• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

single stage paint-clear-coat paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single stage paint-clear-coat paint

How can I know that this car has a single-stage paint or clear-coat paint?fficeffice" />
    And what’s the different between?

Re: single stage paint-clear-coat paint

How To Test for a Clearcoat or Single Stage Paint Finish
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Take an applicator pad and put some scratch x on it, or some other sort of paint cleaner. Rub it on your paint for a good 5 seconds. If the applicator turns the color of your car, then it is single stage, if the applicator is the same color as when it started, then it is clear coat.

A single stage paint has the actual paint exposed on the surface, where as a clear coat has a base coat of paint (which is where the color of the car comes from) and a clear coat on top of that. (you can almost think of it as a lamination in a way, but it isn't by any means, that is just kind of a parallel)

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Dose the single stage paint have a different way of detailing than the clear coate paint?

Comment

i don think so, because you are either removin clear or paint to make it reflect light better for the shine. and you have to seal to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by splash View Post
            Dose the single stage paint have a different way of detailing than the clear coate paint?
            Speaking in generalizations- they can. Single stage paints are generally easier to work with than clearcoat paints since clear coats are generally harder. But, with single stage paint the pigment that gives paint its color also gives it hardness or softness, and single stage white for example can be a very hard paint for that reason.

Of course, clear coats have a lot of variance as well so in a sense they are similar.

One of the main differences is that you are working on the color itself...which can lend itself to more dramatic results. This is likely because the color under a clear coat can fade, but if you can only work on the clear then you can't bring life back to the color underneath. Working on single stage you can directly remove the dead or oxidized color, and then add oils directly to the color...leaving it vibrant and "wet" in appearance.

Most detailers will agree single stage paint is preferable for polishing, but all in all you treat them fairly similarly: use test spots, use the least aggressive method possible (that gets the job done), and find something you like and use it often.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');