• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaner vs. clay bar; redundant???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaner vs. clay bar; redundant???

Ok, please correct me if I am wrong but if a clay bar address surface contaminates and cleaners address imperfections below the surface, won't the use of a cleaner take care of both? Will the cleaner not clean its way through the surface contaminates to create a suitable surface for Synthetic Sealant 2.0, or do I need to use clay?

The car in question is a dark blue 2005 C230.

Also, what setting is best on the porter cable 7424 for the Synthetic Sealant 2.0?

Thanks for the help!

Re: cleaner vs. clay bar; redundant???

Clar bar is for ABOVE surface bonded contaminants
    paint cleaners are for BELOW surface contaminants

each have seperate jobs.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Think of it this way. Cleaners can remove surface contaminants, but they have to remove the contaminants before it can get to imperfections below the surface. It would be better to use the cleaner on a smooth surface that has already been clayed that way the cleaner can be used to its full potential to remove swirls, plus the clay bar makes sure to completely remove all surface contaminants while cleaners don't always take off all contaminants.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
        Clar bar is for ABOVE surface bonded contaminants
        paint cleaners are for BELOW surface contaminants

each have seperate jobs.

Cleaners can remove above surface contaminants to a certain extent. On heavily oxidized paints it is at times to recommended to use a paint cleaner before clay bar to remove the heavy oxidation, then use the clay bar to get what is left off and create a clean surface.

Comment

I was just thinking about this the other day
          My conclusion: Clay removes some contaminates, thus your working products into your paint and not the fallout contaminates.

I've always just compounded the paint with no problems
          Claying before compounding makes sense but if just compounding works then it works
          I might be switching to claying first, but I'm still on the fence

Comment

You have to realize that in order to get to the contamination below the surface you have to have a clear and free surface. I recently (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, & Sat) clayed four cars and then cleaned all of them, followed by NXT 2.0 wax. The cars ranged from '05-'78. I tried just using a cleaner on my son's '01 Tacoma (see CLAY BAR BELIEVER post in conusmer products) first and had no luck. I got the best results when I CLAYED then cleaned and wax. I am working on pictures of a '78 Aspen to show my hard work. In short, clay-clean-wax. Good luck.
            RG Curtis
            U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Originally posted by rgcurtis View Post
              You have to realize that in order to get to the contamination below the surface you have to have a clear and free surface. I recently (Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, & Sat) clayed four cars and then cleaned all of them, followed by NXT 2.0 wax. The cars ranged from '05-'78. I tried just using a cleaner on my son's '01 Tacoma (see CLAY BAR BELIEVER post in conusmer products) first and had no luck. I got the best results when I CLAYED then cleaned and wax. I am working on pictures of a '78 Aspen to show my hard work. In short, clay-clean-wax. Good luck.

Exactly! If you want to use the paint cleaners to their full extent, you want it to be working on removing defects rather than cleaning off contaminants then whatever else is left in the cleaner on the defects.

Comment

Clay removes above surface contaminants. Now that they have been removed you would use a cleaner to remove the below surface contaminants.

I would also look at it this way. By claying you remove the above surface contaminants. If you went straight to a cleaner without claying, you would run the risk of taking the above surface contaminants and smearing them around. Which would reduce the cleaning ability and clarity of having a clean smooth surface for your lsp.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks.

If I am pressed for time, can I safely go from clay to polymer sealant?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');