• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using edge of the pad with PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using edge of the pad with PC

Hi,i got my PC and after a few areas im knoticing that the larger main areas are getting polished real good but not the outter parts towards the trimming etc. Im keeping the pad flush with the surface..but can it be tilted to put more pressure on the outter edge of the pad to get more pressure up next to the trim ?
    John 3:16

Re: Using edge of the pad with PC

Originally posted by NVCobra
    Hi,i got my PC and after a few areas I'm noticing that the larger main areas are getting polished real good but not the outer parts towards the trimming etc. I'm keeping the pad flush with the surface..but can it be tilted to put more pressure on the outer edge of the pad to get more pressure up next to the trim ?
    What are you trying to accomplish in these areas with the dual action polisher?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike, im trying to get the same gloss up close to trimming and other areas that the main part of the pad is not is not getting to.

Comment

Sorta like trying to mop in the "corners" as well as the main part of the floor. My paint was so dull that the PC'd areas look some much better that the dull areas stand out real bad..

Comment

Originally posted by NVCobra
          Hi Mike, I'm trying to get the same gloss up close to trimming and other areas that the main part of the pad is not is not getting to.
          This is what I suspected...

The reason the dual action polisher isn't effected at the edge has to do with the backing plate. If you're using a 5" backing plate, (Meguiar's has a 5" diameter) on a Meguiar's small foam polishing pad which has about a 6.5" diameter, you have between 3/4 of an inch to one inch of foam around the outside edge with no backing plate exerting pressure directly against it. So when you push down on the foam pad, the foam b[]gives[/b] or flexes back making it difficult to exert pressure.

This is actually a safety feature in that it prevents you from exerting too much pressure on the edge. Also, because the backing plate is a little smaller diameter than the foam pad, it prevents you from gouging the backing plate into your car's paint.

Here's a suggestion, for these hard to polish by machine areas, use ScratchX by hand to clean and polish the paint to match the gloss created by the dual action polisher on the larger panel surfaces.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok great , thanks Mike as usual

Comment

Can I ask if masking the trim and then overlapping the PC over the masked area would help solve this? I have a new MINI cooper S with plenty of trim and this could be a problem for me too when I finally get a chance to take my PC out the box
              Dingdangdoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Wul
                Can I ask if masking the trim and then overlapping the PC over the masked area would help solve this? I have a new MINI cooper S with plenty of trim and this could be a problem for me too when I finally get a chance to take my PC out the box
                Hi Wul,

Welcome to Meguiar's online!

Read through this thread and you'll see how we prepped Mini Coopers for this event... I think we buffed out 16 Mini Coopers on this day...

Mini Coopers at Meguiar's NXT Garage!

Here's Brian helping another member tape their car off,

Head to any Lowe's hardware store and pick up some Blue Painters tape. It works great!

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Cheers Mike - will have a good read through that!

Here in the UK we only get the white paper type masking tape - is the blue painters tape any different?

Dingdangdoo!

Comment

Well, I'm going to guess that by the term/words, white tape you mean normal masking tape and if this is the case then yes there is a lot of difference.

Real painters tape uses an adhesive that is not as sticky as regular masking tape so that you can remove the tape without removing the paint it is placed on or leaving behind a sticky, adhesive mess...

It's definitely worth it if you can find it...

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for that - will take a trip to my local B&Q (DIY store) and see what I can find - the 3M website lists the blue tape as being available in the UK now.

Cheers
                      Dingdangdoo!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');