• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, rock chip on brand new BLACK car on hood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help, rock chip on brand new BLACK car on hood!

Well I just got done doing four chips, three of them didn't hold the paint. This hood was just painted and I didn't clean out the chips, so clean out the chip holes. I'm getting it repainted anyways so I don't really care. But I just learned to something.

Comment

Comment

if i have a paint chip on a lower body panel then i will use the touch up paint but if its anywhere else i try and do the best job possible. I have bought mudflaps and a bug shield to try and prevent chips, but they still happen once in a while. I guess you just to have to live with them.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Im wondering, what if .. I get the tape as close as possible on all sides around the little gash I have. I then, apply touchup paint using a toothpick and let it seep into the hole, then, I take say a rubber squegee thing and run it along tape surface. This will flatten any extra paint flush with tape. I realize at this point the height of the touchup paint is same as tape....so, when it finally drys it should be lower...closer to height of original paint? Think this will work?

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
            Im wondering, what if .. I get the tape as close as possible on all sides around the little gash I have. I then, apply touchup paint using a toothpick and let it seep into the hole, then, I take say a rubber squegee thing and run it along tape surface. This will flatten any extra paint flush with tape. I realize at this point the height of the touchup paint is same as tape....so, when it finally drys it should be lower...closer to height of original paint? Think this will work?
            Sound good. and if you ever use compound on your car you'll ware it down more.

Comment

Mario, your posts are always a pleasure to read..so informative. You've given me some great ideas regarding sanding out scratches, although I'm still too much of a wimp to try it out yet.

I got a kick out of the painter's tape pics .

This thread was cool...Gentarken, you have to let us know how you make out with the rock chip!

Comment

Hey, thanks My!
                I enjoy telling of my travels to anyone who will listen.
                I've learned alot by just trial and error, thanks to the great guys here less error and more learning.
                I love taking pics! Glad to know you can see the humor!
                I have a few I'm working on now so stay tuned!
                Same Bat Channel!
                Same Bat Time!

Comment

yeah, Im not sure what method I will ultimately end up using. I like my tape idea, but not sure if it will work...hrm.... if the mound is higher than tape...can I sand the thing down to tape level?

Thanks for the pix mario =) lol

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                    Well I just got done doing four chips, three of them didn't hold the paint.
                    Just to clarify, do you mean the touch-up paint pulled out of the chip as you were working on it?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This may be a option for you. A few years back we purchased a new Cadillac. When we noticed our first chip in the paint, I went to the dealership. They brought the car to the bodyshop. The painter prepped and filled the chip.

The best part was there was no charge.

Maybe since it is a brand new car your dealer will want to spread some good will and take care of it for you?

Either way good luck.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        Just to clarify, do you mean the touch-up paint pulled out of the chip as you were working on it?

Yes. since this hood was recently painted and I haven't done anything to it I assume they were clean. Never assume anything

Comment

Thanks for the tip ja michaels....but I really dont know if we wanna do that, I dont trust the dealer we bought it from enough as it is. Im kinda upset about the deal and they really tried to push the paint protection plan on us. Im glad we declined it first and then researched it and then declined it again rofl...cuz they kept tryin to get us with it. Anyways, they would probably just laugh at us now and be like ahahaha told you to get the paint protection plan that wouldnt have happened... LOL Anyways, I dont know...I still havent decided if gonna try to do anything with it or just let it be. I almost wish there was like black wax, I could just run over the hole and it would fill it temporarily. lol since the QD is whitish...it like left white residue in hole and its more noticeable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
                            Yes.
                            You just vindicated every time I've posted that when working with touch-up paint, especially rubbing on it hard by hand or with a rotary buffer, often times you'll pull the paint right out of the chipped area.

This is why I'm always telling people you can make touch-up paint as complicated as you want but at the end of the day sometimes, in fact for most people, most times it's better to dab a little touch-up paint into the chipped area and walk away... move on to something else in life.

It's hard to do touch-up work and make it look like you never did touch-up work. It can be done, but it's a long process and you have to know what you're doing. Most people don't have the skills and experience, let alone the time and the patience to do flawless, expert touch-up paint work on their car and more often than not, the more they work on an area, the worse looking it will become.

Invest in a fine tipped artist paint brush from an art supply store or a crafts supply store, dab a tiny tiny tiny amount of matching colored touch-up paint into the chipped area and walk away...

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
                              I still havent decided if gonna try to do anything with it or just let it be.
                              You should do something.
                              Just waxing it will protect it from cracking and spreading.
                              Even touch up paint without cleaning it is better than nothing.
                              Please do something, not doing anything is just wrong.

Comment

To make it less noticeable until you figure out what you're going to do, touch it up using a permanent ink, black Sharpie Marker.

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');