• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does clay (sealed) have a shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does clay (sealed) have a shelf life?

Bought some clay about 4 years ago at Walmart on clearance - $4 for the bar, QD.. Used 2 of the 5 boxes and the other 3 remained.

Fast forward where today I remembered I still had them under the sink still sealed. Opened the clay, wet down my fingers and started kneading a quarter/little larger chunk and it started coming apart and almost breaking as it was really hard. Just a few swipes later it started shedding little pieces of it (was plenty of QD) all over the area I was working with. I re-kneaded it really well, still wanted to come apart in my hands. I tried working with it a little more and then it pretty much turned into a bubblegum consistency. Was using Last touch 1:1 with it.

Opened a 2nd box, unwrapped the clay and it behaved in the same way. The other 2 boxes I used several years ago were fine, no issues. Temperature around 70 where they were stored, no sunlight on them, nothing out of the ordinary.

I never knew that clay had a shelf life?

/clay magic blue clay - gotta use the stash sometime before cracking open the megs I have
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Re: Does clay (sealed) have a shelf life?

Was it Meguiars clay, or the Blue Magic that shredded?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The clay in question is the clay magic stuff. Was going to use it up as I got my first box of the smooth surface megs stuff about 2 weeks ago from WM.

Shredded is a good word for it.

Comment

I have used the Clay Magic, but right away, never stored it.

Perhaps they need to be kept a bit more moist?

They tend to say to store used pieces of clay with a spritz of QD, perhaps that would have helped?

I am kind of curious also, because I have about 5 blocks of Meguiars clay sitting around waiting to use. I only need about 1 a year for my own car.
        Last edited by Murr1525; Apr 16, 2009, 11:27 PM.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well these bars were factory sealed, never opened. After opening I store them in a ziplock baggie with some qd sprayed in to keep it wet.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');