• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the best shine out of a black car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the best shine out of a black car

I need a little info. I have been a user of Mequiars everything since I started driving but now want to perfect the art of waxing. My dad always told me the wax and polish do not work together and my question is to get the best shine out of a black car what do I need to do? I have the polish, cleaner wax, gold class wax, spray detailer, swirl x ect, literally I almost have everything but should I use the cleaner wax, then polish, then the gold class wax in order? Will that give me the deepest shine or is there another or better way?

Bill
    Having a black car is not a hobby, its a full time job!

Re: Turtle Wax Black Box

Originally posted by Bigmerc2003 View Post
    I need a little info. I have been a user of Mequiars everything since I started driving but now want to perfect the art of waxing. My dad always told me the wax and polish do not work together and my question is to get the best shine out of a black car what do I need to do? I have the polish, cleaner wax, gold class wax, spray detailer, swirl x ect, literally I almost have everything but should I use the cleaner wax, then polish, then the gold class wax in order? Will that give me the deepest shine or is there another or better way?

Bill
    If you wanted to start a new thread, and even share a pic or two, we can really get a lot more in depth. But for right now:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. SwirlX
    4. Polish
    5. Wax - 2 thin coats.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: How to get the best shine out of a black car

Hi Bill,

Since this is your first post on the MOL forum,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I pulled your first post and Matt's reply out of the below thread and started your own dedicated thread for your questions, that way it gives your questions full attention instead of being tagged onto another topic.

Turtle Wax Black Box

As to your comments and questions, what your dad told you may have been true about some other company's products, or about mixing one company's products with a different company's products but it doesn't hold true for our polishes and waxes and some of our polishes have been around over 100+ years and we introduced our first wax for automobiles in 1951, so if there were any problems we would have investigated them and solved any related issues in the last 6 to 11 decades.

When you stay inside a product line there is Synergistic Chemical Compatibility.

That is the chemist knows best how to make all the follow-up products in a system because they formulated the initial use or first step products in the system. All products being made by the same chemist enables the chemist to insure chemical compatibility across the line.

Before making any recommendations on products and process,
      1. What are you working on?
      2. What is your car care goal?
      3. Are you doing all your paint care work by hand or machine and if by machine, what type of machine?

Machine Photos - DA Polishers - Rotary Buffers - Traditional Orbital Buffers

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi, Bill.

Concerning the products you now have: You should think of the Cleaner Wax as a maintenance wax to be periodically used in between major detailing sessions--so put it aside for the moment, while you concentrate on getting your car in good condition. Mat (Murr1525) has suggested a good process for you.

1) Wash the car: you need to learn how to wash your car properly, as poor technique can be a major cause of swirls. See this video:

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

2) Claying the car: you will want to clay the car before a major detail. See this video:

How to Claybar Your Car

3) Polish the car: here is where your SwirlX comes into play (you may also need to pick up a bottle of Ultimate Compound).

4) Glaze the car: the application of a pure polish (Deep Crystal 2, #7, etc.) is optional, but with a black car you may find that it adds that little bit extra witness that we black car owners love.

5) Wax the car: apply your Gold Class Wax (two coats).

When you get finished, you won't believe how good your car looks!

You may be able to get all the above done in one day, but you may wish to allow two days.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
        Al

P.S. After you have brought your car up to snuff, you will then want to maintain it properly. This article may be helpful: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen. Substitute your Gold Class for the article's wax suggestions.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info. My goal is simple, I just want that deep wet looking shine. The car looks good now but I need that WOW! factor. I do all wax and polishing by hand, thats the way my dad taught me because he saw too many people burn the paint with buffers.

A little backgroud on my car, I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder (black of course) that is really a garage queen. No winters, rain, cloudy days it is really a sunny summer day car.

One concern I have is with the amount of wax on the car. Can there be too much? Because the car does not see rain or element the wax should not break down or wash away as fast right? Do I need to clean off the off wax or is that where the cleaner wax comes into play? Each year I start with the cleaner wax, then the polish, then the final wax. Can someone also give me some tips on the swirl x and ultimate compund? I saw a few people caused more problems by doing it wrong.

Thanks again to all and I will try to get some pics up soon,

Bill

Comment

A little backgroud on my car, I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder (black of course) that is really a garage queen. No winters, rain, cloudy days it is really a sunny summer day car.

One concern I have is with the amount of wax on the car. Can there be too much? Because the car does not see rain or element the wax should not break down or wash away as fast right? Do I need to clean off the off wax or is that where the cleaner wax comes into play? Each year I start with the cleaner wax, then the polish, then the final wax. Can someone also give me some tips on the swirl x and ultimate compund? I saw a few people caused more problems by doing it wrong.
            Ahh, a pampered garage queen! That changes everything.

You do not need to remove previously applied coats of wax before you wax again. Most of us here are happy to top up our waxes whenever we deem the previously applied wax is starting to fail or just when we want to apply a fresh coat of wax. How often one should "clean" the paint (either with a cleaner/polish (like SwirlX) or with a cleaner wax (like ... Cleaner Wax) depends on the condition of the paint and the amount of contamination. If your Merc is a garage queen, then its paint will not need to be clayed and cleaned nearly as often as a daily driver. No hard and fast rules here.

Just remember to apply a thin layer of wax. A thin layer makes it easier to wipe off the dried residue.

As far as SwirlX and Ultimate Compound, I'll let the experienced pros guide you. Do a TEST SPOT!

Cheers,
            Al
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Do you have a lot of swirls and scrathes to fix up?
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

There are a few swirls from the dealer buffing it, but nothing too bad. there are a couple of very thin scratchs that are not really visabl but i can see them so they are anoying and a bird poop stain! I have got a lot of info so far so I will jump into the wax in a week or two when we get a little warmer.

Thanks again guys

Comment

There are a few swirls from the dealer buffing it, but nothing too bad. there are a couple of very thin scratchs that are not really visabl but i can see them so they are anoying and a bird poop stain! I have got a lot of info so far so I will jump into the wax in a week or two when we get a little warmer.

Thanks again guys
                  My black car is in the exact same condition. I am going to look for the clay bar kit and use that, I just waxed my car with Tech Wax 2.0 yesterday.
                  PlastX (G12310), ColorX 1.0 (G11816), ScratchX 1.0 (10307), NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (G12718), Ultimate Quik Detailer (G14422), Supreme Shine Protectant (G4016), Smooth Surface Clay Kit (G1016), Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes (G10900), Quik Interior Detailer Wipes (G13600)

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');