• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A pretty big weekend project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pretty big weekend project...

Hey guys!
    I'm new to the Meguiars board but not that new to their products. I've mostly used their interior stuff.

This weekend, I have a pretty big project with my car. I'm going to wash and strip the wax from my car, clay it .. fix a couple paint chips, then polish and wax it. So I have a few questions.

I have everything I need to wash, clay (mequiar's clay or course) and repair the chips... my questions come AFTER that.

After I repair my chips and wet sand, I have another brand of rubbing compound that I'm familiar with, nothing against Meguiars, I just have lots of experience with the other.... Anyway, so after I've repaired, wet sanded and rubbed down the repaired area... I need to know the next product to use. I have some buffing swirls I'd like to remove (body shop got carried away) and I'd like to use the most protective wax Meguiars has out. I'll be using a DA Buffer, and I'd also like to know which pads to use with what applications...as far as polishing and waxing goes.

It doesn't matter whether it is Consumer or Professional Line becuase I have places that sell both relatively close to me. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: My mirrors, and parts of my doors, have this black plastic matte type finish... What should I use on them? They're not suppose to be super glossy, I mainly just want to protect them from fading.

Re: A pretty big weekend project...

Welcome to Meguiars Online!!
    I would use Meguiars Ultimate Compound or Swirl X.
    Then Seal it all up the Meguairs NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0!!
    Good Luck!!
    Have Fun!!
    Take Pictures!!
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was looking at the swirl-x, I don't think I need something as abrasive as The Ultimate Compound. Can I use the swirl-x on a larger area of my car? I have quite a few swirls on the roof, but I think they're just on the surface and not deep at all, and I don't want something chewing my paint up.

I got the Tech-Wax earlier today, before I read your reply...WEIRD. I was lookin at the #26 High-Tech Yellow Wax, but picked this up instead. AND Auto Zone was having a special, If I bought a NXT and got a bottle of Supreme Shine FREE...I used it this afternoon, and I like it a lot, good shine but not greasy.

So I got my wax. now I need to know what POLISH to use before the wax I want that "wet look" as I have Laser Blue Metallic Paint and it looks so damn nice when it's clean and polished up. So what's your best POLISH reccomendation? Consumer or Professional, doesn't matter. What about the Professional Machine Glaze? Says it outshines ALL other machine glazes.

Comment

To remove sanding marks?
        M105 and a wool pad and M205 if needed
        NXT is a great wax

Comment

Well the way the polishes work is they smooth out the clear coat, not chew away at the paint.
          And yes Swirl X is formulated to be used all over the car in large areas.
          Be warned Swirl X is as thick as molasses.
          If you want a Professional Product I would suggest buying a Sample of M205 from ADS.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
            To remove sanding marks?
            M105 and a wool pad and M205 if needed
            NXT is a great wax
            No, I have some rubbing compound to rid the sanding marks, I've used it before and I like it. I was asking more about the swirl marks. I can't wait to try the NXT wax, I've never used a Meguiars wax or polish before.

People seem to love the 205. Do you think, JUST the 205 would remove light swirls and leave a good shine ready to be waxed? Could I go straight from 205 to wax? Oh and is it OK to go with 2 coats on the NXT? I'm looking for what every car-junky is looking for....Max Shine in the Polish along with Max Shine and Protection in the Wax.

Hey thanks a lot you guys...I really appreciate your help.
            Last edited by ThaRaven7; May 1, 2009, 09:25 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Yes.
              M205 leaves the paint ready to be waxed.
              Also it leaves behind a nice glossy and wet looking finish.
              Especially with NXT 2.0
              Good Luck!!
              Have Fun!!
              Post Some Pictures!!
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
                Yes.
                M205 leaves the paint ready to be waxed.
                Also it leaves behind a nice glossy and wet looking finish.
                Especially with NXT 2.0
                Good Luck!!
                Have Fun!!
                Post Some Pictures!!
                WOOHOO, you rock Carfire. 205 better be good... that stuff's $34. But if it's "Professional" it's gonna cost more. I'm ready to tackle this beast. I'm going to do some before and after pics.

Comment

You can also buy, a Sample of 205 from ADS.
                  It should last a few cars. I did a Small Truck, a2 Large Trucks, a car and still had a little bit left.
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  '99 F-150

Comment

That sounds like s great idea, only I'm doing this tomorrow (all day), so I wouldn't be able to get it here quick enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');