• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures from Thursday Night Open Garage - May 14th, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures from Thursday Night Open Garage - May 14th, 2009

Pictures from Thursday Night Open Garage - May 14th, 2009

Matt Davies from Meguiar's International was our special guest tonight and it was great having his assistance helping Aparna to restore the shine to her 1974 Austin Mini Truck.

Note Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our foam cutting pads on clear coat finishes, this rare truck was re-painted using single stage paint, not a basecoat/clear paint system. As a precaution we tested the W7207 with Ultimate Compound to a Test Spot on the hood and then inspected the results and found this combination of product on this specific single stage paint system worked extraordinarily well. So we continued the cleaning step using Ultimate Compound with our W7208 Foam Cutting pad, using a G110 Dual Action Polisher on the 5.0 Speed Setting.

If you look at the face of the foam pad Aparna is using you can see white paint accumulating on the surface as it's being abraded off the truck.

After the cleaning step with Ultimate Compound, the finish was so nice we went straight to wax and use NXT Tech Wax to maximize the gloss created by the Ultimate Compound.

For the roof, we hand cleaned and polished the paint using M80 Speed Glaze which really works great for restoring oxidized single stage paints by abrading the dead paint off gently, while all the while gorging the paint with a high concentration of polishing oils which acts to bring out the full richness of color. This was done using M80 Speed Glaze by hand followed by NXT Tech Wax.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Pictures from Thursday Night Open Garage - May 14th, 2009

So the UC would not have been a good selection for the roof? If not, just wondering why.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
      So the UC would not have been a good selection for the roof? If not, just wondering why.
      It would have worked fine, but we wanted the extra polishing oils provided by the M80 to help bring out the rich green color of the green paint. We could have used UC and then applied #7 but we didn't.

We also did the cleaning step on the roof by hand to avoid lifting the tips of the decal.

Does it look good?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

A Mini truck, that is neat. Is that custom or did they actually manufacture Mini trucks?
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B View Post
          A Mini truck, that is neat. Is that custom or did they actually manufacture Mini trucks?
          That is a very rare factory truck, it's also left hand drive. More pictures in a few minutes...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I think it looks great! I love the truck, very unique! I envy the owner because it is something unique. I like to drive something that not too many people drive...but that truck is in a class by itself!
            Last edited by MyFirstES300; May 15, 2009, 01:46 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

Since purchasing the classic mini truck Aparna has spent all her time on updating and refreshing the mechanical components to insure the Austin is safe and road ready for the summer cruising season here in SoCal so she hasn't had the time to restore the appearance of her new truck and that's where Meguiar's is ready to help out...

Besides polishing the paint to perfection we needed to restore the vinyl tonneau cover for the pick-up bed. Aparna mentioned reading about M40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner & Condition, which is Meguiar's professional strength version of the popular Armor-All type products.

M4016 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Condition

Dried out with embedded dirt... the vinyl is dull and lifeless...

Aparna used one of our microfiber applicator pads with M40 and spend some time liberally working M40 over and into the vinyl tonneau cover and then wiped the excess residue off and repeated the procedure. The first time her applicator pad turned a blackish gray with dirt, contaminants and deteriorated vinyl coming off onto the pad. When cleaning a neglected vinyl like this you want to use the product wet, that is heavy and really do a good job of working the cleaners of this product into and over the surface. This will loosen the dirt and other contaminants enabling you to wipe them off when you wipe off the excess.

She repeated the process using the other side of the applicator pad and you can see that the first application removed a majority of the dirt and contaminants and now her applicator pad isn't changing color as much, this is a sign you've thoroughly cleaned the surface.

After the second application was applied we allowed the M40 to penetrate for a few minutes and then Aparna wiped off any excess to leave behind a clean, conditioned and protected surface with a very rich, dark matte appearance.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Holycow that M40 rocks! Great job on that truck, wish i could have been there.
                "Every moment frontin and maxin
                Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                "

Comment

Sweeeet!! Very rare indeed. Seen one around here (if not mistaken) and it didnt looked as good as Aparna's.

Matt back in Cali? Get your butt back to Asia man LOL
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

Very Nice indeed!

Awesome looking little truck, gotta love M80 still

M40 is da bomb!!!

Good show
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I noticed that you were using the maroon cutting pad on the G-110.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
                        I noticed that you were using the maroon cutting pad on the G-110.

RamAirV1
                        If we accept that one sentence can also be a standalone paragraph, but we don't include the first sentence in the first post of this thread that's a blue, clickable link, then the second paragraph explains the use of the maroon foam cutting pad being used with a DA Polisher.

Click here and read the second paragraph in the first post; it starts with the word Note.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Note Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our foam cutting pads on clear coat finishes, this rare truck was re-painted using single stage paint, not a basecoat/clear paint system. As a precaution we tested the W7208 with Ultimate Compound to a Test Spot on the hood and then inspected the results and found this combination of product on this specific single stage paint system worked extraordinarily well. So we continued the cleaning step using Ultimate Compound with our W7208 Foam Cutting pad, using a G110 Dual Action Polisher on the 5.0 Speed Setting.
                          Ah, I was confused as you gave the wrong part number for the pad.

Isn't it the W-7207 and not the W-7208?????

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
                            Ah, I was confused as you gave the wrong part number for the pad.

Isn't it the W-7207 and not the W-7208?????

RamAirV1
                            Yes, you are correct, that is the right part number for the foam cutting pad in the pictures. I'll edit my reply and fix my mistake.

Good eye!

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Sorry for not posting sooner... been traveling!!

Yes Yes proud i'm the owner of this truck

Mike, Thank you so much for letting me attend this class. i learned a lot!!!

I should also thank my right had man Matt for helping with my truck

I thought detailing a car was much harder than it really was. Meguiars has get products that really bring out the show car shine

Thanks!!!

Ciao,
                              Aparna

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');