• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove paint overspray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove paint overspray?

Hey guys, how do you remove paint overspray on headlight lenses, tail light lenses without damaging them? Also, what about removing overspray from the weatherstripping?

Yeah, don't ask what happened, I'm upset also!

Re: How to remove paint overspray?

Do not worry We are here to help.
    Last Weekend we were painting doors at the Fire Department, and one of my friends got paint on the Chiefs truck.
    I came with clay and it took it right off.
    Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    How to Clay Bar
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Clay bar
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

So the clay bar works with the lenses? What about the weatherstripping?

Comment

I would start with this
          It's developed for Plastic Headlights
          Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit

Comment

Go with the clay, and plenty of lubrication.

As far as pin striping, is it smooth vinyl, or textured? If it is smooth, the clay should also work, just be sure to move along the stripe, not up and down over the edges.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would go with the clay. Good luck.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I clayed the Chiefs truck all over, including the headlights!!
                So it is say to use there.
                I do not think PlastX and or the Headlight Restoration would help a lot.
                Joel
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Carfire View Post
                  I clayed the Chiefs truck all over, including the headlights!!
                  So it is say to use there.
                  I do not think PlastX and or the Headlight Restoration would help a lot.
                  Thanks! Don't tell me you also used it on the windows?

Buying clay bar today. Hope it works!

Comment

Originally posted by EkS View Post
                    So the clay bar works with the lenses? What about the weatherstripping?
                    You can use detailing clay on anything that is smooth and hard, like glass, smooth plastic, stainless steel trim, chrome trim and bumpers, paint of course. As long as it's smooth and hard.

You cannot clay things like rubber weatherstripping, or vinyl and leather, tires, etc.

A couple years ago we did an extreme makeover on a 1949 Plymouth Convertible, a fairly rare car in the convertible model. The beautiful stainless steel grill had black overspray paint and other gunk on it so the owner simply removed it by claying the hard, smooth stainless steel.

Extreme Makeover - 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible

After cleaning the car, Neil Maken inspected the finish for above surface bonded contaminants.

Neil and the rest of the team all found the finish on this 1949 Plymouth Convertible had plenty of above surface bonded contaminants both on the horizontal surfaces and on the vertical panels. So we all grabbed some detailing clay from our new G1016 Smooth Surface™ Clay Kit.

The Transformation Team went into high gear and we quickly had the entire car clayed including the paint, chrome, glass and even the stainless steel trim and grill components.

In this shot you can see romulus claying the glass windshield and
                    Neil is actually claying the stainless steel trim on the fender.

Now remember, we washed this car and got it spic and span clean before claying... so the dirt you see on the clay in the pictures below was actually dirt and other contaminants that was bonded or stuck onto the surface of the paint.

The thing to remember about claying and the way it removes the kind of dirt you can often feel but you cannot see is that if you don't remove these bonded contaminants, not only do they cloud the finish hiding the beauty of the paint from your eyes, but they also interfere with the ability of a car wax to bond or adhere to the paint. This interference will reduce wax longevity and effectiveness.

Chances are very good that if your car is a daily driver and parked outside at least part of each day, then it's highly likely that your car's paint needs to be clayed.

Here's an interesting article that answers the question...

How often do I need to clay my car?

And the Transformation Team!

I forget who the young man on the left is, but next to him in the white sweatshirt is fatchance, then Mike Stoops before he came to work for Meguiar's, followed by Paul aka the other pc, next to Paul is romulus, then Octaneguy and then the owner, Neil Maken.

That was a fun car to work on!

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow, well it looks like I have all the hard surfaces of the car covered. Now is there some trick for the weatherstripping?

Now I can't wait to do the whole car. I didn't know the claybar could work on any hard surface. Thanks!

Comment

Wow, well it looks like I have all the hard surfaces of the car covered. Now is there some trick for the weatherstripping?
                        M39 might work on the weatherstripping.
                        AeroCleanse, LLC
                        Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                        www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Goo Gone?
                          Goof Off?

Weatherstripping is going to probably be difficult, cut up some little pieces of terry cloth towel and start experimenting with different cleaners/chemicals till you find something that will wipe the overspray off without hurting the rubber.

Maybe share back here what you find out works the best.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well I wanted to try acetone, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find a piece of rubber that's similar first before I try it on my car.

I'll keep you guys updated on the removal of the overspray on the lenses. Thanks again!

Comment

Well I wanted to try acetone, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find a piece of rubber that's similar first before I try it on my car.

I'll keep you guys updated on the removal of the overspray on the lenses. Thanks again!
                              Acetone is a pretty aggressive first step, it's actually pretty strong as far as off the shelf solvents you can buy.

If you go with this first be sure to wear safety gloves you don't want that soaking into your skin and also safety glasses. Test in a small area it won't bother you if there's damage.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');