• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 Ford Ranchero - Extreme Makeover - M105/M205 Tag Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Ford Ranchero - Extreme Makeover - M105/M205 Tag Team

1960 Ford Ranchero - Extreme Makeover - M105/M205 Tag Team

Met this gentleman at our local Autozone and mentioned to him that his car was a great candidate for an extreme makeover; explained the process and gave him my phone number, figured like most people he'll never call. A few months later this guy calls me and reminds me of the car and asks if I still want to use it for an extreme makeover? Let's me know he's going to take his Dad in it for a car cruise and car show this upcoming Saturday, so I said... garage door is already open...

He purchased this 1960 Ford Ranchero off eBay in running condition for $900.00 and has been tinkering on it in his spare time while using it as a daily driver back and forth to the cement plant where he works. So the paint sits out in the Mojave Desert sun and bakes with a coating of all kinds of dust from the cement plant landing on it.

We did a Test Spot on one section of the driver's hood and the results were so dramatic we decided to tape off half the hood and do a before and after, side-by-side demonstration. Anyway, the two of us did the job in 6 hours start to finish.

Normally we would reach for M80 Speed Glaze as it will usually do a good job of chewing off the dead, oxidized paint from a single stage finish when used with a wool pad and a rotary buffer while gorging the paint with same type of polishing oils found in M07 but instead we decided to use SMAT products for the cutting and polishing. We used M105 with a rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad followed by M205 using a W-8000 foam polishing pad on a rotary buffer and it worked like a charm.

We did the optional step of re-polishing the single stage paint using M07 Show Car Glaze to really gorge the paint with the high concentration of polishing oils found in M07 and then sealer the paint using NXT Tech Wax Paste version 1.0 (That's what I had in the garage).

After we got into it the owner commented how he wasn't aware how involved we were going to get as he thought we were just going to wax it.

Products Used
    M105/W5500/RB - 1500 RPM
    M205/W-8000/RB - 1500 RPM
    M07/W-8006/DA - 5.0 Speed Setting
    NXT/W9207/DA - 4.0 Speed Setting

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: 1960 Ford Ranchero - Extreme Makeover - M105/M205 Tag Team

Wow. Thats awesome, seems to be in good cosmetic shape for less than a grand. Bronco is looking good as always too!
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

OMG! The owner was lucky you found him!

Comment

From pale yellow to a deep wet yellow = awesome Mike!
        Learning new things everyday

Comment

good stuff... good stuff.
          Zuke, it's not a bronco. Is it?
          is it the rare blazer that Mike mentioned in the 2 bucket wash method video?
          Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
          baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Pretty cool Mike!

Comment

Awesome work, Mike! Must be incredibly fun and satisfying to bring back the finish on classic automobiles Will we be seeing the Ranchero as the label model for any new Megs products in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by dope92cc View Post
                good stuff... good stuff.
                Zuke, it's not a bronco. Is it?
                is it the rare blazer that Mike mentioned in the 2 bucket wash method video?
                That was a factory 2-wheel drive 1973 Blazer and I sold it to a local Blazer fan... my current rig is a 1975 GMC Jimmy, the twin to the Chevrolet Blazer. 1975 was the last year for the full convertible and no smog in California.

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                Pretty cool Mike!
                Single stage paints are so easy to create dramatic before and after results that it's not even work to buff one out in fact it's fun.

Just wanted to show that the SMAT products are very capable across a wide range of paint correction variables.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Simply amazing work Mike!

I bet the owner was really pleased.

Im suprised you didnt use NXT 2.0 though

either way, nice work!
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Mike after seeing how much all of you experts rave about single stage paint I cant wait to get my hands on some! Im sure ill get a chance during the summer, there are tons of guys in my town with the crank engine style cars

Comment

What a dramatic change. Way to go Mike.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        That was a factory 2-wheel drive 1973 Blazer and I sold it to a local Blazer fan... my current rig is a 1975 GMC Jimmy, the twin to the Chevrolet Blazer. 1975 was the last year for the full convertible and no smog in California.
                        It's been about 30 years since I've seen the movie, but isn't that the same truck Charlton Heston drove in Earthquake?

Comment

Wow! What an amazing transformation in the paint Mike. I wish there were more SS painted cars to work on just because they are so fun.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

How dare i challenge the type of horse Sir Mike has, sorry! I mean blazer
                            "Every moment frontin and maxin
                            Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                            "

Comment

900 bucks!?!?!?! What a find!
                              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');