• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G-100 Can't burn the paint?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-100 Can't burn the paint?!?!

Read this in a post by meguiars actually. (Mike Philips)..Is this true? My main fear was that I would indeed burn the paint. Thx!!!!

Hi there,

I had the same reservations about the PC as you. After using one all summer I'd say it's highly unlikely to burn paint. Not impossible but highly unlikely. I still am cautious around edges, corners and the like.

Comment

Re: G-100 Can't burn the paint?!?!

Originally posted by z400
      Read this in a post by Meguiar's actually. (Mike Philips)..Is this true? My main fear was that I would indeed burn the paint. Thx!!!!
      The G-100, (or PC as it is also called), can't really burn paint in the way a rotary buffer can burn paint because by the time you push down hard enough on the polisher to heat up the surface and burn or melt the paint, the motor will have stopped rotating and won't typically even be oscillating, or jiggling any longer thus halting the movement of the foam pad against the finish.

That's not to say you can't go through paint with the polisher, because you can do this even with your little old hands if the paint is very thin. That's the key here, thin paint.

If you're working on a new car, or a car that has been well taken care of and another owner before you or a detailer or body shop technician hasn't compound the car excessively, then you should be okay. If your working on a factory finish that is still intact, that is it hasn't' been over buffed then it's going to be pretty hard to hurt it with the G-100 and the most aggressive product we recommend with is the W-8006 polishing pad and the #83 DACP.

That said, I've worked on some thin paints before that I wouldn't use any kind of machine on as I could tell that the paint was thin.

Common sense and knowing a little bit about the history of your car's finish will go a long way to preventing any mistakes.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
        Hi there,

I had the same reservations about the PC as you. After using one all summer I'd say it's highly unlikely to burn paint. Not impossible but highly unlikely. I still am cautious around edges, corners and the like.
        This is excellent advise too, and it also applies to working with a rotary buffer, an orbital buffer and yes... even your hands.

Paint is generally the thinnest on edges, high points, body lines and seams, etc. Avoid these area, buff up to them, but not on them, or tape them off.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Thank you very much! I appreciate the FAST response!

Think i'll be ordering one now. Hope the special comes around again! I've got a big car to detail.

Scurb,

Thanks for the tip as well!

Comment

Hey

The G-100 is very safe when used with common sense. As Mike pointed out, it will not burn paint like a rotary can do, but it can if used carelessly, remove paint.

Trust me, you will love it!!!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');