• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Yeah, the ColorX would be removed when dry, before applying the Nxt.

It is different if it is damp of course, things take longer. But once you have the ColorX on and off, the Nxt is even quicker, and easier to apply thin. So it will dry faster.

Washing is washing, of course takes a little time.
    Claying is quick, if you dont have much to remove.
    ColorX needs worked in just a little as you go, then let dry and remove.
    Then Nxt 2.0, all you have to do is rub it across each area of the car, then let dry and remove. Its the quickest step really.

If you wanted, you could do up to the ColorX one week, then wash and Nxt 2.0 the next week.

I can only say what I do, and once the ColorX is off, to me its a shame to stop.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Wait, I am so confused, you let the nxt 2.0 dry and then you remove it?!?! I thought you dont remove wax, or do you mean the normal, its white colored...and then you buff it off for the shiny result?
      Lol, Im sorry Im such a noob...
      Also, claying...well this car will be 5 days old soon, thats how new the paint is and its shiny smooth. So, do I really have to clay right off the bat??

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
        Wait, I am so confused, you let the nxt 2.0 dry and then you remove it?!?! I thought you dont remove wax, or do you mean the normal, its white colored...and then you buff it off for the shiny result?
        Lol, Im sorry Im such a noob...
        Yes, remove the residual when dry.

Also, claying...well this car will be 5 days old soon, thats how new the paint is and its shiny smooth. So, do I really have to clay right off the bat??
        My brand new Neon at the time had so much overspray and metal particles in the paint when I clayed it, the clay bar was shot when I was done. Cars are often railed then transported by truck to their destination and often times pick up nasties on the way.

How to Clay Bar - by Mike Phillips

Have fun!
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

1. Yes, a wax, or a cleaner/wax will dry to that white colored haze. That is what you would remove.

You want to think of it more like a thin white haze... some people go for a thick white cake, and that is way to thick. It will take longer to dry, and waste product.

So ColorX would dry to a haze, then be removed. Then Nxt 2.0 would be applied, dry to a haze, then remove.

2. I mean, everything is optional.... but for how easy claying is, it is definately getting off on the right foot. If there is nothing there, then you will wipe the clay bar over the car once, and be done (you will pick up a little that you can see at least).

And the clay is reusable, it is not wasted if you dont pick anything up. Just seal it up in a baggy with a spray of QD, and save it for summer or fall, when you feel like doing it again.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok awesome, well my next question is.... should I layer NXT 2.0 with 2 layers? if so....is it ok to do this, do the process you described above the first week, then the second week do a wash and apply another layer of nxt2.0?
            cuz washing the car wont remove the first layer correct?

Also, for each process including wash, what products do you reommend using for application? such as what to wash with, dry with, apply/remove the lube for QD/clay bar, applying / removing colorx, and finally applying nxt2.0 and removing it?

Comment

General Tarkin,

As noted so ably by Mat and Mark, the most important thing for you to do is to adopt a regular detailing regimen and to faithfully stick to it. As Barry Meguiar says, "Frequent car care is easy car care." Here is a regimen I formulated, based on my reading of various postings here on MOL. You may find it helpful. I urge you to watch the video on car washing. The single most important thing you can do is to learn how to wash your car properly, as bad washing technique will generate swirls in your paint finish.

Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen

Needed stuff:

Gold Class Car Wash
              Microfiber wash mitt
              Microfiber waffle-weave drying towel
              Microfiber towels (more the merrier)
              Tire/wheel brush
              2 foam or microfiber applicators
              Meguiar's Clay Bar kit
              ColorX or Cleaner Wax
              NXT Generation Tech Wax or HiTech Yellow Wax (M26)

Every one or two weeks:

1) Wash your car:

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

Dry with your waffle-weave towel. Some of us also like to first blot the water with a synthetic chamois called the Absorber.

Every two months:

2) Inspect paint surface. Gently run your hand over the surface. Is it smooth as glass? Do you feel bumps and rough spots? If you do, you need to clay your car:

How to Claybar Your Car

Typically, you will only need to claybar your car twice a year.

3) Apply a coat of ColorX or Cleaner Wax. Massage and work it into the paint. You are working it into and against the paint because you are hoping to clean the paint and remove light swirls, oxidization, and previous layers of wax. Allow it to haze and buff off.

Wait 15-30 minutes.

4) Apply a thin coat of NXT or M26. Allow to haze and buff off.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

awesome! Thanks a ton for all your guys helpfulness! question...how important is it to use those gritguard things or the buckets, cuz I dont have tons of money to spend on a bucket lol and they want like 40$ for their bucket setups, on up to 120$ for their dual one.
                So, whats the minimum I should use, would a normal bucket with the insert at bottom be fine? Do, I even have to use a gritguard, does it even help or is it a gimic thing....
                Reason I ask is Ive never heard of it before lol

Another question, so the first time I do this wash....if I go to try and clay the car yet all the paint feels smooth, then is the clay really needed on this process at this point in time? should I just wait till the paint feels rough after a wash? down the road?
                Or should I clay anyways?

Also, regarding the NXT...should I use paste, normal or the liquid/bottle?
                My wife is saying paste cuz her dad says it protects better and is thicker on the surface...
                But, I read on here its pretty much the same across all 3 types...
                whats the real deal? lol

Comment

awesome! Thanks a ton for all your guys helpfulness! question...how important is it to use those gritguard things or the buckets, cuz I dont have tons of money to spend on a bucket lol and they want like 40$ for their bucket setups, on up to 120$ for their dual one.
                  I bought my grit guard from Amazon.com for $8 (plus shipping) and my two 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot for $4 each. Don't worry about those expensive setups you can find at various websites.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

So, does that mean I must do more than just wash and wax the car?
                    I have to clean and prep paint before waxing?
                    On a new car???
                    Hopefully you only have to wash and wax a new car, just inspect the finish in the sun after washing and drying it and check for swirls, dealerships tend to instill swirls just by their own washing and detailing procedures as the then not to take this department as seriously as the sales department.

The most important thing you can do is to make sure everything that ever touches the paint is of premium quality and it's clean.

Clear coat paints tend to be harder than traditional paints but they will still scratch very easily, so anytime you touch the paint, as in washing, drying, applying and wiping off product you need to use clean soft cloths and applicators and use good technique.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Awesome, thanks for that mike. So, from what I understand so far, Its not necessary to use the clay or colorx unless after washing the car, I notice the paint does not feel smooth to the touch or I notice slight marks in it in sun...correct? Otherwise if paint is in good condition still then it would be ok to go right to NXT 2.0 and then when that starts wearing off like a month or 2 or 3 depending on environment conditions. Inspect the paint again and see if it needs clay / colorx and apply if needed?

Comment

Another question, so the first time I do this wash....if I go to try and clay the car yet all the paint feels smooth, then is the clay really needed on this process at this point in time? should I just wait till the paint feels rough after a wash? down the road?
                        Or should I clay anyways?
                        Let's say you have decided to polish and wax your car. After you wash it, inspect the paint surface. Gently rub your hand over the surface. Do you feel bumps and roughness. If you do, then you want to clay before polishing and waxing. If you don't, then skip the claybar. Typically, you will only clay a couple of times a year. You do not need to clay every time you wax.

I know that your car is new, but do not assume that it does not need to be clayed. Inspect the surface the next time you wash. You may be surprised. Claying is very easy and safe. Everyone loves the way the surface feels after it's been clayed. Crucial point: If you drop the claybar on the ground, throw it away. It will pick up the dirt and particles it touches on the ground and will thus become a scratch generator. A good tip is to break the claybar into two pieces before using it the first time. That way if you do drop one piece, you haven't lost the entire bar.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Alright awesome, I think Im startin to grasp the steps better. I still am confused about colorx...when should this be applied only if / when I clay is needed? should I then apply colorx after the clay?
                          If claying is not needed should I still apply it before my NXT coat or no?
                          Like how will I know if colorx is needed or not, or should I just expect to do this everytime I plan on applying NXT wax?

Comment

Also, regarding the NXT...should I use paste, normal or the liquid/bottle? My wife is saying paste cuz her dad says it protects better and is thicker on the surface ... But, I read on here its pretty much the same across all 3 types ... whats the real deal? lol
                            It's personal preference. Some prefer the liquid; others, the paste. In either case, be sure to apply a THIN layer. Thick coats simply make removal more difficult and are a waste of product, as only a portion of the applied wax ends up remaining on the surface.

If one intends to apply the wax by a polisher, then the liquid is to be preferred. But other than that, it's a toss-up, I think. The majority of the MOL brethren prefer the liquid (see poll results).
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

Awesome, now there are 3 products on NXT wax, the paste then traditional bottle then the spray bottle. Are both the bottle and spray bottle referred to as "liquid" one just being sprayed on?

Comment

Alright awesome, I think Im startin to grasp the steps better. I still am confused about colorx...when should this be applied only if / when I clay is needed? should I then apply colorx after the clay?
                                If claying is not needed should I still apply it before my NXT coat or no?
                                Like how will I know if colorx is needed or not, or should I just expect to do this everytime I plan on applying NXT wax?
                                Good question, and I'm not sure if one can give a definitive answer. A number of factors need to be considered: Is your car garaged? What kind of weather and environmental stuff is your car exposed to? How often do you intend to wax your car?

In the daily driver regimen article I suggested that a person might want to always use a cleaner wax, whether it be Cleaner Wax or ColorX, every time they wax. This is assuming that a person is waxing every 6-8 weeks or so. But if you intend to wax every month, for example, then you might want to use the cleaner wax after every other waxing. It probably doesn't matter, as long as you are washing your car regularly and are maintaining the protection. See Mosca's article: In Praise of Cleaner Wax!
                                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');