• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature to wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature to wax

What is the appropiate temperature to wax? I will be using Meguiars #16..

Re: Temperature to wax

You don't want to go below 55 degrees. The product will have difficulties adhering and setting up, and will probably streak and smear on you.
    Rick McDonough
    Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
    Meguiar's Inc.
    1.800.854.8073 * 3853
    rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick McDonough View Post
      You don't want to go below 55 degrees. The product will have difficulties adhering and setting up, and will probably streak and smear on you.
      Oh, what do you know
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Check this thread out,

What temperature ranges are best for applying cleaners, polishes, and waxes

M16 applies okay to a cold car, it will dry just a little slower than normal in cold weather and when it fully dries and sets up in cold weather it will be rock hard.

So be very careful to only apply a thin coating to the paint.

If you've never used M16 before, try only applying wax to about a one foot squared section and letting it fully dry and then wiping it off and make sure everything is working for you. Too thick of a coating can be a real bear to wipe off.

Serious.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Getting the wax out of the can

You want to use a 4" applicator pad like our X3070 foam applicator pad, or any foam pad like it or a quality cotton or microfiber applicator pad.

X3070 Soft Foam Applicator pads

Small thin, round pads work best.

Take the pad and spin in on the top of the wax in the can, focus small circular motion on the outer portion of the wax and do this briskly. At the same time you want to spin the can with your other hand.

This acts to enable you to liquefy the wax enough in the can to allow the wax to seep onto and into your applicator pad. It also helps you to take the down the wax in the can in a level manner not a cone shape. Not a big deal but a technique that worked for me for years.

This works for most paste waxes if they're in a can at least as big as the Meguiar's can.

The important thing to avoid is scooping the wax out of the can as this just results in a big hunk of wax on your pad. It's hard to spread out a hunk of wax and tend to lead towards thick coats that are hard to remove.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I would wax at 50F, but that is just me. The trick with #16, if you haven't used it before, is go real, real thin. It is all you need. It is fantastic stuff.
            I did my car in October??? and except for a few pressure washes at the dollar wash, only detail washed my car for the first time last weekend. It STILL beads. Have pictures in my camera and will post when I get a moment.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.. I live in Michigan and have a few cars lined up for detail. This weekend will be around 60 so I was hoping to knock them out. I have used M16 since I was 16, a tradition/secret I guess you could say that my dad passed to me because it is all he has used his whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by Detailz View Post

I have used M16 since I was 16, a tradition/secret I guess you could say that my dad passed to me because it is all he has used his whole life.
                Interesting. Did the paint always look great and last a long time?

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Being that it has been all that I have known I really don't have a lot to compare it to but the finish after it's done is amazing. Does that help? If you have other suggestions I am all ears.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');