• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake Oil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Oil???

I purchased my 2008 Mustang Bullitt this past June. I was 'arm twisted' into having a product called XZILON applied to the outside and inside of my car. I was told this product would protect all surfaces from scratches, water spots, etc. on the outside and any marring, cracking, or damage from any substance spilled or the sun on the inside. I was told NOT to use any wax or any other car care products on or in the car. I was told to use the micro-fibre cloths and water only to clean both outside and inside of car.

I have used bottled water in a spray bottle and the micro fibre cloths only. However, I now have a car covered with tennie tiny scratches from the cloths. I also can't seem to get the windows clean.

Sooooooo....What do you know of this product, XZILON? I am attending the Car Care Class on this coming Saturday. (Hurray!) Just thought I'd ask ahead of time. Ripped off on the XZILION?

Thank You!

Re: Snake Oil???

Originally posted by fastsleeper View Post
    I purchased my 2008 Mustang Bullitt this past June. I was 'arm twisted' into having a product called XZILON applied to the outside and inside of my car. I was told this product would protect all surfaces from scratches, water spots, etc. on the outside and any marring, cracking, or damage from any substance spilled or the sun on the inside. I was told NOT to use any wax or any other car care products on or in the car. I was told to use the micro-fibre cloths and water only to clean both outside and inside of car.

I have used bottled water in a spray bottle and the micro fibre cloths only. However, I now have a car covered with tennie tiny scratches from the cloths. I also can't seem to get the windows clean.

Sooooooo....What do you know of this product, XZILON? I am attending the Car Care Class on this coming Saturday. (Hurray!) Just thought I'd ask ahead of time. Ripped off on the XZILION?

Thank You!
    Products like Xzilon and 5 Star are profit margin boosters for dealerships. It basically is a coating the put on your car which does have pretty good durability but not 5 years like they claim. My uncle has terrible arthritis in his hands and he had Xzilon put on his car for free by a Xzilon rep he knows. While I think I could have made his car look better with regular detailing, I will give him credit, after four years his car does look better than 90% of the four year old cars on the road today. Still, I would prefer to take my car to a better look with traditional polishing.

Comment

Oh, I am having trouble believing that Xzilon or any of the others will protect against scratches and marring. The next time I see my uncle's car, I will see if the paint is swirled.

Also, should you have decide to polish the paint, you may want to ask a paint shop or a body shop how to remove the Xzilon. I am told polishing cars with Xzilon on them is a real pain in the butt and wears out your buffing pads pretty quickly. Just what I have heard.

Comment

Is your grandfather's car parked outside all the time and driven often or parked in the garage most of the time and not driven as often as the average daily driver?

Just curious because for example my Grandma an Grandpa were retired and both their cars were always garage kept and since they didn't work they hardly ever drove anywhere.

In a situation like I described above any wax would last a long time and look great.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Is your grandfather's car parked outside all the time and driven often or parked in the garage most of the time and not driven as often as the average daily driver?

Just curious because for example my Grandma an Grandpa were retired and both their cars were always garage kept and since they didn't work they hardly ever drove anywhere.

In a situation like I described above any wax would last a long time and look great.

Make sense?

Yes that does make sense. I would say the answer lies somewhere in between. The car is garaged when not driven but is driven almost as much as a daily driver if that makes sense.

Comment

We practice a rule on this forum that states,

Forum Rules

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

So lets keep this discussion on the "idea" of paint sealants, and not any specific name brand.

It's pretty simple really, if a car is a daily driver that is touched in some way, (washed, wiped, etc.), then nothing will last forever and the paint will still become damaged over time.

If the car is always left in a garage with a soft car cover on it then most waxes will last a long time and no damage, i.e. swirls and scratches will be instilled.

As for dealer applied paint sealants go, as already pointed out, these are "Profit Add-ons" that help the dealership to increase the profit made on a sale with little or no investment.

If there truly is a miracle sealant that protects against damage to the paint, why wouldn't the handful of paint companies offer this in their paint systems they provide to the car manufactures or at least as an add-on, or why doesn't the car manufacture add this to the paint as the car travels down the assembly line after being painted?

There's no such thing as a miracle wax. The Internet has reduced the profitability in the sales of new cars and so as a result, to make-up for this loss in profits based upon the selling price of the car other means must be focused on including selling customers paint sealants.

Get your warranty or whatever came with the paint sealant and read all the fine print, see if anywhere in it you can bring the car back to restore the show room new finish they promised the product would preserve.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

So sorry to hear of this
              I can only say live and learn
              But here on MOL you can learn from others.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate your help! I know little to nothing about paint sealant, or really much of anything on proper care of vehicles. (Sorry, I meant no disrespect to the company to which I referred.) I will check the paperwork that was given to me at time of purchase as you have suggested.

She is not garaged but I do cover her when not in use. I look forward to the class on Saturday and am very excited to have a "glass" car! Thanks again to all for your feedback.
                fastsleeper

Comment

When I was buying my IS350 at the Lexus dealership, the finance manager tried to sell me their version of the super sealant you bought. He was charging $1000. Before trying to get me to buy, he went and showed me a black IS350 in their showroom which were, for some reason, lit by a whole bunch of tiny halogen lights. You would think it under those conditions (At a Lexus dealership no less!) they would have done a better job polishing the car, but all I saw under the lights were swirls everywhere! The finance manager had me feel how slick the finish was by feeling it with the back of my fingers. All I kept thinking was, "Ooooh...a waxed car with swirls..."

Did the dealership tell you if they will take care of the finish of the car? My neighbor bought a GS350 and bought the sealant stuff for "only" $300. Everytime he sees so much as one water spot on his car, he takes it to the dealership and demands the car be detailed (which they happily do because Lexus bends over backwards to make you happy.). If they're willing to take care of your detailing needs at your whim, it might not be too bad of deal.
                  Too much of a good thing is even better!

Comment

Originally posted by termigator69 View Post
                    When I was buying my IS350 at the Lexus dealership, the finance manager tried to sell me their version of the super sealant you bought. He was charging $1000. Before trying to get me to buy, he went and showed me a black IS350 in their showroom which were, for some reason, lit by a whole bunch of tiny halogen lights. You would think it under those conditions (At a Lexus dealership no less!) they would have done a better job polishing the car, but all I saw under the lights were swirls everywhere! The finance manager had me feel how slick the finish was by feeling it with the back of my fingers. All I kept thinking was, "Ooooh...a waxed car with swirls..."

Did the dealership tell you if they will take care of the finish of the car? My neighbor bought a GS350 and bought the sealant stuff for "only" $300. Everytime he sees so much as one water spot on his car, he takes it to the dealership and demands the car be detailed (which they happily do because Lexus bends over backwards to make you happy.). If they're willing to take care of your detailing needs at your whim, it might not be too bad of deal.
                    Thanks for your response. Yes, I am going to speak to the dealer. They promised 5 years worth of impeccable finish on my car and in my car. As long as I use bottled water there are no water spots but if the car meets with water from a sprinkler, or such, then there are most definitely spots. boohoo

I hope to have this issue settled before coming up on Saturday. I LOVE detailing my car. The engine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                      So sorry to hear of this
                      I can only say live and learn
                      But here on MOL you can learn from others.
                      Thank you so much. Dealers do know when to swoop in and sell extra 'stuff' all around because the buyer is 'hot' with excitement and generally not knowing what the heck they are offering you but it anyway for the sake of the new Baby. Lesson learned albeit the hard, expensive way. I am very happy to have found this site and I dearly appreciate everyone's input.

fastsleeper

Comment

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am going to speak to the dealer. They promised 5 years worth of impeccable finish on my car and in my car. As long as I use bottled water there are no water spots but if the car meets with water from a sprinkler, or such, then there are most definitely spots. boohoo

I hope to have this issue settled before coming up on Saturday. I LOVE detailing my car. The engine too.
                        There you go. If they promised 5 years of "impeccable finish", then make them live up to their promise.

Comment

Oh yeah. I just had the class at Autogeek last week. You're going to love it. I had a great time and it was also really nice to meet some fellow detailing enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by termigator69 View Post
                            I generally wouldn't trust a delearship to handle my detailing, even a Lexus dealer.

Comment

I don't let mine touch the exterior of my car. Vacuum yes, wash no.
                              ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');