• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Ok I kinda understand that. Now, Im thinking right now that like clay bar and colorx (cleaner / wax right?) are in the same step together. But, should I really be thinking that colorx is just like a pre wax to applying NXT 2.0?
    Or should I think of it as a cleaner to apply after using clay bar? Cuz this is how Im thinkin of it right now.
    Or, should I just think of it as a step in its own?
    If you can catch my meaning =)

I guess Im afraid that the cleaner colorx stuff may eat away at the clearcoat in miniscule amounts to maintain the shine...this true or false?

Comment

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
      Awesome, now there are 3 products on NXT wax, the paste then traditional bottle then the spray bottle. Are both the bottle and spray bottle referred to as "liquid" one just being sprayed on?
      Unless you want to use a paste, stick with the liquid, NXT Tech Wax 2.0 part number G12718

The spray-on wax is for use in-between a normal wash and wax, it's more or less a booster wax for the normal coat of wax you've already applied.

Spray waxes are great if you use the right technique to apply them and the finish you're working on is in excellent condition to start with, when you're ready to try out a spray-on wax test out

Ultimate Quik Wax G17516

And read through this,

The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok I kinda understand that. Now, Im thinking right now that like clay bar and colorx (cleaner / wax right?) are in the same step together. But, should I really be thinking that colorx is just like a pre wax to applying NXT 2.0?
        Or should I think of it as a cleaner to apply after using clay bar? Cuz this is how Im thinkin of it right now.
        Or, should I just think of it as a step in its own?
        If you can catch my meaning =)

I guess Im afraid that the cleaner colorx stuff may eat away at the clearcoat in miniscule amounts to maintain the shine...this true or false?
        I think Mosca has already answered your question in his article I linked to. There's probably no right and wrong answer here. If you prefer to restrict your use of ColorX to a couple of times a year, then that's fine. Another possibility is to use it every six months and to use Cleaner Wax (a gentler product) the rest of the time. Also remember that the abrasiveness of ColorX is partially dependent on how vigorously or gently it is applied (see this thread--in this thread I also asked the question "Is it safe to use ColorX regularly?" and note Mike's answer, as well as his subsequent instruction on how to apply it).

There are lots of legitimate and safe possibilities. The important thing is to adopt a regular regimen and to stick to it.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Thanks mike, now a few questions regarding your Post, I was told on page one that quick wax can be used for inbetween my normal major wax washes. In the case of doing that, does this mean I still use a cleaner after washing my vehicle before applying quick wax? Im wondering this because...doesnt that mean my original wax layer will be taken off....?

On another thought, can I just wash / dry the car and then apply the quick wax? no problems?

On another note, does it matter what gritguard color I buy? Should it be same color as paint Im applying it too?
          Last edited by GenTarkin; Mar 26, 2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

No, you would just wash and use the spray wax.

And you can get any color Grit Guard you like...
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

K, thanks a ton guys for all your help...I will probably come up with more questions but for now I think I got it down.
              Let me go through what Ive learned so far lol.

So first, wash and dry the car using 2 buckets with gritguards or do you just mean 1 bucket but 2 times in wash? lol ok anyways so... Then dry car off.
              Feel the paint with my hands see if I notice any roughness / bumps. Look at it in light see if any swirls are there. If all is good and its smooth and swirless...then I can skip right to applying NXT 2.0 optionally I could apply a very light layer of colorx before doing NXT2.0.
              If, on the other hand I do feel bumps or notice swirls I should clay the car and then apply lightly colorx then apply my NXT 2.0.

So the above, should last about 2-3months maybe? wish washings in between and using quick wax on those washings to restore the shine.
              Once I start noticing bumps / roughness on paint after wash/dry then its time to clay again / lightly use colorx after clay then use NXT 2.0

So does the above sound about right?

Comment

K, thanks a ton guys for all your help...I will probably come up with more questions but for now I think I got it down.
                Let me go through what Ive learned so far lol.

So first, wash and dry the car using 2 buckets with grit guards or do you just mean 1 bucket but 2 times in wash? lol ok anyways so... Then dry car off.
                The 2-Bucket Method is where you use two buckets, one with soapy water and one with clear water. Start by gathering up some sudsy water and wash a panel, then before placing your wash mitt into your soapy water bucket rinse it first in the clear water bucket.

Now wring some of the water out of the mitt or there will be no room for soapy water. Dip your mitt back into the soapy water bucket and gather some more sudsy soap water and repeat.

The idea is to not introduce dirt into your soapy water bucket by depositing it in the clear water bucket. Takes longer to wash your car but less time overall because hopefully you'll put less scratches into the paint which will require a lot of time to remove as compared to the washing process.

Feel the paint with my hands see if I notice any roughness / bumps. Look at it in light see if any swirls are there.

If all is good and its smooth and swirless...then I can skip right to applying NXT 2.0 optionally I could apply a very light layer of ColorX before doing NXT2.0.
                Correct.

[quote=GenTarkin;295993]
                If, on the other hand I do feel bumps or notice swirls I should clay the car and then apply lightly ColorX then apply my NXT 2.0.
                [/quote
                You can clay and then go straight to NXT unless you see swirls and other below surface defects, in that case when you use ColorX you're basically using it as a "cleaner" to remove the defects which is a popular process.

My personal preference would be to use a dedicated products for the cleaning step like SwirlX or Ultimate Compound, etc. instead of a cleaner/wax. Both approaches will work unless the defects are deep as ColorX is limited as to how aggressively it will remove defects.

So the above, should last about 2-3months maybe? wish washings in between and using quick wax on those washings to restore the shine.
                Yes. Use a non-detergent wash.

Once I start noticing bumps / roughness on paint after wash/dry then its time to clay again / lightly use ColorX after clay then use NXT 2.0

So does the above sound about right?
                Yes.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Non detergent wash meaning? use a different washing soap then normal or something? Also, should I use grit guard in both buckets then?

Comment

A strong soap like dishsoap would be considered detergent, and it would strip the wax off the car.

Using a mild soap meant for car washing, like the Gold Class, Nxt, etc, will keep the wax safe.

At least have a Grit Guard in the rinse bucket. Having one in the soapy bucket is just extra safe.

Perhaps it would be good to watch the How to Wash a Car video akimel posted. It is fun and entertaining.

Comment

Ok cool, and let me see if I understand something correctly, once the NXT wax is on the car...the paint wont get any bonded contaminents until the wax wears off correct? So, if I am careful to not let the NXT wear off, I should hardly feel my paint getting rough?

Comment

Ok cool, and let me see if I understand something correctly, once the NXT wax is on the car...the paint wont get any bonded contaminents until the wax wears off correct? So, if I am careful to not let the NXT wear off, I should hardly feel my paint getting rough?
                        Sadly, that is not true. Contaminants will continue to bond to the surface, despite the wax. But it's nothing to worry yourself about. Just plan on claying and cleaning the surface a couple of times a year. Most importantly, wash the car once a week or once every two weeks and wax the car regularly. The majority of the MOL brethren wax their cars once a month during the non-winter months. Many of us are anxiously waiting for spring to arrive, so we can do full details of our cars--wash, clay, paint clean and polish, wax. Come April and May I expect we will be seeing lots and lots of photographs of freshly detailed vehicles.

Watch out, General. You are in serious danger of catching the detailing bug. Before long you will be saving your pennies to get a dual-action polisher.
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Yes and no... It will help a lot if you keep the car washed regularly, and use a UQD or UQW after washing. A lot of things will wash off easier. You can also use a damp paper towel over bugs, and let it sit a few minutes, to help loosen bugs without using a bug and tar remover (which would remove wax).

But it is only a microscopic coating, so some stuff that is really strong can get through.

For instance, you still do not want to let bird droppings sit, and some road tar can still stick.

Comment

Okay thanks. Also, we have both M 21 Synthetic Sealant and NXT 2.0 wax. Should we use both? CAN we use both? If so, what order?

What about if I see a couple small scratches on the vehicle in seperate spots? Should I use ScratchX on those spots? Or just leave them if the vehicle is mostly scratch free? (I'm assuming there's no need to use ScratchX on the entire vehicle)

Also, how do you wash the microfiber towels? Can you use regular laundry soap? What about drying them and would using a dryer sheet leave a film on them?

Comment

The Nxt 2.0 will be the new/improved product. #21 1.0 is the older product, more like Nxt 1.0. So if you wanted to use up the #21 you can, but I'd have Nxt 2.0 on top.

Yes, ScratchX would be good for those spots.

Yes, regular soap, gentle, no fabric softener.

Comment

Also, how do you wash the microfiber towels? Can you use regular laundry soap? What about drying them and would using a dryer sheet leave a film on them?
                                No dryer sheets!

Based on the recommendations of Leo Cerutti, here is what I do:

Wash towels as soon as possible after every use
                                HOT water
                                Tide liquid detergent
                                No bleach or fabric softener
                                Medium drier setting
                                No softener sheets
                                Add approximately a tablespoon of vinegar per towel during first rinse cycle. I then run a second rinse cycle.
                                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');