• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying with leaf blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying with leaf blower

I thought the idea was nifty but I don't have one. Well I went to Lowes the other day and they got some cheap ones.

Anyone have any recommendations for using a leaf blower to dry your car? For example, do you need a good quality one to get the job done or will the little $30 ones do just fine?

Thanks

Re: Drying with leaf blower

I haven't used one yet except to get the excess water off my engine but I would think that something compact would be beneficial.

I think the main idea with the blower is getting the water out of the seams and concealed spots where otherwise it will dribble out after you drive away. I believe a compact model would be ideal because if it's too large/bulky you probably won't use it much.

One thing's for sure, though - there will be lots of knowledgeable people chime in to answer your question.

Comment

More than adequate. It has an output of 160 mph. 100-120 mph is really all you need. I use a cordless model that I picked up off CraigsList and it has a maximum output of 120 mph, and the darned thing's battery lasts long enough to dry one car.

Comment

I use a gas powered one. I would say it does a 'good' job..not 'great'.

The plus side is that i blows out water from areas you normally can't get to with other methods..like mirrors, wheels, grille work, etc.

It doesn't blow all the water off the body though unless you really get after it. So, I use it to get the 'big stuff' and then follow up with a MF to get the rest.

With gas its a bit loud as you have to hold the blower high to get the roof, etc..Nothing hearing protection devices won't handle..

Comment

Sweet! This makes me very happy.

I also just found out that our house's water softener unit has a faucet in the garage that runs directly from the freshly softened water line. No more using the really hard water here in AZ!

It is in my opinion that the drying process of washing your car removes the most wax and can cause the most marring of your paint. So getting one of these would totally rock and help me sleep better at night.

Comment

You have to realize that unless you have a good coat of your lsp, the leaf blower will not work very well, the water will tend to stick/drag. Too many expect the leaf blower to be a complete means of drying when in reality it's not. You'll have to follow up and get the little droplets in some areas with a waffle weave/microfiber towel anyway...

A 150+ mph leaf blower works fine and is more than adequate. Some will argue that a 200+ is better, but IME there isn't much of a difference other than price...

Comment

This is the beast i bought, wind speed of 265mph, the thing rocks, but like others said, to get ALL the water off is a chore, i blow off as much water as i can, but really focus on the seams and cracks, i just did my buddies Mercedes last weekend, if i hadnt had the blower i would have paid for it, soap just loves to hide everywhere, but between the blower and a quick wipe where needed with a MF and your golden!
              "Every moment frontin and maxin
              Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
              "

Comment

Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't indent to get my car completely dry with the air blower.

... Okay I lied. I totally do. Haha. But I'm prepare to have to use some drying clothes

Comment

I have something that works better and only cost a quarter.

I will give you my X wife's phone number, just call her up and hold the phone next to the car and you dry in no time.

Comment

I have one I found in my moms garage, she says she paid about $40 for it. It works great, I use it to blow dry engines, in crevices, door jams, when I use a traditional wash I use the blower.

Comment

Don't blow across a panel towards the ground and stir up debris... I messed up and wasn't paying attention last weekend.... had to wash again...

Comment

Originally posted by RickyMartinZ28 View Post
                        Don't blow across a panel towards the ground and stir up debris... I messed up and wasn't paying attention last weekend.... had to wash again...
                        That's why before I start washing, I spray down the driveway (If you have a concrete one)...

Comment

Ohhh, good tips you guys. Thank you!

I think I'll first test out the leaf blower by (omg no wai) blowing the leaves off the driveway and other dirt.

Then water down the driveway.

Comment

One other thing I would suggest, and that I'm planning to do myself, is to ring the opening on the leaf blower vac-tube with rubber weather stripping in case you bump the paint. Might prevent accidental scratching.

Comment

^ Agree ^

Also make sure there are no loose items inside if you plan on blowing out vents and such, when things travel @ hurricane speeds inside your car, its never good.
                              "Every moment frontin and maxin
                              Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');