• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Ranger

I sent one of MOL's finest Mark Kleis a message about my truck as read below. Any other input from others would be great as well.

Hey i saw your Ranger and it gave me a smile, im going to be doing the works on mine this weekend. I think you may have touched on it before but is the ranger's paint hard or soft? Im purchasing a DA this weekend and 105/205 and some other porducts, i have "Torch Red" paint, im thinking the same as yours, im curouis as to what products worked best for your truck

and one more thing. Happy Friday!
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Re: Ford Ranger

Hey Zuke,

Thanks for taking your PM to me and posting it here. Now we can all learn from it!

Now, as for your Ranger generally speaking Ford paint is very user friendly. It's right in the middle of hard and soft, somewhere about "just right." It's incredibly rare to have issues with holograms or unexpected results. Naturally of course, still use a test spot because sometimes there are exceptions (or re-paints!).

I don't know how severe the damage is on your Ranger, but I think you might be a perfect candidate for the new Ultimate Compound with your DA buffer. M105 might be overkill, but it is good to have it on hand in the event you need it.

I don't know what your budget is, but my advice would be to get a bottle of SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and Ultimate Compound. Those are the 3 consumer products that are all new, and DA friendly. I listed them in the order of weakest to strongest, and the same order you should use them on your test spot.

If you end up using anything stronger than SwirlX make sure you test the results as you may need to go back over the area with either M205 or SwirlX to refine the finish at the end.

As for what I used, I detailed my truck quite some time ago (sold it in 2005) but I used original ScratchX. The new SwirlX and ScratchX 2.0 should work great, and better!

Comment

Thanks again, I have been blessed by someone to help invest in me to get this detailing going. I have a bottle of Swirl X and the UC already, i washed and clayed my truck and applied both on my hood to test out, by hand, and am pretty sure i didnt apply it correctly. Im jittery just thinking about working on my truck i love it! Im going to attempt to get some of the swirls out again tonight, they are everywhere but the side rails on my bed seem to have it the worst. I will post some pictures tonight when i get home, As far as my budget goes its around $600. I am getting a DA and Vac/Blo. I also plan on getting @ least a gal of APC/HD/and QD. Thanks again for the advise. Hopefuly i can get that red to pop soon!
      "

Comment

When you tested those products did they remove the swirls at all?

Did you just spread them around like a wax? Or did you use some force and really work it into the paint?

Comment

i taped of a 12x12 and applied it like wax in circular motions, with moderate pressure. But i only worked it in for 20 seconds @ a time before removing and trying again. I did noticed a small difference but with the weather they way its been i havent had a second chance @ it. I don't have a garage to work in right now.
          "

Comment

The Ranger did look AWESOME!!
            Mark Kleis is a Great Guy, and He is good at what she does.
            Joel
            Firefighter/EMT-B
            Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
            "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
            '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
              The Ranger did look AWESOME!!
              Mark Kleis is a Great Guy, and He is good at what she does.
              Another Freudian slip? At what "she" does eh?? LOLOL Just teasin'!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I've noticed everyone thats posted here has a Ford! Anyone have a pic after they had cleaned it? I will be putting some Pix of mine on there tonight. The only draw back i have from my truck is that when its clean its a magnet for theft and i have been every so lucky to have both locks popped detailing for body work anyone haah
                "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                  I've noticed everyone thats posted here has a Ford! Anyone have a pic after they had cleaned it? I will be putting some Pix of mine on there tonight. The only draw back i have from my truck is that when its clean its a magnet for theft and i have been every so lucky to have both locks popped detailing for body work anyone haah
                  Pics? Sure just click on my reviews in my signature! That should help you with a few pics! Check on the M205 review for a 2008 Ranger FX4.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                    Pics? Sure just click on my reviews in my signature! That should help you with a few pics! Check on the M205 review for a 2008 Ranger FX4.

Tim

I saw those! Made me wanna drool? Hey how far north in Canada are you? And what did you use on the wheelwells for the truck, i have the same type but mine are red instead of black, would HD be my best bet?
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                      I saw those! Made me wanna drool? Hey how far north in Canada are you? And what did you use on the wheelwells for the truck, i have the same type but mine are red instead of black, would HD be my best bet?
                      I live in Kelowna, so about 4 hours from Vancouver BC.

I used Hyper Dressing at a 3:1 dilution for the wheel wells. Spray it on, use a foam brush to spread it around and then let it dry. Come back with a dedicated MF towel and then wipe it to knock down the shine a little, so it looks more natural.

I just realized, are you talking about the wheel wells or the fender flares? When you said yours are red, it made me think maybe that is what you meant? For the fender flares, I used Zaino Z-16 which works extremely well. But if your Ranger is the Sport model , then they are probably painted in which case, treat them just like paint. Be a little more gentle if buffing them.

Tim

Comment

Correction again yeah its the fenders.

yeah yeah i know the front end is an eye sore. im working on it, and the windshield.

here is a pic of the rail on my bed, Im going to tackle this tonight again with some scratchx and/or UC. How much pressure would you say by hand is needed for these battle swirls.
                        "

Comment

Some of the deeper stuff there you might need to end up living with- is that from dragging stuff over the bed rails? It doesn't look like simple wash induced swirls.

As for pressure, quite a bit. You should be putting all of your weight on the pad by any means, but you should be pushing fairly hard.

Comment

nice truck though, I like the color
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yeah when i first bought the truck(new) i thought i would be working full time as a sales rep for a cement co, and as clumsy as i am i've scratched it deep in some spots. Ok well i only have about an hour of sunlight so im going to wait till the morning and keep plugging away @ the swirls with the UC and SwirlX. Thanks again for your help and im sure ill be bugging you soon enough
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');