• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, rock chip on brand new BLACK car on hood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, rock chip on brand new BLACK car on hood!

Just want to say again, thanks for all your help guys. I do come with a upsetting question though =( Our new car has its first rock chip or something in it, not sure what caused it eitherway. Its on the hood, the size is about 1/3rd an inch by 1/16th of an inch. I dont know if its through the primer but can see white , thats how deep it went. So, Im wondering what do you recommend to try and make this black again? I was reading on the forums, and looks like...toothpick or a fine tip paint brush from a hobby store? using factory touch up paint? I really dont want to sand a brand new car either =/ Let me know what you all think would be best, thanks.

Re: Help, rock chip on brand new BLACK car on hood!

Well your ideas will work
    Just tape all around the chip were your going to paint
    Also wet sanding is not that big of a deal
    If you want it to disappear you'll have to wet sand
    You can do a small area and buff it out by hand using M105, but I recommend a wool pad and rotary to get the job done in a second.

Comment

Click the link below and it will take you to a list of threads all tagged with the words Rock Chip or Touch-up Paint and in these threads the remedies for rock chips is pretty much all covered.

Most people want to make a rock chip look like there was never a rock chip in the paint through their touch-up paint process and in order to do this it gets pretty complicated and usually involves sanding, and compounding and that's where it gets complicated.

Anyway, this is all discussed in one or more of the threads linked to above.

If you want to keep it simple, clean the chip as best as possible and then apply only a tiny amount of touch-up paint using something with a fine tip, not the brush built into the lid as it's usually too large for most chips and you end up with blobs of touch-up paint.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Maserati Mario View Post
        Well your ideas will work
        Just tape all around the chip were your going to paint
        Also wet sanding is not that big of a deal
        If you want it to disappear you'll have to wet sand
        You can do a small area and buff it out by hand using M105, but I recommend a wool pad and rotary to get the job done in a second.
        Thanks for the tips, yeah I dont want to wet sand at all really. So, when taping around it what type of tape do I use? Also, do I tape up to the very border of the rock chip? this helps to keep the touchup paint from spreading to the good paint right?

Comment

3M painters tape
          Blue- 14 day tape- works fine
          Green- 3day very stickier and more durable- you don't need this strength

Comment

awesome, where can this be found?

Comment

any were
              Home De Pot
              Lowes
              Ace
              Ralphs
              Vons
              CVS

Comment

Thanks and ... Im wondering the surface is waxed and clayed.. what should I use to clean it off? Before trying all this?

Comment

I use Lacquer thinner
                  heres my post
                  (Chips + Scratches) Touch up paint = Wet Sanding

Comment

I have tried the touch-up paint routine with rock chips, and it always seems to look worse. Just a caution.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Can I put tape around the hole, and apply lacquer thinner into just the hole itself? Then, what I wipe it out then apply the paint?

Comment

My method to avoid sanding is:

1. A little sandpaper to clean out the hole, and loose paint edges.
                        2. Dab in dealer touch-up paint with a toothpick.
                        3. Let dry for 20 minutes or so.
                        4. Add another couple dabs if needed.
                        5. Repeat as needed.

Just try to coat the hole, not blob it up.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Some people have had good luck with the Langka Repair Kit, others with Dr Color Chip. I do not have experience with either system. As Mike would say, "Buy it and take one for the team."
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
                            Can I put tape around the hole, and apply lacquer thinner into just the hole itself? Then, what I wipe it out then apply the paint?
                            Yes, get the 3M Green 3day tape. Press hard, it's pressure sensitive, to get a good seal around the area. Use a Cotton Swab, Qtip and a little Lacquer thinner, and do it 5 times or more, until you can see it removing the paint, that's how you can tell your through the wax and dirt. Let it dry DAB the paint into the hole, Don't brush! Dab, just a little, let dry for a few hours check and if you want dab a bit more. Make sure you cover the hole to prevent cracks that will make te paint dab come out in the near future.

Comment

Here ya go

I'm doing my chips right now with this Uni Grit I'll post in a few hours

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');