• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PURE Detail: 2005 Silverstone S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PURE Detail: 2005 Silverstone S2000

This is my first true, full detail of the year.. lol, whew! So bare with me guys!!
    (Nothing special really.. it's REALLY hard to show a before and after with my car... the silver metallic always makes it appear clean, when it's actually about an inch thick of bonded surface contaminents.. lol, but I'll try here)

Before:

(you can almost catch a glimpse of my detailing cart in the background ) lol

Now for the After:

I <3 Meguiar's!!
    Last edited by tylorweaver; Apr 28, 2009, 08:05 AM.

Re: PURE Detail: 2005 Silverstone S2000

Sure a nice looking S2000!

Like that exact color too! Wife said no......

Good show
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

The products used:

Washing:
      - Meguiar’s Gold Class - Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
      - Two 5 gallon Wash Buckets w/ Grit Guards
      - Genuine Lambs-Wool Wash Mitt
      - 303 Convertible Top Cleaner

Body/Paint Preparation:
      - Meguiar’s Last Touch Detail Spray
      - Meguiar’s C2000 ClayBar
      - Two Carlile Microfiber Buffing/Cleaning Towels
      - 3M Blue and Green ProTape
      - Reynold's Aluminum Foil
      - Meguiar's Hi-Tech Foam Applicator Pads & CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators (Orange, White, and Red)
      - Meguiar’s - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

Paint Cleaning/Polishing Compounds: (spot treatments)
      *did not have time to perform spot treatments on smaller scratches or scuffs*

Paint Finish Pure Polish/Glazes:
      - Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze - Show Car Glaze #7

Last Step Products: (Sealants/Waxes)
      - Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze - Synthetic Sealant 2.0 #21
      - Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26
      - Meguiar’s - Ultimate Quick Detailer Spray

Wheels/Tires:
      - Meguiar’s - Wheel Quick Detailer
      - Meguiar’s NXT - Insane Shine
      - Custom-made Chisel Tip Foam Applicator
      - Two Carlile Microfiber Buffing/Cleaning Towels
      - Professional Grade Heat Gun (to prime the sidewalls prior to tire shine application - used once again to dry and better seal tire shine finish for a long-lasting clean shine, without that superWET look)

Misc:
      - Meguiar's - All Metal Polish
      - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze - M17 Plastic Cleaner
      - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze - M10 Plastic Polish
      - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze - M18 Plastic Detailer
      - Meguiar's - PlastX Plastic Cleaner
      - Meguiar's Gold Class - Aloe Leather Cleaner
      - Meguiar's Gold Class - Aloe Leather Conditioner
      - Meguiar's Gold Class - Trim Detailer

*Note: This was done in under 12 hours from start to finish, and was all done by hand - lol, my porter cable died on me!!!!! Time for a G110!

Comment

Looks good. I have a silver car as well and it is really hard to capture good before pics, but there's a big difference in your after pics. Nice work!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys! Yea, if I knew I had enough time to really do a FULL detail on my car, and actually REMOVE some of the fine scratches and minor swirl marks, I would have taken some before and after pictures of those as well.. Instead, I had to settle for a glaze! Ughhhh!!! :/ I hate just hiding what's there.. because, no matter how clean she looks, I'll still know there's tiny blemishes still.. haha

Thanks again ya'll!! Be on the look-out for more PURE Detailed cars!

Comment

good job...the heating of the tire is very interesting...does it actually work?
            Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
              good job...the heating of the tire is very interesting...does it actually work?
              Yup! Just think, when you apply heat to a porous surface, such as rubber (sidewalls in this instance), it expands, causing the pores to open up microscopicly..

While heating the surface of the sidewall, you want to run behind the blow dryer or heat gun, like the one I've used, with your tire shine applicator.. laying down a smooth, and uniform layer of tire dressing around your sidewall.. I usuall go around it once or twice to ensure the dressing has soaked into all the cracks of the sidewall tread, lettering, etc.. After going around to all four corners of your car, using the same process... You'll be back on the first wheel/tire you begain with. Go over it again with a less-saturated tire dressing applicator to slightly remove the larger amounts of tire dressing left over on the surface of the sidewall, where significant amounts have 'pooled' around the crevices of some lettering.. Once that tire looks uniformly finished with tire dressing, you want to hit it once more with your blow dryer or heat gun (sometimes, I've used my 500w halogen work lamp, and just had it set level with the center of my wheel about 12-16" away, and it helped heat the surface of the sidewall, just as well as the blow dryer/heat gun method) ... This will help 'seal' or 'bake' the tire shine onto the rubber surface of your tire sidewall. Not only will this give you a uniformly-shiny/wet look, your tire shine/dressing will last FAR longer, and will NEVER sling onto your paint..

Comment

Great work on the S2000. Looks great.

I am also interested in the heat gun application on the tires. Under normal circumstances, How much longer does the protection last?

Dry weather, no monsoons.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                  Great work on the S2000. Looks great.

I am also interested in the heat gun application on the tires. Under normal circumstances, How much longer does the protection last?

Dry weather, no monsoons.
                  Significantly longer.. Haven't really measured it out in real world circumstances, or bothered to hypothetically start the stop watch on it.. Just with a guesstimation, I've noticed it to last nearly twice as long as normal applications. With far greater results.

But, how's this sound? I'll throw up a quick little DIY on it first thing tomorrow morning with pics, and start the egg timer on it

Comment

**side-note**

Just a little fyi though.. On a sports car, mine in particular, I run softer compound tires than most other members on the forums, with they're daily drivers or suv's, etc.. I run a 200 treadwear rating.

Typically speaking, the lower the treadwear rating on a tire, the softer the compound or durometer of the rubber. I'm not a tire expert.. lol, but generally speaking, the higher the number treadwear rating, the harder compound the tire is.. With a softer compound tire (lower number treadwear rating), the tire shine/dressing will soak into the pores easier, and stay shinier/brighter, longer... But with a harder compound tire (higher number treadwear rating), the tire shine/dressing will not soak as easy into the pores, and will not last as long, or stay shiny as long as the softer compound tires..

HOWEVER... This is all dependent on the tire manufacturer. I've ran the same treadwear/compound tire before from Company A, and also from Company B.. but depending on the actual (sometimes proprietary) manufacturing process, varying from manufacturer to manufacturer, and also depending on the actual cell structure of the rubber used... your results might possibly vary given the brand tire you use as well.

There are alot of different variables to apply to this question.

-Tire manufacturer
                    -Grade of rubber used(durometer/shore/treadwear rating)
                    -Manufacturing process
                    -Condition of the sidewall surface (new tire vs. old tire)
                    -Tire pressure (low pressure = more sidewall flex, higher pressure = stiffer sidewall)
                    -Environment the tires are driven through (salt, sand, dirt, dry, water, heat, cold)

But in general, using this method, regardless of tire manufacturer, tire size, rubber compound, and the environment you usually drive your car in.. This method should greatly increase the life of your tire shine/dressing once applicated onto your sidewall. Not only will this increase the longevity of the tire shine/dressing on your tire, but it should also greatly reduce the amount of product one uses overall, throughout a calendar year of detailing your tires... Thus keeping your money in your wallet, without having to go out and drop $6-$15 every month on tire shine Instead, with proper tire care, and proper tire shine/dressing application, you'll be looking at maybe only ONE (1) application per month!

Also, just a side-note, but I've found this to work best with pretty much every Meguiar's Tire Dressing product... As far as bleach white, armorall, etc.. the white stuff, haven't even tried it yet.

Again, I'll post up a little DIY thingy tomorrow sometime in the regular forums

Comment

Call me dumb, but what is the little loop that sticks off the front end? Awesome job on the car btw!
                      "Every moment frontin and maxin
                      Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                        Call me dumb, but what is the little loop that sticks off the front end? Awesome job on the car btw!
                        Thanks for the compliment! It's a tow-hook.. mainly for looks, but I use it for track days as well..

This is my daily driver as well as my track car.. lol.
                        I also have a kirkey race seat, and run 17x9 +38 wheels on all fours, with Hoosier R6 Race Compound tires, an OEM trunk that I swap out with a Voltex TypeIV Dry Carbon high-mount wing... I usually spend a half day or so putting all that on, the day before an HPDE or Club Track Day

Thanks again!!!

Comment

You're killing me...

I love the Honda S2000's...

Nice work, it looks so clean and sanitary, as though you could eat off of it...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Looks Great!!
                            Nice Job!!
                            Keep Up the Great Work!!
                            Joel
                            Firefighter/EMT-B
                            Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                            "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                            '99 F-150

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys!! It's been because of MONTHS of lurking and browsing around the forums, I've picked up half these techniques and have come to develop some of my own!

Mike, next time you're out my way, give me a shout!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');