• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffing oxidized white single stage with PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing oxidized white single stage with PC

I've been trying to revive the paint on a friends '89 Toyota Cressida (name in Australia). What a mongrel of a job!

It's a single stage (no clear coat) white paint that was oxidized to a chalky finish (1 on a 1-10 gloss scale). I read that white single stage paint has Titanium Oxide as its pigment and as such is as hard as it gets...it feels like buffing granite with a Kleenex!

The owner hand buffed it using Autoglym Renovating Polish (much more aggressive that DACP). That took it up to about 3 on the gloss scale.

I attacked it with various product/pad combinations on my PC.

I used #83 with both buffing and polishing pads, finishing with #9 on a polishing pad. That took it to about a 6 or 7 on the gloss scale.

The best results was a panel using the Autoglym Renovating Polish with a polishing pad and continually re-wetting it with QD (it would dry within seconds!...not meant for PC use) until it was just dust, which would burnish the surface to a gloss...probably an 8 on the gloss scale. But what a dusty mess!!

So much work and such a hard paint!!

Any advice?
    Paul Marmarinos
    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Hey,

Often, a severly oxidized paint is way beyond the PC's ability. The only way to deal with a paint like this is usually with a rotary buffer and an aggressive compound.

Unfortunately, with only the PC, there is no easy solution to the problem. You may want to try more of a chemical cleaner like Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. But again, it does sound like it will need a rotary. Sorry.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');