the windshield.

*sigh* the car is relatively new. If the micro scrathes can not be removed, i think i just try to live with them.
                      Any pics?

My guess on the windshield water beading is that it was detailed before it was purchase by you or someone from the dealer applied some wax or RainX to the windshield.

Comment

Not to worry! After a few thousand miles of driving, those micro-scratches will be the least of your windshield worries. Just wait until the real scratches and pits start appearing ...
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
                          Any pics?

My guess on the windshield water beading is that it was detailed before it was purchase by you or someone from the dealer applied some wax or RainX to the windshield.
                          Yeah, hope so. But for a stuff that lasted for 4 months, must be a good one.

I will try to upload pic next time I wash the car.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                            Not to worry! After a few thousand miles of driving, those micro-scratches will be the least of your windshield worries. Just wait until the real scratches and pits start appearing ...
                            Eeeww.. please dont said that. I love my car. She is my number two girl.

My first car lasted for 3 years before I sell it never got problem with waterspot and microscratches that visible from the inside.

Anybody know why these microscratches sometimes visible at right angle of sunlight? Is it because they have sharp micro edge? So maybe if I try to blunt the edge using compound, at least they wont visible from the inside. I'm very enthusiast removing the scratches, but I fear make things even worse.

Comment

Several weesk ago, I got nasty waterspot on my windshield. It creates white fog layer on the outer side that really annoys me when driving at night. So I goes to a local detailer that claims his "stuff" (he called it premiun waterspot remover) can effectively remove the waterspot, safe and non-abrasive. He use yellowish powder and water sprayer, and begin to rub the windshield using hand. After 2 hours, result is amazing. All waterspot are gone.

Later at nite it was raining. I notice when the wiper wipe the windshield, it leaves white fog for 2-5 seconds before dissapear. I thought he miss some waterspot. So I got back to the detailer next day. He redo everything. Later at night, It was raining again. no white fog. But the water seems not beading anymore. A week later, it was raining. I notice the white fog comes back and even worse. It's like waterspot, but not visible when it dry.

So I do research on the net and realize this premium stuff is actually cerium oxide. Now that i have this white fog that driving me nuts and my windshield does not beads water anymore. I suspect the cerium oxide remove the original protective layer (?). Not to mention he also left me some micro scrathes that visible at certain angle of sunlight.

My questions are:
                              -How to remove the micro scrathes? Should I use the cerium oxide again for the third time? What about glass compound?
                              -How to remove the white fog?
                              -What to do so my windshield beads water? I know about rainx but it doesnot last long.

fyi. my car is 4 month old.

Sorry for the long post. But this really annoys me. Should have sue this st*p*d m*r*n.
                              That is nonsense to use use cerium oxide for a car which is only 4 months old!If you need to get those scratches out,i would take it to a proffesional.If you buy a kit,you might make matters worse.you need experience to smooth glass.
                              what i do for hard water spots is quik detailer and rub out with clean microfibre.It does the job for me and doesn't affect the wipers.(I think quik detailer is water based.
                              I have used an equivalent of rainx.They are good for beading but don't last really long.
                              Sorry to hear 'bout your windshield!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');