• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing wax from previous detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing wax from previous detailing

hello there...i want to ask about removing your wax from your car from previous waxing, i read several thread before they began preping the car like claying, u must removing the wax thats already on the car, what the purpose of that procces?

when i want to detail my car i never removing the previous wax, is it make a big difference in last result of the finish...thx for all the answer

ps:my english really2 bad i hope u'll understand

Re: removing wax from previous detailing

Wash with Dawn
    Prep-sol wipe down
    IPA wipe down

Any of these work.

Comment

oh..i've got IPA on my cabinet....
      but what for that we romove the wax, is it only we want to make sure there is nothing on the finish? or else?

Comment

A few passes with IPA will remove the wax.

Fastest way is a heavy Dawn foam bath.

Comment

I've never seen a reason to remove the old wax. If your polishing that will take it off anyway.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

usually claying removes old wax.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I know what you are saying - If I am shaving the clear down with an abrasive, why worry about removing the little bit of wax?

I've always had a better polishing experience when working with a stripped surface. Pad just passes over the surface smoother from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                usually claying removes old wax.
                Glad you said that. I used to post on another forum where 90% of the population was obsessed with claying their car. They were somehow convinces it was the holy grail of detailing.

There had to be 560 posts titled: "I'm going to clay my car this week". They were under the impression it removed swirls, cleaned the surface, added shine, added protection, and repaired scratches.

I guess the 560 posters never made it to the auto parts store that weekend to buy the clay.

Comment

Originally posted by jdoria View Post
                  Glad you said that. I used to post on another forum where 90% of the population was obsessed with claying their car. They were somehow convinces it was the holy grail of detailing.

There had to be 560 posts titled: "I'm going to clay my car this week". They were under the impression it removed swirls, cleaned the surface, added shine, added protection, and repaired scratches.

I guess the 560 posters never made it to the auto parts store that weekend to buy the clay.
                  they must have had a lot of misconceptions about clay.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by yga View Post
                    hello there...i want to ask about removing your wax from your car from previous waxing, i read several thread before they began preping the car like claying, u must removing the wax thats already on the car, what the purpose of that procces?

when i want to detail my car i never removing the previous wax, is it make a big difference in last result of the finish...thx for all the answer

ps:my english really2 bad i hope u'll understand
                    Why bother removing old wax? It doesn't go bad or turn colors.
                    Art Layton
                    2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

I wouild give the vehicle a good claying.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Claying removes stuff on the surface only, including wax.
                        It doesn't go into the paint like a compound.

If you car has surface contaminates.
                        Rub your hand on it, if it makes noise or is ruff your have surface contaminates
                        Anything less than smooth, is contaminated

You don't need to remove the wax before you wax, polish or when rubbing out your paint. That will happen when you rub it or clay it.
                        If your paint is clean enough for you, then just wax it.

There's really no need to remove old wax

What kind of products do you have or can get?

Comment

Originally posted by jdoria View Post
                          Wash with Dawn
                          Prep-sol wipe down
                          IPA wipe down

Any of these work.
                          Using Dawn is a no-no! Keep it in the kitchen for washing dishes.

Mike Phillips wrote about dish detergents somewhere on MOL, but I cannot find the post or the thread. Basically, Dawn is a very high alkaline detergent. You run the risk of drying out rubber trim and seals if you use it. It's also not good for the paint either, as it could dry out the paint over time. This is the sum of it.

Do a search on MOL and type in "dish detergent" and you will find a host of information about the use of dish soap.

Claying a vehicle is safer and ample.

Comment

Just seen that
                            DON'T USE DISH SOAP!

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                              Claying removes stuff on the surface only, including wax.
                              It doesn't go into the paint like a compound.

If you car has surface contaminates.
                              Rub your hand on it, if it makes noise or is ruff your have surface contaminates
                              Anything less than smooth, is contaminated

You don't need to remove the wax before you wax, polish or when rubbing out your paint. That will happen when you rub it or clay it.
                              If your paint is clean enough for you, then just wax it.

There's really no need to remove old wax

What kind of products do you have or can get?
                              i have a clay on my detailing tool and a bottle of IPA, i think i'm gonna use that...
                              when i want to do a full detail on my car i ussually clay my car first, an d i know it removes any contaminant on the finish including wax.
                              but i'm just curious, when i read in a forum, someone's post they remove the wax when washing the car and then claying the car, doesn't that to much waste of a time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');