• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

NXT Generation Spray Wax
    Quik Wax

Either of Meguiar's two spray wax products work excellent by restoring a deep, rich, just-waxed look to your car's finish. The trick to using a Meguiar's Spray Wax and getting great results is primarily in your application technique. It's also very important that you're applying it to a painted finish in the right condition. The right condition is a finish that is in new or like-new condition and already has a good base-coat of wax on it. This is one of the reasons we coined the term, "Booster Wax" for the front label on NXT Tech Wax. The idea behind the term is to imply that Meguiar's Spray Waxes are product to be used on finishes that already have wax protection, not on neglected finishes in need of claying, cleaning and polishing.

When used on finishes already in great shape, either of Meguiar's spray waxes in the automotive lines will quickly and easily add a deep, wet shine and restore that just waxed look in most cases faster than you can apply and remove a traditional paste or liquid wax. This is partially because this is a very thin product that wipes on and spreads out easily, and also because properly applied to the correct condition finish, it wipes of very easily and quickly with a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or 100% cotton, terry cloth towel.

There are two ways to apply a spray wax, both work equally well.

1) - Applying with a foam wax applicator pad

Basically, what you do is to take a clean, foam wax applicator pad, such as Meguiar's Hi-Tech Applicator Pad

and mist some wax on to one side of the pad to moisten it with wax. Then apply the spray wax like you would any other wax covering the car with uniform, overlapping motions. You only need a thin coating.

If you start at one corner of your car, and then go around the car till you end up where you started, you can then begin removing the wax following the path in which you applied it.

Here's my daughter spraying NXT Tech Wax onto a foam applicator pad,

Here she is applying the Spray Wax with the foam applicator pad,

If she can do this on black paint, anyone can do it.

After applying a thin coating of the NXT Spray Wax, she removes it using a fresh, clean, dry Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe

I usually use two Ultimate Wipes with one in each hand.

It's quick and easy, but it takes applying and removing it a few times to become experienced and good at it. It was getting dark so I didn't get any after photo's but we have used this product so much since purchasing the Pilot that I can assure you, it always comes out looking great!

2) - Applying with a microfiber polishing cloth

Another method of applying a Meguiar's Spray wax is to apply it using a microfiber polishing cloth. Here's my daughter misting some NXT Tech Wax onto a clean, folded Ultimate Wipe. The trick to making this technique work is only using one side of your folded microfiber polishing cloth to apply the NXT Spray Wax over the entire car.

First she moistens one side of an Ultimate Wipe and then she can either spray some NXT Spray Wax onto the finish, or continue to spray some onto this same side of the Ultimate Wipe as she works her way around the Pilot.

The reason this method works is because once you have dampened one side with wax, you now have a wax-moistened surface that spreads and applies wax like the foam applicator pad. If you try to continually switch to a new, dry side, the cloth will tend to adsorb your product while your trying to spread it out and thus you will feel like you're fighting yourself while trying to spread the product out.

Here is what a thin coating applied over the entire finish looks like,

Then, after applying to the entire finish, you can start removing the wax where you first started applying the wax and follow your path of travel.

Hope this helps...

Mike

p.s.

Click here to ask questions or add your comments about using Meguiar's Spray Waxes...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Nice write-up Mike! I am sure it will be very helpful!

I will make sure to type up the snippet for it and add it to the site at some point today.

Chris
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Great write up as usual Mike.
      I tried the booster wax a few days ago following the directions on the back. Spraying it on the car then spreading. That was a nightmare. I am still trying to get the wax off in some places. I'll have to give it another go with this technique.

PS: Is this how you punish your kids. Came home past her curfew. Punishment: Waxing the pilot!

Comment

Someone sent me a PM, (Private Message), asking me,

"Mike, what is the advantage of using NXT Spray Wax instead of applying an actual coat of the NXT Tech Wax?"

(I answered this question in another thread on this topic, so I'm going to just copy and paste it here)

Time, ease of use and above all convenience. (for me, your mileage may vary)

I have found with that when it comes to NXT Spray Wax, (or any spray wax), there are two camps,
        • 1. People that like it
          2. People that don't.

I'm in the first camp, I like it, but it takes a little experience from using it and little technique to use it correctly and get great results.

I can wash my Pilot, or my 73 Blazer, and quickly go over the entire car applying the spray wax and then quickly remove it, and it looks like I just spent hours waxing my car. It is faster than applying a normal coat of wax once you have a little experience with the product and acquire a little technique from that experience.

For some people, they would prefer to apply a regular coat of wax. One of our forum members, Mosca, has said in the past that he can apply a normal coat of Tech Wax, (or any wax), to his Miata and remove it just as fast as he could apply the Spray Wax. A Miata is a small car, with with an uncomplicated body style that lends itself to well to quickly wiping on and removing wax. Tom also is an experienced and skilled enthusiast having been involved in the car hobby and auto industry for most of his life.

The Honda Pilot, like a lot of S.U.V.s, is larger than a Miata and has a more complicated body style.

I can definitely apply a coat of NXT Spray Wax and remove it much faster on the Pilot than I can apply and remove a normal coat of Tech Wax. For me it's faster and the Pilot with it's blue metallic black paint comes out looking awesome!

Two camps.
        I think whether a person likes using a spray wax or not depends upon their skill and experience with using the product and to some degree the car they are working on. I have posted the techniques for using a Meguiar's spray wax numerous times and on numerous forums and I have seen people that have posted negative experiences come back and post, or PM me, that after using our spray wax on the right condition paint and using one of the techniques I have outlined in this thread, that they now like the product. Like me, they like the results the spray wax delivers for the time and energy they expend to use it.

Hopefully with this how to article, the first camp I listed will grow and the second camp of people will shrink!

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

True, I have said that I can wax the car as quickly as I can quick wax it; but it is also true that if you stick with it, you can master the technique and get real benefit, even with a car like a Miata.

See this thread for my description of using NXT Booster Wax.

Part of the secret, of course, is yourself. If you work in a relaxed and methodical manner, then there's almost no difference in the time. It's easier to apply and remove a spray wax quickly, but you also have to want to do it; you can do it at the same pace as a regular waxing, if you want to. You can make it slow, or you can make it quick. But you can't make the regular wax quick.

The quick waxes go on faster (not requiring any working into the paint), set up in less time (5 minutes rather than 20) and come off easier (especially so when using 2 mf towels, one in each hand). But, you can work them into the paint, let them set up for 20 minutes, and wipe them off slowly with one towel, too, if that's your nature.

Tom
          As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Yea Mike c'mon dude, come home alittle late because the cell phone died,,,,,,no just playing man

Anyway, I learn something new everytime I browse this forum, I kid you not. I didn't even know there was some technique to apply spray wax?? I thought you just spray it, smear it and buff it.

I wonder if you could apply nxt spray wax with a PC?? maybe on speed 2 with a w-9006 pad?? Will spray wax provide enough lube between the pad and paint to not instill swirls?? One would think if this is possible and if there's a technique to it, the pc would not instill swirls provided there sufficient lube from the spray wax itself and the product would be evenly spread across the vehicle. Just a thought to ponder,,,,,,AR

Comment

i have just purchased meguiars booster wax and have finished the first application in record time. i read the directions on the bottle but decided to use a mf towel and spray some on that instead of on the car. it went on quickly and wiped off easily. i already had a good base with FMJ and P21s so the booster wax is just what i needed. can only say if it last as long as the ease of application mequiars has a winner in the booster wax .

just one dissapointment. the spray nozzel was a weak point. it sprayed out in small gobs. did not matter in this application ... i guess. but have been using the spray nozzel from the quick detail spray and i guess i am just spoiled. maybe it is the formulation of the wax that makes it that way....?
              cwcad

Say what you do...Do what you say!

Comment

Thanks for the write up, Mike. I still prefer using the NXT wax though, I am usually not in that much of a hurry that I do quickie jobs. Might be good as maybe a $10-20 add-on for my weekly wash customers about halfway through their wax job's useful life. I just need to get the hang of using the spray a little better.
                Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

great write up!!

quick question though..
                  if i used nxt on my car, does it matter which quick spray i use on it or what if i used a wax on the car?? can i switch around between the two sprays?? (i have both bottles )

thanks

Comment

Hey,

Which two spray waxes are you referring to? The NXT Spray Wax and the Quik Wax???

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Sccrdq
                      great write up!!

quick question though..
                      if i used NXT on my car, does it matter which quick spray i use on it or what if i used a wax on the car?? can i switch around between the two sprays?? (i have both bottles )

thanks
                      It's just personal choice, both products will work fine over the NXT Tech Wax. The difference between the two products is this, the NXT Spray Wax is all synthetic ingredients, while the Meguiar's Quik Wax contains Carnauba wax in the formula.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

oh shoot!!

sorry tim my baaad~
                        yes the two sprays i was refering to are nxt and quick wax

Gene

Comment

Hey Gene,

That is what I figured! As Mike said, either one works great over NXT Tech Wax, IMHO!

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I sustituted a terry covered foam pad for the Tech wax foam pad. It was easier for me to handle and allowed me to lay down a nice thin coat of the Booster.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil
                              I substituted a terry covered foam pad for the Tech wax foam pad. It was easier for me to handle and allowed me to lay down a nice thin coat of the Booster.

Tom
                              Possibly starting as soon as January, many of our new accessory line products will become available. I think this new product will work very well with our spray waxes...

EVEN-COAT APPLICATOR PAD 2-PACK

Unique Quality Features

· The ultimate tool for truly even application of any wax, producing unsurpassed mirror-like results.
                              · Specialized microfiber material produces unsurpassed results when applying wax or protectant.
                              · Ideally sized for long-term comfort.
                              · Washable and reusable.

X3080
                              Suggested Retail Price $2.99

The quick, comfortable, and effective way to apply wax.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');