• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A look into Pad Priming - The Kevin Brown Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A look into Pad Priming

Pad priming can be used on all machines: DA, rotary, and Cyclo.

Kevin's paper will only cover the DA, though.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thanks Chris! I'm looking forward to give this a try. Hopefully soon.
      Scott

Comment

this is a great thread. my yellow foam pad was dusting when i was polishing... learned thsat i had a few dry spots on the pad and when it slightly tilt the g110 it would dust like as if i was shaving the pad. primed it will a little of 205 or whatever polish ill be using and viola... no more problems...
        - Markito -

Comment

If you've ever painted a room/surface with a roller you already now how to prime a pad; if you don't get the entire surface of the roller covered with paint when you start on your surface you're going to have voids where the roll is dry. You don't want to load the roller to the point where you can't move it from over the pan for fear of dripping, but rather an even amount. Same principle applies here, IMO.

Comment

Very true.

I would like to add that this method is NOT for use with products that use diminishing abrasives. If you use a product that uses abrasives that break down, there might be some inconsistent polishing because the abrasives break down randomly.
            Chris

Comment

That macro shot was ridiculous!
              1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

So, do you only prime the pad to start the polish process, or do you do this everytime you polish a new section?

Comment

You only need to prime the pad when you start polishing with a new or fresh pad. Then, you can add a bit of polish (four pea sized dots) and begin to work a section.

I like to polish really small sections at a time. So, I don't need to apply as much product as someone doing a 16x16 section. Once you have dialed in the amount of product needed, you should be fine.

Remember to switch out the pads as often as possible to maintain a constant level of cut.
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                    I like to polish really small sections at a time. So, I don't need to apply as much product as someone doing a 16x16 section.
                    I consider 16x16 a fairly small section. What size do you start with? 12x12?
                    Al
                    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I consider 3' x 3' small!!! LOL sheesh
                      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                        I consider 16x16 a fairly small section. What size do you start with? 12x12?
                        I work really small sections also. Most of the time, I'll work it by the inch, sometime I'll even bump it up to about a 6" square. But rarely go above that. For me, this is the ideal method. I get better results, and it fits my style. Been doing it this way for years now

Nick
                        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Very true.

I would like to add that this method is NOT for use with products that use diminishing abrasives. If you use a product that uses abrasives that break down, there might be some inconsistent polishing because the abrasives break down randomly.
                          Can you give example of diminishing abrasives and NON-diminishing abrasives ?
                          Meguiars M83 ?
                          Meguiar M95 ?
                          Meguiars M105 ?
                          Meguiars M205 ?
                          Menzerna SIP ?
                          Menzerna 106FF/106FA ?
                          Menzerna IP ?
                          Menzerna FP ?
                          3M Ultrafina ?

thanks in advance!
                          P.S. If you know, can you tell us how you know that a product is Dim. abra. and the other is non-dim.abra.

Comment

Re: A look into Pad Priming - The Kevin Brown Method

Sure!

Here are the products that use non-diminishing abrasives:
                            M86, M105, M205, D151, SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, and ScratchX 2.0

Here are the products that use diminishing abrasives:
                            M01, M02, M04, M06, M09, M19, M80, M82, M83, M84, M85, M95, DC1, and the original ScratchX.

The Meguiar's products that use non-diminishing abrasives should mention on the bottle that is uses Super-Micro Abrasive Technology.

All of the Menzerna products use diminishing abrasives. I did hear that they are developing a product that uses diamond dust, though. The only problem is that it costs a fortune.

Ultrafina uses diminishing abrasives (and a very durable filler).
                            Chris

Comment

Sure!

Here are the products that use non-diminishing abrasives:
                              M86, M105, M205, D151, SwirlX, Ultimate Compound, and ScratchX 2.0

Here are the products that use diminishing abrasives:
                              M01, M02, M04, M06, M09, M19, M80, M82, M83, M84, M85, M95, DC1, and the original ScratchX.

The Meguiar's products that use non-diminishing abrasives should mention on the bottle that is uses Super-Micro Abrasive Technology.

All of the Menzerna products use diminishing abrasives. I did hear that they are developing a product that uses diamond dust, though. The only problem is that it costs a fortune.

Ultrafina uses diminishing abrasives (and a very durable filler).
                              Thanks a lot Chris!
                              Very good info there!
                              Good thing about M95, i was about to use the "priming" method for it ... but since it's a diminishing abrasive, i won't use this method.

Comment

I primed CCS pads as per KB's recommendation on the past 4 cars I have done.

I am extremley pleased with the time savings and cutting ability.

I dont care if I use more product, product is extremely cheap, I gain time. Try this, you will not regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');