• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M82, M80, Swirl X Questions for 2008 Mustang GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M82, M80, Swirl X Questions for 2008 Mustang GT

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I recently purchased a meguiar's DA G110 from amazon, some m80, m82, and some swirl x along with several different polishing/finishing pads.

I used the DA yesterday on my 2008 Mitsu Outlander XLS in Manatoba green after claying it. It turned out great. I used the M82 swirl free polish and then applied some Zymol Japon wax by hand. The finish on the Mitsu. was in pretty good shape with a few swirls from the factory and very light hazing and scratches.

The polish/polisher turned out GREAT results. I am totally converted to using all Meguiars products with the exception of the wax. I have used Zymol products for years and am totally satisfied with the results and am not interested in trying another product at this time (unless someone on here steers me otherwise :-)

I really got a good feel for the DA with the Outlander and am now ready to tackle my wifes car. Her's a bit of a mess. It is a 2008 Mustang GT in black. We bought it a month ago with 20K miles for a steal because it was previously a rental car. Unfortunately, it must have been run through auto carwashes it's entire life and murdered with a poor polishing job at the dealership because under the right light, it is covered in little swirls and "circular spiderwebs" It actually has great shine and you can see reflections of everything in it when clayed, precleaner/waxed, waxed. Unfortunately, the swirly's are getting to me and HER, so the DA was purchased for it...

Now the questions...

1. I had originally purchased the m82 because I thought it was like m83 but not quite as aggressive (and I'm new to a DA.) I was going to use it, then follow up with the M80. After reading here, I have read a couple of posts that M80 is actually more aggressive than M82 So I should M80, then M82. Is this true?

2. Her cars paint looks like the "presidential detailed NSX post" right now if it was not waxed. Using the "arsenal" I have at my disposal, what would you recommend? Time is not an issue; I will take a panel at a time, if you said using all 3 polishes was the best thing, that is what I would do. I just need the best order. FWIW, I have 4 each of the following pads: W8006, W9006.

3. If anything would be seriously better to buy, what is it? I will be finishing it with Zymol Ebony wax unless something else is totally better..

Finally, yeah I know, don't make fun of me. I drive the grocery getter, my wife drives the sports car. To make matters worse, we have actually installed a bamachips tune, a C&L intake, JBA dual exhaust, HID headlights and fog light upgrade, and a sequential tail light kit. LOL...At least mine has titanium paddle shifters :-)

Re: M82, M80, Swirl X Questions for 2008 Mustang GT

Just to get this out there, you will probably need M83 to make some good progress with the paint on the Mustang. They tend to have "harder" clear coats and tend to need some of the more aggressive products. But yes, that would be the correct order for those two products.

Try the M80, or even the SwirlX and see where that gets you. If it is not where you want it to be, I'd pick up some Ultimate Compound and give it a go since M83 could still leave some defects in the paint.

Comment

SwirlX and #80 would be close, but they are different types of abrasives. You may want to do a little test spot of each, too which works better for you.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would suggest getting some ScratchX 2.0 to use as your first step with a polishing pad on your DA. Follow that with either SwirlX, or M82 to refine the finish.

Naturally, you want to start by doing your process start to finish on a test spot (1x1 or so) to make sure you are getting desirable results before taking the time to do the entire vehicle.

Comment

We've seen quite a few cars that have been routinely run through a brush type car wash and the paint on these types of cars is as bad as it gets.

If this car is Swirl City, might as well pull out the big guns and pick up a bottle of Ultimate Compound.

Be sure to read this first and only work small sections at a time for the swirls removal step.

How To use: G110 - G220 - G100 - PC/Porter Cable - UDM
          If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
          Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
          (These are all similar tools)

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you all for the posts!! Everyone is so friendly and informative.

I can get Ultimate compound locally, and since I wanted to try everything out on Sunday, I will buy it instead of the M83. That way, I have everything I need for my test spots.

Could you help me out with the right pads for the right product??

I have 4 each of the W8006 and W9006.

If I started with the Ultimate compound, which pad?

then would I go to the m82 and which pad?

Or would I go to the m80 and which pad?

Or would I go Ultimate compound, m80, m82.....and if so, which pads?

Thanks in advance!!

Comment

You would use the W8006 polishing pad with the Ultimate Compound. As far as which polishes and pads with which to follow-up, others will have to guide you. You may well have to experiment with different combinations. FWIW, I would initially try SwirlX with a finishing pad. A lot of people seem to be having good luck following-up UC with SwirlX.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

UC will get the W8006, as akimel stated.
                M80- W8006
                M82- W9006 (After the above on the tougher paint, I would use the 9006 and use the M82 as more of a polish than a cleaner).

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I will start tomorrow. I have a job just to get the wax off that was put on it a week ago. I clayed the whole thing, then used mothers cleaner/wax, then put on a coat of ebony zymol on the whole thing, two coats on the hood!

I will use dishwashing soap to take it off I guess. I am going to try to do the hood first with a test spot and then work the whole hood tomorrow. If I mess up entirely, I was considering a new hood anyways and it would of course have to be painted.

I think I am going to try two spots:
                  On one spot, UC then go to M80, then go to M82.
                  On another spot, UC then go to M82 and work it out.

I will do the whole car which ever way works out best.

Comment

You don't need to wash the car with dishwashing soap to get the wax off. Just the action of polishing will remove the wax you applied last week.
                    Jason

Comment

I would go with a regular wash and dry. Then mask off everything and do your test spots. Once you have your prescription dialed in, your all set.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
                        You don't need to wash the car with dishwashing soap to get the wax off. Just the action of polishing will remove the wax you applied last week.
                        Really? I thought I would have to remove the wax so I would not clog up the polishing bonnet(s)

Comment

Originally posted by mahicks View Post
                          Really? I thought I would have to remove the wax so I would not clog up the polishing bonnet(s)
                          There's two schools of thought on this so you're going to get two different answers. YES, the claying and polishing will remove the previous wax from the surface of the car. YES, a Dawn wash will also remove the previous wax on the car.

I always do a Dawn wash on customer's cars before a polish job so as not to clog the pads more quickly with wax residue. This is especially true if the wax application is recent (two weeks or less) as the elements haven't been able to remove much if any from the surface. You can go either way and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm just Old School I guess and prefer to have a "clean palette" so to speak after the initial wash to clay and polish.

Remember the Dawn wash is a one-time type of thing. Repeated uses can dull exterior rubber and discolor exterior plastic trim if used as a regular washing solution. A one-time application will not damage or fade anything...

Comment

I've never washed a car with dish soap, and have never had clogged up pads because of it. You should be cleaning them [the pads] frequently anyways for optimum performance.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                              I've never washed a car with dish soap, and have never had clogged up pads because of it. You should be cleaning them [the pads] frequently anyways for optimum performance.
                              I think you misunderstand the message I was trying to get across. Polishing a waxed car is not going to destroy your pads or cause them to gum up after a panel. Does the wax have to go somewhere? Yes. Is that place your claybar or pad? Yes if that's all that's coming into contact with the paint. Does it really make a difference? As I stated in my post probably not.

But this rampant fear of washing a car once or twice in it's lifetime with dishsoap causing all rubber seals to deteriorate, plastics and trim to discolor, or the vehicle dissolve to dust is ridiculous...

The purpose of forums like this is so people with different methodologies can get together, exchange ideas, and learn. Some of us prefer to leave the wax on the car prior to clay/polish. Others want the paint as "virgin" as possible to best see defects, examine paint condition, reduce clay/pad contamination and any possible product interference. Some of us prefer to have the clay complete this step. Truth is you have to wash it anyway. You have to clay it anyway. Does it really matter which step removes the wax? It's a matter of preference. I wanted to make sure he knew both options were ok. I've seen some of your work and your process works great for you...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');