• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foam Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Guns

I read up on them a little bit on here, but can anyone tell me what the benefits are to using one over the traditional bucket and sponge/mitt combination?

Why is a quick connect necessary? There isn't a switch to select from plain water to rinse over to soap?

Do they use more soap?

Thanks!

Re: Foam Guns

Foaming the paint will allow the soap to loosen and carry away some dirt/debris before a wash mitt touches the car. Less chance of scratches.

Quick connects are not mandatory, just easier to work with. The best way to rinse is with a full stream of water, just out of the hose with out a sprayer. The Gilmore foam gun does have a quick disconnect integrated in to the sprayer/reservoir combo. The sprayer separates from the reservoir so you can just spray water.

Yes, they use more soap.
    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Well, I think most of the threads involve me... so here is a few answers:

1. I dont know about it being a whole lot quicker, maybe a little. And it uses the same amount of soap, maybe an ounce more, at least the way I do it. I like it because the soap, and thus my lubrication, seems to spread out hang around a few seconds longer than with just a sponge/soap bucket. And if I want more lubrication on the panel, I can just squirt it and the mitt more.

At least to my thinking, it just seems that the lubrication spread over the panel is better than having soapy water trapped in the mitt, and having alot of it run out right away.

2. Yes, there is a fresh water setting. But it is not strong enough to do the first or final rinse of the car, and the sprayed water doesnt do the flood technique well either.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I find that I use slightly more soap than usual, but then its like 3oz due to how much is used in the container. Also to note is that sometimes the longevity of the wax may be compromised. However, my reason to continue is because it is just so much fun to play with
        Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

You guys left out this reason...

It looks cool..

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            You guys left out this reason...

It looks cool..
            That's the main reason I bought mine! It's fun!
            Scott

Comment

Well, without a pressure washer, it doesnt look that cool....

Comment

Wow, that DOES look like fun! The price tag, however, does not.

Comment

Looks like about $37 on Amazon with free shipping... not sure how that compares with straight from Gilmour.

Comment

Hmm..I'll check it out. My dad has a pressure washer I bought him for Christmas 3 years ago..and he hasn't taken it out of the box yet! I think I found a use for it for me.

Comment

I bought mine for 2 reasons, its fun and it allows me to add degreaser and other things if I need to dewax.

Some of those pics Mike added are foam guns but also foam lances, just a foam gun but with a pressure washer. a Bit more expensive.

Comment

I find that if my car isn't too dirty I can do a bucketless wash by using just the Gilmore and 3 wash mits. Speeds up the washing process quite a bit.

I put 5 oz of Gold Class in the sprayer, use the second to the lowest foam setting and get 2 car washes out of it.

Mike
                        Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Just to be clear, there is the Gilmour type foamgun for on the end of a hose, and then there is the Karcher type foam gun for on a pressure washer.

Two somewhat different things.

Comment

I have used both the Karcher and own a Gilmour and they are both effective to a degree...all depends on what you want to acheive. Personally I second the notion that it's just plain fun to work with and to be honest the few "detail-for-pay" side jobs I take are impressed because it just looks professional and makes more of an impact than a hose/mitt/bucket.

I use it to heavily lubricate the surface of the car first. After this soak period I rinse off the car and wash the wheels. I then use a bucket with a Grit Guard as a rinse bucket. Instead of a soap bucket I use the foam gun and mitt. I am able to spread more effective layers of soap/foam over each panel and used in combination with the mitt attack specific spots with ease. The foam lingers longer than just dunking your mitt in a bucket and I use a sweeping motion with the gun in front of my mitt to always have a lubricated surface to pass the mitt over minimizing any imparted scratches/marring to the paint.

It does use a bit more soap than the bucket method but I'm a bit excessive with the gun so your mileage may vary on that. For me it does serve a purpose and has its uses...I'm just not necessarily sure reducing worktime is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');