• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Just want to say again, thanks for all your help guys. I do come with a upsetting question though =( Our new car has its first rock chip or something in it, not sure what caused it eitherway. Its on the hood, the size is about 1/3rd an inch by 1/16th of an inch. I dont know if its through the primer but can see white , thats how deep it went. So, Im wondering what do you recommend to try and make this black again? I was reading on the forums, and looks like...toothpick or a fine tip paint brush from a hobby store? using factory touch up paint? I really dont want to sand a brand new car either =/ Let me know what you all think would be best, thanks.

Comment

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
      Just want to say again, thanks for all your help guys. I do come with a upsetting question though =( Our new car has its first rock chip or something in it, not sure what caused it eitherway.
      Maybe start a dedicated thread on rock chips?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

It's a great idea to keep a bottle of Quik Detailer in your car or truck

I learned this the hard way. I was out of town once without any quick detailers or microfibers. I stopped for lunch really quick and I never noticed all of the power lines crossing over the parking lot where my car was, and naturally, power lines=birds. I came back to my car and it was covered in bird poop. I was in an unfamiliar town and I had no idea where to find an auto parts store with quick detailers. Plus, it was in the middle of the summer and the poop was beginning to bake on the paint. So, I went to the Chevron across the street, got some paper towels , soaked them with water, and wiped the poop off. It scratched the paint, but it was still better and easier than deep etchings from the poop.

Anyways, now I always carry quik detailer and two microfibers in a big Ziploc bag in all my cars, lol.

Comment

Ah...well just completed our second washing of the new car...shes still lookin good. We used some ultimate quick detailer after the wash / dry. I am curious just how much should be used for an entire car...when all was done I think we used near half a bottle of ultimate quick detailer for entire exterior of car. This too much??? It seemed to take a long time too...2 of us took about 20mins.

Comment

Yeah, thats a lot.

You have to realize, whether it is polish, wax, or QD, that what you wipe off is excess ( cleaners are a bit different). The paint can take so much, and then the rest is wiped away and wasted.

So for something like a wax, all you want is the slightest haze on all of the paint.... that is the littlest wasted product.

Same with UQD after a wash (this is different than removing bird droppings), all you need is for your one area of towel to stay wet, and spray a little on each panel. Anything else you wipe off is excess, that is wasted.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I forgot, is it UQD or only QD that can be used on a slightly dirty area to clean it up?

Comment

Any QD can be used for that.

Comment

ok cool, cuz Im concerned about scratches and using QD to clean stuff off =/ key is not rub hard right? and pat it on paint at first?

Comment

Are you trying to do the whole car, or a bird dropping/hard water spot?

Comment

actually trying to do about a foot section that has dried up spots on it from previous, either meguiars window spray that got on paint or .. maybe dried up QD. and it has a tiny layer of dust on top.

Comment

For dedicated cleaning, that is removing light dust, fingerprints and smudges use Quik Detailer, for date night, or adding the finishing touch to the paint, use UQD or M135

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
                          actually trying to do about a foot section that has dried up spots on it from previous, either meguiars window spray that got on paint or .. maybe dried up QD. and it has a tiny layer of dust on top.
                          For that kind of thing, I would generally mist the area, mist my towel, and do a lot of dabbing.

Try spraying your glass cleaners onto the towel first (and down wind).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');