• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*NEW* Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish Review!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *NEW* Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish Review!!!!

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
    This might help you with the feather sanding.

guide to wet sanding

Andy
    Thanks Andy - I have seen that thread. Lots of good info for the beginner, but it isn't a Tim Lingor write up.

Shawn

Comment

Great Review not a ford fan but that paint is awesome!!! I love that blue! Great job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
        Another thorough, useful, and easy to follow write-up, Tim!

Write-ups of this caliber take an incredible amount of time to put together. This one is top-notch.
        It will be referenced for years to come. The write-up is good, but the paint is freaking killer!!

Yes, the M205 is a bit finicky. For me, this is not to be looked upon as a bad thing.
        Adjustments made to pressure, speed, and quantity of liquid being applied allow the user to make it work on virtually any paint type.
        It just takes patience. Most of the time, M205 is a no-brainer.
        Simply prime the pad, apply some polish, work it for two or three slow passes, and you are looking at glorious clarity and gloss.

In years past, a guy had to invest hundreds of hours learning how to best handle a rotary buffer.
        Honestly, the rotary was the best choice available to seriously revitalize and beautify automotive paint.
        Then!- he had to spend extra time on every paint job figuring out the best combination of these parameters:
        • Buffer speed (low, high, low and then high, and on and on)
        • Applied pressure
        • Buffing pad or pads
        • Polishing liquid or liquids
        • Quantity of liquid per application
        • Whether to buff the surface dry or not

This could sometimes take several hours!
        Not to mention the time to wipe or wash the car to remove abrasive or chemical residue.
        Then when you figure the high danger factor while using a rotary... Wow.
        A long polishing session could really wear you out!

Now, as your pictures and write-up confirms... It's just not that hard to do anymore.
        As you mentioned, there's still adjustments we can make in order to wring out the best results per car.
        That being said... It is sooo much easier to do with products like M205 and the random-orbital.

BTW- That garage looks like it was designed for a catalog... Mmmm. Cozy.
        Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the post!

Agreed. Like I said, just as with any product, M205 does have a slight learning curve. But once you get it dialed in for that particular paint, it works awesome! And just like you told me, "It is the real deal" I could not agree more!

As for the garage, well...I always wanted a garage that I could use mostly for detailing. So when my wife and I bought this house, we made sure the garage was set up just the way I wanted it. You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean which sometimes is hard to do.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
          You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean which sometimes is hard to do.
          Tim
          True.
          I'll bet you cruise out there once in awhile just to straighten up.
          It can be relaxing. Beats pulling weeds or shoveling snow.
          Kevin Brown
          NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
            True.
            I'll bet you cruise out there once in awhile just to straighten up.
            It can be relaxing. Beats pulling weeds or shoveling snow.
            Yes I do. I am always in there! I enjoy having everything organized so that I know where everything is as this makes it so much easier for detailing etc.

And yes, I hate pulling weeds and from our chats, you know how much snow I have had this year! UGH!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
              .....You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean which sometimes is hard to do.
              I have a hard time seeing your garage getting dirty! At least from my point of view!!!!!!!

It always looks top notch!

Thanks for your help with the Rotary tips too! it sure helped on my recent detail
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Used M205 today on a cobalt that wasnt all that bad. Really nice product!
                2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                2005 Honda CRF250R
                2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

just used it on my 1999 dodge neon pics to follow i used ultra cut compound with rotary and then ultra finishing polish followed up by a synthetic sealant and i use synthetic spray detailer on a daily basis and nxt gen tech wax 2.0 once a month to keep it show car perfect meguiars keeps on impressing me by coming out with new products that make the gloss and shine even more shiny

Comment

sorry noob posting

I just bought the ultra finishing polish and i was wondering if this polish would substitute my third step which has always been the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0?

I understand that both compounds remove scratches so would it be pointless to use the 2.0 scratch X?

Comment

ScratchX 2.0 will be stronger than #205.... so you would want to do your test spots with #205, and see if it is strong enough for your job. If not, then try the ScratchX.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

oh really...M205 is really expensive and states that they will remove most scratches permanently. Paid a little over 100 bucks for it on the Meguiars direct website. Also I bought the synthetic wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitevisi0n View Post
                          oh really...M205 is really expensive and states that they will remove most scratches permanently. Paid a little over 100 bucks for it on the Meguiars direct website. Also I bought the synthetic wax.
                          Meguiar's M205 is an ultra fine polish that will remove minor hazing and light marring. Since my review, this thread, I have had the opportunity to try it on all kinds of finishes and have discovered that it works awesome on 95% of the finishes! I can assure you, if you use it after the major compounding or paint correction with M105, and use the M205 with a W-9207 Finishing Pad, you will be astounded with the clarity of the finish!!!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                            I have a hard time seeing your garage getting dirty! At least from my point of view!!!!!!!

It always looks top notch!

Thanks for your help with the Rotary tips too! it sure helped on my recent detail
                            Hey Aaron,

Yeah...I like to keep my garage tidy as it makes it a lot easier to control dust etc when detailing.

As for the rotary tips, you are very welcome! Any time you need help, just let me know!

Tim

Comment

so m105 is a better version of the scratch X 2.0? What pad would i use for this application?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitevisi0n View Post
                                so m105 is a better version of the scratch X 2.0? What pad would i use for this application?

Meguiar's M105 is FAR more aggressive than ScratchX and should only be used if the paint requires it. It is the strongest compound Meguiar's offers, but yet leaves a surprisingly good finish that requires only a light polish to remove its haze.

If you need M105, on a DA polisher I would use it with a W-8207 Polishing Pad. Follow this with M205 and a W-9207 Finishing Pad. Use speed 5 on the DA for both of these steps.

But here is the question: What kind of car are you working on? Can you post photos of the paint problems you are trying to solve etc???

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');