• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Deciding: PC 7424 or Meguiars G110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Deciding: PC 7424 or Meguiars G110

In the past week I have been trying to read up on everything about the different machine polishers. At first I thought for sure I would be going with the 7424 because it seemed like thats what everyone was talking about getting. But now that ive been researching I am only more confused on which one is the better choice.

Ive heard that the g110 is more powerful and the 7424 will tend to bog down when using the larger 6" pads when applying pressure but then ive also read that people dont have any problems with the 7424 bogging down..

Anyway, ive found two different kits, both kits are $199 on autogeek and it looks like the only real difference is that one has the g110 and the other has the 7424.

Here is what comes with each kit:

PC 7424 Kit includes:
    Porter Cable 7424
    5 Inch Backing Plate
    2-CCS White 6.5 Inch Polishing Foam Pads
    2-CCS Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pads
    1-CCS Blue 6.5 Inch Finessing Foam Pad
    2 Cobra Arctic White Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
    12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
    12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
    1 Flat Wrench & 1 Counterweight
    2 FREE CCS 5 1/4 Inch Orange Pads

G110 Kit includes:
    Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110
    4.75 inch backing plate
    Hard Plastic Carrying Case
    2-CCS White 6.5 Inch Polishing Foam Pads
    2-CCS Gray 6.5 Inch Finishing Foam Pad
    1-CCS Blue 6.5 Inch Finessing Foam Pad
    2 Cobra White Edgeless Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
    12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
    2 FREE Lake Country CCS Blue Finessing 6.5 inch Foam Pads
    12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner

The only difference im seeing is the free bonus items.. the g110 comes with 2 extra blue pads vs the 7424 coming with 2 orange pads..

One other difference is that the 7424 comes with a counterweight.. does the g110 include a counterweight already or does it not need one to reduce vibrations?

Anyway.. i realize these forums might be a little biased toward the g110 so if anyway could just tell me what exactly are the differences between the g110 and pc 7424.. thanks

Re: Need Help Deciding: PC 7424 or Meguiars G110

Originally posted by Lanc1988 View Post

Anyway.. i realize these forums might be a little biased toward the g110 so if anyway could just tell me what exactly are the differences between the g110 and pc 7424..

thanks
    Check out this thread,

Dual Action Polisher Comparison Chart

The thread is a little over a year old and I think the UDM is now made by Porter Cable, if that's the case then in this category of product in this price range you are down to either the PC or the G110.

Anyone that knows of anything different other than what I posted above please chime in and provide the correction.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Lanc I'm biased towards Meguiar's because it works well not because I'm on this forum... I would say get the G110 and get the Lake Country 5.5" CCS pads from autogeek.net... can't beat that combo for finishing and correction... I would personally recommend staying away from kits, unless you can put one together yourself based on a lot of research... main reason is you just don't need some of the stuff and you'll be replacing it anyway...

For example, you don't need the XMT pad cleaner or conditioner, and neither do you need the extra blue finessing foam pads

Here's what I suggest for everyone starting out..

autodetailingsolutions.net:
      G110 ($150... comes with duffle bag, 1 finishing/polishing pad, backing plate and M205 polish, which is very good from what I've heard)
      m/f towels (12 for $10... some of the best I've tried)
      TOTAL: $160+ s&h

autogeek.net: (5.5" pads)
      3-ccs orange pads 5.5" $20
      3-ccs white pads 5.5" $20
      1-ccs black pad 5.5" $8
      TOTAL: $48 + s&h

so roughly $220-230 and now you have allthe pad you'll need to polish/maintain 1 car... you just need to buy some more polishes, and a wax/sealant
      Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
      Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

thanks for the information.. after looking at that post it does seem that the g110 is the better machine then in terms of power.

so my other question is about the counterweight.. do I need to buy one to reduce any vibrations or is it built into the g110? also if there is anything else anyone would like to mention about any differences between the 7424 and g110 that would make it easier for me to decide.

Comment

so my other question is about the counterweight.. do I need to buy one to reduce any vibrations or is it built into the g110?
          This threads a few years old but I'm pretty confident it's still accurate...

The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

also if there is anything else anyone would like to mention about any differences between the 7424 and g110 that would make it easier for me to decide.
          What are you working on?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i will mainly be using it on our family cars.. i would expect to just be using it to remove light swirls and scratches.. nothing too serious and to apply waxes.

Ive read that thread on counterweight controversy before.. isn't it just about a 5" and 6" counterweight.. what i was wanting to know is if the G110 includes any counterweight or not.

for what ivopivo posted, that does make sense about not necessarily needing everything in a kit.. however i would prefer to buy everything from autogeek since i can get free shipping and some other discounts.. so would this kit be comparable to the kit on ADS? :
            Autogeek is your number one car care source for auto detailing supplies, the best car wax, car care products, car polishes, auto accessories, polishers, and car detailing tools store.

It comes with:
            Meguiars G110 Dual Action Polisher
            Meguiars G110 Plastic Carrying Case
            Meguiars G110 4.75 Inch Hook and Loop Backing Plate
            Meguiars G110 Polisher Wrench
            16 oz. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (ASR)
            16 oz. Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (AFP)
            CCS 6.5 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
            CCS 6.5 inch Gray Finishing Pad
            2 FREE Lake Country CCS Blue Finessing 6.5 inch Foam Pads

and then I can get the 3 pack of the 5" orange pads and the mf towels from them..

which leads me to one other question: people have been recommended I get the 5" pads instead of 6" since they work better, but when you say work better are you referring to polishing or just overall? because I would think the 6" blue and gray pads would work just fine for applying waxes and then having a couple 5" orange pads would be fine to apply polishes, right?

Comment

So my other question is about the counterweight.. do I need to buy one to reduce any vibrations or is it built into the g110?

Just to add...
              The G110 uses a different counterweight than the G100, 7424, 7336, 7335.

Either way, you don't need to worry about the counterweight.
              Chris
              Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

ok.. based on what everyone has said so far i have put together the following kit from autogeek:

Meguiars G110 (Free bonus of 2 Lake Country CCS Blue Finessing 6.5" Foam Pads)
                3 Orange Light 5.5" pads
                3 White 5.5" pads
                3 Gray 5.5" pads

and the total cost will be $199.96

the only thing im unsure of is if I should get the 3 gray pads or just get 1 gray pad and get something else with that $12.. I want to get some sort of a polish but im not exactly sure what to get since there are so many.. I want something that isn't very abrasive and will only take off very minor scratches and swirls without removing hardly any paint.. I was thinking maybe SwirlX but im not sure if that is more abrasive than im looking for.

Comment

From someone that has both units, get the G110. It does have a bit more torque, and that helps with defect removal.

Just my $0.02

Nick
                  2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                  2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

ok.. based on what everyone has said so far i have put together the following kit from autogeek:

3 Orange Light 5.5" pads
                    3 White 5.5" pads
                    3 Gray 5.5" pads

the only thing im unsure of is if I should get the 3 gray pads or just get 1 gray pad and get something else with that $12.. I want to get some sort of a polish but im not exactly sure what to get since there are so many.. I want something that isn't very abrasive and will only take off very minor scratches and swirls without removing hardly any paint.. I was thinking maybe SwirlX but im not sure if that is more abrasive than im looking for.
                    Good choice... forget the 3 black pads as you'll only need 1 (probably get rid of the 2 orange pads two and just go with 1) and get a bottle of M80 to start off with... takes care of defects fairly well with orange and/or white pads and finishes down great with white and black. You won't be disappointed.
                    Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

3 Orange Light 5.5" pads
                      3 White 5.5" pads
                      3 Gray 5.5" pads

Originally posted by ivopivo View Post
                      Good choice... forget the 3 black pads as you'll only need 1 (probably get rid of the 2 orange pads two and just go with 1) and get a bottle of M80 to start off with... takes care of defects fairly well with orange and/or white pads and finishes down great with white and black. You won't be disappointed.
                      I'm getting ready to order a G110 and was wondering which size is better... The 6.5in or the 5.5in.

Also, why the suggestions with going with just one of each pad? I will be working on 3 cars total. 2 cars which belong to my sister occasionally and my own car mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                        From someone that has both units, get the G110. It does have a bit more torque, and that helps with defect removal.

Just my $0.02

Nick
                        Nick's right on that count...the G110 has that little bit extra "oomph" needed for some correction. My obvious choice would be to say get the Flex because it's superior to both but if that's out of your price range then you might want to hold off a bit since the NEW Porter Cable PC7424 is due out at Autogeek in two weeks and has a stronger motor (comparable or better than the G110), a new ergonomic design, and some other minor improvements. Price range will be just above current PC7424 pricing. Do a comparison between those two before buying...

As for pad sizing choice I like the smaller pads because they provide more "bite" and add to your correction ability as well as being a better fit into some tighter body contours and size-restricted areas. I would go with at least 3 of each type of pad (light cutting/polishing) as a base and work from there. I use at least 3 of the 5.5" pads and a few 4" pads on one vehicle and that is with cleaning on the fly. As for a "finessing" or "finishing" pad you can get by with just one. I never like to have just one of any pad available. What if something happens to it? Gets lost, dirty, needs to be washed, is damaged, etc? Are you going to wait around for the UPS man to get another one?

As for the pricing I caution you to make sure you have ALL you need before tackling this project...and it'll be a LOT more than $200. Obviously you're going to wash and clay the surface first. Do you have what you need to properly wash? The buckets, grit guards, proper car shampoo, proper mitt, etc? How about clay, clay lubricant? Good microfibers? Auto tape to mask off the car while polishing? IPA wipedown in between polishing steps and inspecting work? Proper lighting (like a Brinkmann Dual Xenon) to verify your work? An LSP for after polishing has been completed?

It's far more than just ordering a kit and attacking the paint. Make sure you have everything you need to properly complete the 5-step paint care process. Do a search and you'll find all the info you need on what products are the bare minimum to complete the process and insure a beautiful, swirl-free finish.

As for the compound I'd say go M105/M205 as this will correct any defects the power of a DA can handle. Since you're looking for something less aggressive I highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as it has worked well for me and many others here and finishes LSP-ready in 99% of cases I have seen...

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                          Nick's right on that count...the G110 has that little bit extra "oomph" needed for some correction. My obvious choice would be to say get the Flex because it's superior to both but if that's out of your price range then you might want to hold off a bit since the NEW Porter Cable PC7424 is due out at Autogeek in two weeks and has a stronger motor (comparable or better than the G110), a new ergonomic design, and some other minor improvements. Price range will be just above current PC7424 pricing. Do a comparison between those two before buying...

As for pad sizing choice I like the smaller pads because they provide more "bite" and add to your correction ability as well as being a better fit into some tighter body contours and size-restricted areas. I would go with at least 3 of each type of pad (light cutting/polishing) as a base and work from there. I use at least 3 of the 5.5" pads and a few 4" pads on one vehicle and that is with cleaning on the fly. As for a "finessing" or "finishing" pad you can get by with just one. I never like to have just one of any pad available. What if something happens to it? Gets lost, dirty, needs to be washed, is damaged, etc? Are you going to wait around for the UPS man to get another one?

As for the pricing I caution you to make sure you have ALL you need before tackling this project...and it'll be a LOT more than $200. Obviously you're going to wash and clay the surface first. Do you have what you need to properly wash? The buckets, grit guards, proper car shampoo, proper mitt, etc? How about clay, clay lubricant? Good microfibers? Auto tape to mask off the car while polishing? IPA wipedown in between polishing steps and inspecting work? Proper lighting (like a Brinkmann Dual Xenon) to verify your work? An LSP for after polishing has been completed?

It's far more than just ordering a kit and attacking the paint. Make sure you have everything you need to properly complete the 5-step paint care process. Do a search and you'll find all the info you need on what products are the bare minimum to complete the process and insure a beautiful, swirl-free finish.

As for the compound I'd say go M105/M205 as this will correct any defects the power of a DA can handle. Since you're looking for something less aggressive I highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as it has worked well for me and many others here and finishes LSP-ready in 99% of cases I have seen...
                          Thanks for the response. I might wait 2 weeks then to see if the price is cheaper. The G110 is only $140... The current 7424 is $130. The NEW 7424 should cost about $140 too so the only thing that can make me go with the NEW 7424 is if they offer lifetime warranty.

I already have all the products to tackle this project other than the lighting. I already researched up on the 5-step paint care process and any other stuff but there aren't anything on the products I wanted to use. I keep seeing m80 as something that is recommended. I don't think I need something as aggressive as a compound like the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Comment

Just to note, the CSS pads have pockets built-into the face of the pad that can hold product in them, this is okay for SMAT product but not recommended for DAT products.

If you're going to use any buffing pad that does NOT have a flat surface then stick to SMAT products. DAT product should only be used with pads that have a flat surface.

What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology?

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ryukensfj View Post
                              ...I don't think I need something as aggressive as a compound like the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound...
                              If you consider Ultimate Compound "too aggressive" then there's no need for cutting pads like the LC CCS Orange Pads as they have a mechanical abrading action. In fact, as Mike mentioned, if you're going with the pocketed CCS pads (the ones I use everyday) you cannot use anything but Meguiar's SMAT products like M105/205, Ultimate Compound, etc.

You see, the diminishing abrasives in the other compounds break down so you start with a harder cut and abrading action and as the abrasives wear they cut less and less. Like two or three products in one. Heavily abrasive in the very beginning to remove the defect and then gradually diminishing and reducing cut to polish to a high gloss.

Now, the pockets in the CCS pad trap material. If the abrasives have diminished to a point where they are now jeweling the surface and the little pockets re-introduce fresh, non-diminished abrasives to the surface you will marr the paint. So please research your entire product/pad combination together (CCS pads + SMAT compounds versus non-CCS pads + Diminishing Abrasive compounds) before causing induced damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');