• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M205-M105 vs M82-M80-M83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M205-M105 vs M82-M80-M83

Hi Mike,

I believe to understand the principle SMAT. So, abrasives do not degrade. Thus, me work the polish the time which I consider necessary to make the correction? It is with the experience that I am going to know the necessary time with the combination pad, pressure, speed?

On the other hand, I use a polish at the end of finish with DA PC to obtain swirl free and a great brilliant finish. M205 is more abrasive than M82. Abrasives are then less fine? So, the finish should be less completed, less brilliant-glossy?

Can you explain to me what have the reasons to choose more new series M205-M105 compared with M82-M80-M83?

It is difficult to understand the utility or the exact differences of each of the abrasives to make the corrections that we need...

Is it the series M82, M80 and M83 are going to disappear?

Is this new series effective on paints scratch resistant?

The M205 work as well in the hand as the M09 or better?

M205 is not available in Canada?

What product is the ideal in the situation that a customer asks for a simple wax application but for no complete treatment of decontamination with the clay bar? A product to clean the in-depth paint faster than the clay bar (but probably less effective but better than anything).

Thanks!

Re: M205-M105 vs M82-M80-M83

CDN, what kind of car do you have? What polishes do you have? What kind of polishing machine do you have? The more you tell us about your situation, the better Mike and others will be to advise you.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for taking this out of e-mail and posting to to the forum.

Hang on for a few minutes...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by CDN View Post

Hi Mike,

I believe to understand the principle SMAT. So, abrasives do not degrade. Thus, me work the polish the time which I consider necessary to make the correction? It is with the experience that I am going to know the necessary time with the combination pad, pressure, speed?
        Correct. Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's a thread on this topic,

What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology?

On the other hand, I use a polish at the end of finish with DA PC to obtain swirl free and a great brilliant finish. M205 is more abrasive than M82. Abrasives are then less fine? So, the finish should be less completed, less brilliant-glossy?
        M205 is still a VERY light or non-aggressive cleaner/polish. Because of the way the abrasives work it will finish out as nice or nicer than M82.

Note this is a general statement because not all paints are the same, some products work better on some paints while not as good on other paints, that has to do with the paint itself and we can't control that factor.

That's why we teach everyone to do a Test Spot before going over the entire car with any product.

TEST SPOT

Doing A Test-Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.

Can you explain to me what have the reasons to choose more new series M205-M105 compared with M82-M80-M83?
        New technology. If you're new to this forum and or the detailing forum world then you probably haven't seen or read all of the threads where people are raving about how nice these new products are.

Might just have to invest in them and try them out to find out for yourself what all the buzz is about when it comes to all our new SMAT products.

Click on the images to go to their dedicated threads...

Swirl and Scratch Removers

Ultimate Compound
        ScratchX 2.0
        SwirlX

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish & **NEW** M105 Ultra Cut Compound now for DA Polishers!
        M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
        M105 Ultra-Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

It is difficult to understand the utility or the exact differences of each of the abrasives to make the corrections that we need...
        1. What kind of work are you mostly doing?
        2. Do you work in a body shop sanding and buffing fresh paint?
        3. Are you detailing cars full time?
        4. Are you just taking care of your personal car?

Is it the series M82, M80 and M83 are going to disappear?
        That's not on the agenda at this time as there are too many people that love and buy these products.

Is this new series effective on paints scratch resistant?
        So far these new SMAT products have worked better on almost everything they've been applied to and that would include the new scratch resistant paints, (which still scratch, that's why people have to polish them).

The M205 work as well in the hand as the M09 or better?
        On clear coat paints it will likely work better but that depends a lot upon the skill of the person using them. I have the good fortune of teaching most of the Saturday classes here at Meguiar's and one of the things we cover are the BASICS, like how to use your hand to apply the different categories of paint care products and you would be surprised at how many people don't know how to correctly apply the different categories or products.

So yes, assuming all other factors are the same and you have good hand skills when it comes to working on thin, delicate, easily scratched clear paint.

M205 is not available in Canada?
        We can't control what our distributors bring into their inventory. If it's not available from Meguiar's Canada you might have to get creative.

[QUOTE=CDN;306641]
        What product is the ideal in the situation that a customer asks for a simple wax application but for no complete treatment of decontamination with the clay bar? A product to clean the in-depth paint faster than the clay bar (but probably less effective but better than anything).

Check out D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream

D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream

Thanks!

Thank you for your patience and for joining the forum and posting your questions here. We hope you find you like our forum and see it as a resources or tool just like a bottle of wax.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I use 3 polisher, 2 DA (Flex and PC(for finition) and 9227C...
          1. What kind of work are you mostly doing? Detailing
          2. Do you work in a body shop sanding and buffing fresh paint? Rarely
          3. Are you detailing cars full time? Yes
          4. Are you just taking care of your personal car? No
          M205 ans M105, Revolutionary products without the problem of excess or not enough to work the product with a finish superior. There is then less risk of problem and error... Interesting!

Is there an alternative in D151 but without the stage of wax but with an excellent power of decontamination?

Thanks for this informations

Comment

I
            Is there an alternative in D151 but without the stage of wax but with an excellent power of decontamination?
            Thanks for this informations
            D151 is a one-step cleaner/wax so you only have to do one step for a product type detail. If you want a product without wax you'll have to come back and do a wax step so now you're up to at least 2 steps not counting washing and claying.

Compounds, Paint Cleaners and Cleaner/Polishes have no wax and can be used to correct paint.

We also have another one-step cleaner/wax that uses diminishing abrasives, (DAT), instead of SMAT, the part number is M6601 Quick Detailer.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              CDN,
              what kind of car do you have? Customer's car. Very different I ask questions because I do not know this range of product and I wonder what they can bring me furthermore that the others.
              What polishes do you have? 3M, Menzerna, Poorboys...
              What kind of polishing machine do you have? 2 DA (PC and Flex) + 9227C

The more you tell us about your situation, the better Mike and others will be to advise you.
              Mike knew my situation by email
              Thanks!

Comment

The difference in D151 and M66 is the capacity of correction of M66 compared with D151 which is only cleaning chemically?

I look for a fast product when a customer asks only for a sealent of quality without a complete decontamination with a clay bar... I apply an acrylic sealent thus I need a healthy base not to affect the durability...

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');