• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to hook up water tank???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hook up water tank???

Well I finally got my water tank in! The only problem is I have no clue how to hook it up. I got a pump with an on/off switch from a farm supply store, but I'm at a loss for what kinds of fittings, etc to get so I can get water from my tank. I'm not going through pressure washer, just a hose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to hook up water tank???

Originally posted by sudsbyhubbs View Post
    Well I finally got my water tank in! The only problem is I have no clue how to hook it up. I got a pump with an on/off switch from a farm supply store, but I'm at a loss for what kinds of fittings, etc to get so I can get water from my tank. I'm not going through pressure washer, just a hose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    What tank did you get and where? I've been looking at one at Plastic-Mart. I called Northern Tool, but they don't have the size I want in stock. There's a local company I plan to visit tomorrow morning that may have one, but they are almost twice the price as Plastic-Mart. I didn't price shipping and I imagine that it will be high, so local pickup may end up being cheaper.

As far as fittings, I think a local hardware or Lowes/Homedepot will have what you need. Just take the pump with you. Your tank info should say what size thread you need. Get a fitting that goes into a shutoff valve and then to hose, or put the valve in the line somewhere close to the tank in case you need to stop a leaky fitting or damaged hose. I wouldn't use clear hose as it soon becomes opaque inside from minerals and stains and defeats the purpose of being able to see through it. It also usually kinks easy. Any good black hose should work like water heater hose for your car, but the hardware will have it for plumbing purposes. It won't kink if you get good quality and secure it in your truck and don't have sharp bends.

Here's a link to see the different size fittings available to give an idea how they size the thread and hose barbs. Probably want a clamp on the hose at each fitting to prevent leaks or coming loose.

This is an example of a male/male NPT (national pipe thread?) fitting you would use in between your valve and tank. If it sticks out too much you can get it in a 90 degree fitting. You don't want straight thread. The thread on most water devices is tapered NPT.

The ones on this page show what you will need to go from the tank to hose or hose to pump / pump to hose. Just find your size in NPT and with a hose barb that fits your hose (3/4" inner diameter I.D.)

Hose clamps:

Spring clamp

Band clamp

Also be sure to use a sealant or ****** tape is the easiest. Wrap it on the fitting three or four wraps around clockwise if you are looking at the threaded end so it doesn't undo when you screw in the fitting.

Shop brass fittings, pipe fittings, hose barbs & flare fittings - street elbow, coupling, push-on hose barb, JIC, NPT - Sales@FastFittings.com 866-515-5481

Hope this helps,
    Steve

http://www.fastfittings.com/brassfittings
    Last edited by 10degreesbtdc; Apr 16, 2009, 11:09 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Wow, that's a huge help! I got the tank at Plastic-mart.com, it's a 50 gallon tank. Thanks a lot Steve!

Comment

It's just basic plumbing
        Your local hardware store should have everything you need
        Just take Jimmy out to the tank and he should be able to figure out your needs

Comment

Originally posted by sudsbyhubbs View Post
          Wow, that's a huge help! I got the tank at Plastic-mart.com, it's a 50 gallon tank. Thanks a lot Steve!
          You're welcome! How's it coming? I looked at the same tank, but had to go with one shorter, narrower and of course, taller to maintain 50 gallon capacity due to my wheel wells and air compressor size. I lacked about 2 inches from being able to use that nice, flat rectangular tank you are using. PM didn't have the size I needed so I ended up paying more for it locally, but the guy at Glenn Industries here in Clearwater gave me a discount. If I had ordered this tank online the shipping would have made it even more expensive and I wouldn't have gotten the valves with it.

Anyway, hope you're having success with your endeavor!

Comment

Sudsbyhubbs, did you get your water tank plumbed? I'll be doing mine in a couple days.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');