• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hood nicks. Scratches or paint fractures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood nicks. Scratches or paint fractures?

The photos below are from my project car, a 1993 Honda Civic (Aztec Green!) whose paint saw it's fiirst clay only last month. I use this car to hone my detailing techniques that I will later apply to my 2008 Accord and other cars for family and friends. I gave the car a 2nd claying today and noticed scores of tiny scratches on the nose of the hood. The scratches catch my fingernail, so it's definitely well into the clear if not down to the basecoat.

I have never seen anything like it, on this forum or some of the others I visit. I'm not really concerned with completely correcting it (heck, the roof and trunklid are in full clear coat failure as it is), but obviously some wetsanding would be needed to remove or reduce it. I'm more curious as to how it happened. I don't think it's foreign debris since the defects are scratches and not chips. Paint fractures? The beginning stages of clear coat failure? Some really determined cat with tiny paws using it as a scratching post?

Also dealing with some other warts that will need a full re-paint. Check out the paint blisters on the door handle

And the clear coat "peel" on the driver's front fender at the A pillar junction

And what do 16 years' worth of bonded contaminants look like?

The reason why I use Grit Guards...

Re: Hood nicks. Scratches or paint fractures?

Looks like CC failure

Comment

.....Yep
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I also think it is the beginning of clearcoat failure. Glad it is only your project car.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'll bet that the Civic has been repainted. The "checks" look like the stuff that used to show up in acrylic lacquer repaints. For sure the bubble is from a repaint. Basically the paint is "toast". Run it through a carwash every once in a while and call it "good enough".

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
            I'll bet that the Civic has been repainted. The "checks" look like the stuff that used to show up in acrylic lacquer repaints. For sure the bubble is from a repaint. Basically the paint is "toast". Run it through a carwash every once in a while and call it "good enough".

Tom
            The hood has never been repainted. I bought the car new in 1993. The only panel that was ever repainted was the passenger side door and kick panel after somebody backed into it in a parking lot over 10 years ago. But again, I'm not overly concerned. If I showed you pics of the roof and trunk, you'd encourage me to drive it to a bad area of town and abandon it with the engine running

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');