• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oily Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oily Finish

I was inspecting a job done by a dealership today that was done 4 months ago and the finish was oily (left finger prints when touched). Should the final finish be oily?. If not what did they forget.

Re: Oily Finish

mmmm...Don't really know
    4 months is a long time
    Do you know what they used?
    How are you washing it?
    Have you washed it?
    Any pics?

Comment

Not my truck, Didn't think the finish should feel oily. The truck is washed at pressure wash and was driven all winter.

Comment

I've seen some people/dealerships wash with a hint of mineral/olive oil in their soap solution... produces a good shine, but can sometimes leave a slightly oily finish...

Also seen people use pantene pro-v 2-in-one.... as car wash...

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickyMartinZ28 View Post
          I've seen some people/dealerships wash with a hint of mineral/olive oil in their soap solution... produces a good shine, but can sometimes leave a slightly oily finish...

Also seen people use pantene pro-v 2-in-one.... as car wash...

-Rick
          Wow!
          The things people do!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisw View Post
            I was inspecting a job done by a dealership today that was done 4 months ago and the finish was oily (left finger prints when touched). Should the final finish be oily?. If not what did they forget.
            Can you go to the dealership and show them the oily finish and ask them where they think the root cause might be?

Hard to say without being there.

If you want to fix it you might be able to remove it using a detergent soap like dish washing soap or a better approach from a purist point of view would be to rub the paint down with a light paint cleaner or cleaner/polish.

If this option interests you let us know.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You know, I have seen this as well...kinda. After waxing, I guess the wax wasn't shaken well or something and the surface looked oily and streaky. I just re-washed and everything was OK.
              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

You know I had to laugh reading this post.

Ran into this guy the other day. He saw a Meguiars window decal on my Jeep. Asked about Meguiars. Dismissed all that I told him as hogwash. He knows the secret to a great car finish. Had to ask, what is it. He said "wash your car in kerosene. Protects the finish and leaves a high gloss." He claims to this day he still washes his car this way.

Now, maybe he was in your neck of the woods and you had his car or maybe one of his relatives. lol.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Some waxes leave oily finishes,it is nice to look at but if one touches the car it leaves finger marks specially noticeable on darker paints and keeps lots of dust.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post

Ran into this guy the other day. He saw a Meguiars window decal on my Jeep. Asked about Meguiars. Dismissed all that I told him as hogwash. He knows the secret to a great car finish. Had to ask, what is it. He said "wash your car in kerosene. Protects the finish and leaves a high gloss." He claims to this day he still washes his car this way.

Now, maybe he was in your neck of the woods and you had his car or maybe one of his relatives. lol.
                    That made me laugh!

My wrestling coach forbid us from drinking soda during wrestling season and compared it to kerosene, he was an old guy, owned two bars and smoked heavily. He would say in a husky voice, "you wouldn't put kerosene in a high dollar car would ya?" So, after wrestling, some of us at the soda machine would get some "kerosene"

But to wash a car with it? insane! probably taking a bit of paint off of the car as he did every time!
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post

LOL. I knew an old guy who owned a limo service. He had a fleet of six black stretch limos that he would only use kerosene and water to wash and buff dry. He would never use wax and his fleet always looked top rate. He would swear by this stuff. He washed his fleet at least weekly so the limos never needed any durable protection and the water would bead like crazy on the surface of his black cars.

I have to admit the paint looked nearly flawless. I doubt kerosene would protect more than a week.

The interesting thing he claimed was that the kerosene would get into all the cracks and crevices that wax could not and prohibited rust forming in those impossible to reach areas. That might have been true as none of the fleet ever had any visible rust.
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

This thread seems like deja vu? Isn't there a thread like this on this forum?

For what it's worth, I worked as a roughneck on an oil drilling rig and we washed everything with a mixture of kerosene and water.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                          LOL. I knew an old guy who owned a limo service. He had a fleet of six black stretch limos that he would only use kerosene and water to wash and buff dry. He would never use wax and his fleet always looked top rate. He would swear by this stuff. He washed his fleet at least weekly so the limos never needed any durable protection and the water would bead like crazy on the surface of his black cars.

I have to admit the paint looked nearly flawless. I doubt kerosene would protect more than a week.

The interesting thing he claimed was that the kerosene would get into all the cracks and crevices that wax could not and prohibited rust forming in those impossible to reach areas. That might have been true as none of the fleet ever had any visible rust.
                          The kerosene wash was old school stuff. You used 1 cup of kerosene to 1 bucket of water. The kerosene would get in the nooks and cranys and help prevent rust.Kerosene would not protect, it would just remove road film evertime it was used.Like I said it was old school, there are better things out there now.

Comment

just dont light up a smoke around that finish!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');