• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A look into the TW (TylorWeaver) Method of applying Tire Dressing ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look into the TW (TylorWeaver) Method of applying Tire Dressing ;)

So I recently posted pictures of my PURE Detailed: 2005 Silverstone S2000 and had mentioned my method of applying tire shine/dressing to my tires.. Using a heat gun

Instead of having that little tid-bit of info buried away somewhere in a thread that'll be long lost and forgotten, I've decided to post up a How-To on the TW Method of applying Tire Dressing This will give you a smooth, clean shine to your tires, that will last nearly twice as long as other conventional methods!!!!

First off, some fun-facts:

On a sports car, mine in particular, I run softer compound tires than most other members on the forums, with they're daily drivers, suv's, trucks, etc.. My tires, in particular, are a '200 treadwear rating'.

Typically, the lower the treadwear rating on a tire, the softer the compound or durometer of the rubber. I'm not a tire expert, but generally speaking, the higher the number treadwear rating, the harder compound the tire is.. With a softer compound tire (lower number treadwear rating = less endurance/life out of the tire, itself), the tire shine/dressing will soak into the pores easier, and stay shinier/brighter, lasting longer. But with a harder compound tire (higher number treadwear rating = higher endurance/life out of the tire, itself), the tire shine/dressing will not soak as easy into the pores, and will not stay shinier/brighter as long as the opposing softer compound tires would.

HOWEVER... All of this is dependent on the tire manufacturer and several other factors. Personally, I have ran the same treadwear/compound tire before from Company A, and also from Company B.. but depending on the actual (mostly proprietary) manufacturing process, varying from manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as depending on the actual cell structure of the rubber used... Your results might possibly vary given the brand tire you use as well.

There are alot of different variables to apply to this question, "How much longer does the tire shine/dressing last, using this method?":

-Tire manufacturer
    -Grade of rubber used (durometer/shore/treadwear rating)
    -Manufacturing process (mostly proprietary to each different company)
    -Condition of the sidewall surface (new tire vs. old tire)
    -Tire pressure (low pressure = more sidewall flex, higher pressure = stiffer sidewall)
    -Environment the tires are driven through (salt, sand, dirt, dry, water, heat, cold)
    -Your daily/weekend driving habits

To answer the above question:
    In general, using this method, regardless of tire manufacturer, tire size, rubber compound, and the environment you usually drive your car in.. should greatly increase the life of your tire shine/dressing. Not only will this increase the longevity of the tire shine/dressing on your tire, but it should also greatly reduce the amount of product one uses overall, throughout a calendar year of detailing... Thus, keeping your money in your wallet, without having to go out and drop $6-$15 every month on tire shine (like I know, most people do!) Instead, with proper tire care, and proper tire shine/dressing application, you'll be looking at maybe only ONE (1) application per month!

Also, just a side-note, but I've found this to work best with pretty much every Meguiar's Tire Dressing product... As far as bleach white, armorall, etc.. the white stuff, I haven't even applied this method to those yet.

NOW... Onto the How-To!

For using the 'TW Method' of Applying Tire Dressing, you will need the following materials:

-Your favorite Tire Shine/Dressing
    -Two (2) Foam Tire Shine/Dressing Applicators (one for the initial application, and the other for the final pass)
    -Heat Gun (or loved-one's hair blow-dryer)

(For this demonstration, I was at a buddies house, so I didn't have my favorite Meguiar's Tire Dressing products with me... So bare with me!! )

Step One:
    - Using the Heat Gun, you want to make a few slow passes around the sidewall of your tire, ensuring the surface becomes warm to the touch.. It could take as little as 2-3 passes, or as many as 5 passes to bring your sidewall up to a good, warm temperature.. (this all vary's on the kind of tires you have) By heating up your sidewall, you are causing the microscopic pores of the rubber, to expand, thus allowing a well-prepped 'canvas' to apply your favorite Tire Shine/Dressing!

Step Two:
    - Using one of your two Foam Applicators, apply [or in this case, spray] your Tire Shine/Dressing directly onto the applicator, do so generously, but do not waste product. This will be your "Initial" applicator, as you can see in the first 'materials needed' picture, I marked mine as "1st".. You will want to use this one for your primary applications, eventually this applicator will become soaked in product. So just keep in track of which one is for which!

Step Three:
    - Now, hopefully you haven't taken 5 minutes to just do Step #2, but by now, your tire sidewall, should still be warm to the touch (if not, reheat as necessary repeating Step #1).
    - Using your "Initial" applicator, coated generously with product, you want to make one smooth, even pass around your sidewall. Be careful not to apply pressure, as doing so, will result in 'pooling' or dripping of the product.. Either onto your garage/driveway, or down your wheel face. You'll want to have your whole sidewall look a little something like this:

Step Four:
    - After your initial Tire Shine/Dressing Application, using the Heat Gun again, you will want to repeat Step #1. Applying heat evenly, go back around the sidewall of the tire, making a couple of passes - This will allow the product to dry and better adhere into the surface/pores of the rubber.

Notice how the product appears to be beading or stringing.. This tells me, that the 'TW Method' is doing it's job so far The product is being absorbed into the surface/pores of the rubber..

Step Five:
    - At this point, you want to leave the tire that had you initially started with, and move around the vehicle, performing the above steps - Steps 1 thru 4. The time it takes to move around and complete each of the remaining 3 tires and back around and onto the first initial tire, this should have allowed the product plenty of time to "setup" naturally [in addition to applying heat to it and so forth..]
    - Now, using the second of the two Foam Applicators you began with, we're going to call this one the "Last" applicator.. Not so much for an application though, being that there will not be any actual 'application' of product, but instead, this will be used in the next step as a 'final pass' or swipe of the tire's sidewall.

Step Six:
    Alrighty, this is the last and FINAL step, folks!!

-Using this "Last" Foam Applicator, as mentioned above in Step #5, you will want to make one smooth, uniform pass around each tire, using very little to NO pressure. This will remove any excess product that has 'pooled' or 'dry-beaded' onto the surface of the sidewall. Not only will this remove any of the excess product to prevent slinging, but this also helps ensure that we have a nice, thin, even coat of product on each tire.

Viola!!! Done!
    Now have a gander at a couple 50/50 pictures, showing the end result prior to Step #6 and after using Step #6:

And finally, the end product, in it's entirety!

Thanks for dropping by!!
    Last edited by tylorweaver; Apr 30, 2009, 06:43 AM.

Re: A look into the TW (TylorWeaver) Method of applying Tire Dressing

Very cool Tylor, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Just so you know, your link at the top of the post is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      Very cool Tylor, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Just so you know, your link at the top of the post is not working.
      Can't win them all!

FIXED!

Thanks Mark!

Comment

Originally posted by tylorweaver View Post
        Can't win them all!

FIXED!

Thanks Mark!
        No problem. Btw, I moved this thread into the Tricks of the Trade, and removed the duplicate thread. You will find all the replies here now.

Comment

^You're the man! Thanks sir!
          Like I said.. Can't win 'em all! lol

Comment

Interesting.... too bad I don't have a heat gun to try this

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

awesome write up, will have to give this a try very soon, will probably get some weird looks from the neighbors, but oh well they probably expect it by now..
              Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                *You can also use a hair/blow-dryer

If you don't have that, and go around with bed-head all the time , then I'd suggest you using one of your 500w Halogen worklamps.. Set it about 12-16" away from the center of your wheel/tire and let it sit for about 5-10minutes.. This will get the surface of the sidewall, nice and warm..

Use the same method in place of using a Heat Gun or hair/blow dryer, for Step #4

Good luck! And thanks everyone! Hopefully ya'll can use this to its full potential!!

Comment

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Looks like it will be tried out very soon. Now I get to buy a heat gun.

Thanks again.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                    For using the 'TW Method' of Applying Tire Dressing, you will need the following materials:

-Your favorite Tire Shine/Dressing
                    -Two (2) Foam Tire Shine/Dressing Applicators (one for the initial application, and the other for the final pass)
                    -Heat Gun (or loved-one's hair blow-dryer)

Excellent how-to post! REP is on the way!

Comment

*You can also use a hair/blow-dryer

If you don't have that, and go around with bed-head all the time , then I'd suggest you using one of your 500w Halogen worklamps.. Set it about 12-16" away from the center of your wheel/tire and let it sit for about 5-10minutes.. This will get the surface of the sidewall, nice and warm..

Use the same method in place of using a Heat Gun or hair/blow dryer, for Step #4

Good luck! And thanks everyone! Hopefully ya'll can use this to its full potential!!

And if ya dont have a heat gun or mega watt lights, just come on out to Palm Springs,CA. in the summer when it's 120 degrees out, let car sit in sun for 4 hours and boil the tire spray!!
                      Barry

Comment

Very kewl!
                        Can't wait to try this out!

Comment

Interesting. I did read about it earlier in the link you posted. Will definitely have to try it out.

May I asked how you came across or stumbled across this idea?

Edit: I have the same heat gun, from the pictures it looks like you have the air vent thingy all the way closed or just about for max heat, is this how you always do it?
                          2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                          2005 Honda CRF250R
                          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Originally posted by 02zx9r View Post
                            Interesting. I did read about it earlier in the link you posted. Will definitely have to try it out.

May I asked how you came across or stumbled across this idea?

Edit: I have the same heat gun, from the pictures it looks like you have the air vent thingy all the way closed or just about for max heat, is this how you always do it?
                            Correct, I do have it turned to max heat, just to get the job done quicker, and to heat the tire up quicker.. The goal is to move around the circumference of the sidewall, heating it up as you go.. You don't want to heat a section slowly, then come back around, and it's back to being cool again! So, my fix for this, is the hotter, the better! You can't really damage your tire any by heating it up with a heat gun, blow dryer, or high-wattage work lamp.. Although, the worst that can happen is end up burning your fingers on your own fixture!! (TOTALLY, never done that one before.. I swear! lol)

In response to your other question.. "May I asked how you came across or stumbled across this idea?"

Actually, I managed to develop this idea myself a while back.. I'm an engineer, so I have a pretty decent background in physics, thermodynamics, etc. I deal with it on a daily basis.. I design lights for cars, trucks, buses, power/motorsports. So the understanding of heat transfer is kind of a given.lol.. So, I decided to try it out on my brothers car first, about 3 years ago, producing great results.. and I've been doing it ever since! It might take me, maaaaybe 20minutes to go around and do all four tires the correct way - So, I've started incorporating this as a standard, when working on a client's car, as well.. So far, everyone seems to love it, and this makes as a great 'popper' to really make things 'pop' in the end, giving the overall look of the car, a stunning, brilliant shine

Thanks for all of the questions, comments, and especially the compliments! Very much appreciated guys! Thanks!!

Comment

Definitely have to give this a shot! Thanks!
                              -James
                              2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');